Is Mcintosh worth the investment?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylNewGuy, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylNewGuy

VinylNewGuy Member Thread Starter

Don't want to start a negative/bashing tread. Just a simple question.

I currently use a Onkyo 876 as my 2ch amp and I've been thinking about getting a integrated or 2ch receiver. Leaning towards an Outlaw RR2150...

I've always lusted after vintage and current high end gear. I also want to have something to pass down to my children. I could swing a midrange or second hand Mcintosh.

Would it be worth it to make the jump?

2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I don't know how to answer that question. Why don't you audition some Mac gear and see if you like it?

3. "Worth it" is such an arbitrary question.
    What you consider a good deal is just that, a good deal to you and maybe only you...but who do you need to make happy in the end?
    McIntosh gear, especially some certain models, have held a pretty steady value in the audio market for a long time.
    As long as your McIntosh gear is in working order and looks great it will retain a relatively high value
    Take a look at Terry DeWicks web site. He has all sorts of McIntosh gear for sale, to repair, or to simply reference and you can get a good feel for the value of the gear.
    McIntosh gear is pretty durable too so unless you do something harsh to it things should work for a long time.
    I like my McIntosh gear but you need to listen to things and decide for yourself if you like it.

4. VinylNewGuy

Thank you. That is the feed back I was looking for.

I figure if I am going to buy a new receiver I might as well get something good. Lol.

I'll have to get to a dealer and check them out.

Simon A and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

For me, I would say that you do get value for your investment in McIntosh equipment if you can afford it. I think there's a lot of positives as far as performance, appearance, reliability and resale value.

Personally, I would like to have one of their integrated amplifiers, but they are more money than I'm willing to spend at this point in my life. After the kids get through college, I may be able to re-evaluate that stance because they would be a terrific match for my Sonus Faber speakers.

6. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Vintage gear is neat, just remember that newer interconnects and speaker cables can be nearly an order of magnitude larger/bulkier than those built in vintage times.
    The original 275s were/are the stuff of legend. The Grateful Dead powered their legendary "Wall of Sound" with McIntosh amplifiers.

Daedalus, duneman and searing75 like this.
  7. VinylNewGuy

Thanks! :)

I am slowly planning out a 2ch system and migrating from my repurposed HT gear. I would prob get a MAC6700 because sometime I like to just have the radio on for background or interim sounds. Also hoping to drive a set of Philharmonics... I can't wait. If only money grew on trees!

8. VinylNewGuy

For example, I enjoy my Onkyo gear and really don't have any reason to replace my 876 other than I like the appearance of other brands and I really don't need a 7ch receiver with video processing.

One thing that bugs me is Onkyo really doesn't have good value. My (msrp) $1400 receiver can prob be picked up for under $500 now.

Depreciation is a fact of life for electronics and I hate it. Other brands seem to do better, one being Mcintosh.

9. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Don't know if the term "investment" applies here. That would imply some expected level of financial return. Folks tend to use that word to justify a costly purchase. The wife uses that all time in her plots to convince us to buy something big. :uhhuh:

Meanwhile, if you are the type of person who likes to swap out A/V gear often. Then buying used Mac gear will likely mitigate losses better than mainstream stuff (maybe even hold value). Then there is the iconic design and Made-In-USA thing to consider, as well. Else, if those things are not key but you want something nice to use 'til it dies...there are much cheaper options than Mac (like that Outlaw receiver).

SquishySounds likes this.
  10. VinylNewGuy

I don't swap out gear often. No way wife would allow that. However, if I can justify it... Err. Convince her I need a new piece of equipment. Lol

Also high up on my "value" list is the ability to hand it down to my children. Maybe my kid won't care about it in 50 years. But I sure wish I had my dads old a/v gear!

John Schofield and Bolero like this.
  11. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Although your intentions are noble, the "fiscal conservative" advice would be to pocket the large difference and invest it for them instead. I have been reading up on things like this lately. I have learned the likelihood our kids will care about such material inheritances are slim. Heck, my son hates my music!
    :mudscrying:

12. MaltairX

MaltairX Well-Known Member

I agree with you about the misuse of the word investment on what is really just an expense. On the other hand, when the dollar becomes worth pennies, stuff will be of more value for bartering. So maybe it is an investment to buy audio gear. ;)

13. VinylNewGuy

Lol guys. I guess investment was a bad choice. I just meant something that down the road will still retain some sort of value.

On the other hand paying $x,xxx. dollars for a piece of audio equipment is sort of a investment to me... That's a lot of money. I don't expect a return at all... But I do expect some sort of retention. Unlike my Onkyo or any other bit of A/V gear I've owned... Cough cough... Rear projection tv... :p

14. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Not picking on you...just having fun conversations!

VinylNewGuy likes this.
  15. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

I'd KILL for Macintosh gear. The Outlaw sounds as muffled as the low-end Yamaha receivers. If you got the dough, don't hesitate.

16. McLover

McLover Senior Member

McIntosh is worth it, at least buying used. They sound great, are reliable and conservatively engineered, and parts and service support great even on 40-50 year old gear. Many McIntosh components made in the 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's are still in daily use. They are Heirloom grade, built to last nearly forever.

17. Jimi Floyd

Jimi Floyd Forum Resident

Few years ago I bought a second hand MA6900 integrated amplifier. Three years later I sold it for more $$$ than I originally paid for it. I think this is almost impossible with any other brand's gear.

Rickchick likes this.
  18. russk

russk Forum Resident

Yes if its tube gear. Short of destroying it you will always be able to resell it for more than you paid as long as you hold onto it for aa couple of years and it sounds fantastic.

Rolltide likes this.
  19. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

For a better return to upfront cost ratio, it is usually far more advantageous to buy used or vintage McIntosh.

You mentioned a MAC6700 which I believe is still a current model therefore fairly expensive, even used. I think it retails somewhere around $6,500 or more but you might get lucky on our favorite auction site with a motivated seller.

To wit:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MCINTOSH-MA...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

20. searing75

searing75 Forum Resident

Solid state Mcintosh gear is wonderful, and it too appreciates nicely! I dream of having. MC 2100 soon! I use an MC50 in my guitar rig, and it was a huge upgrade!

McLover and Humbuster like this.
  21. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

I began my audio journey with lower end Pioneer receivers. Gradually I improved until I was able to pick up a gently used MC2105 and C28 preamp. I can honestly say I no longer look for upgrades. I've reached my audio nirvana.

John Woo, Waylon9 and The Pinhead like this.
  22. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

I thought Macintosh was all hype until I heard one. With the right tubes and setup, you don't look back.

amgradmd likes this.
  23. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Muffled? What speakers was it driving?

bhazen likes this.
  24. VinylNewGuy

What models had integrated am/fm and also when did they start adding HD radio?

Are there other SS models to keep my eye open for? Probably try to keep it around $2500ish.

25. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Well...hope the Mac gear is more reliable than my PS Audio amp. Two trips to the factory for repair$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.