Is Mcintosh worth the investment?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by VinylNewGuy, Nov 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

From the technical side, your idea seems to make sense, except for one thing. The d150 can be used as a standalone DAC or as a digital pre-amp/DAC, and yes it has headphone jack/amplifier, but I don't think it could be used to drive speakers directly. If you use the d150 as a digital pre-amp, you would typically connect the variable outputs to a power amplifier, which would be used to drive your speakers. If you use the d150 as a standalone DAC only, you would run your fixed outputs to a pre-amp, which would then feed a power amplifier. The point is that any way you look at it, if you want to play music through speakers you will need an amplifier in the chain.

For what you are looking for, you might consider one of the nice McIntosh integrated amplifier units. It would have a DAC, phono stage, headphone amp and stereo amplifier all built into one unit. The one thing you would be missing then would be the analog to digital converter, but you could add on later.

2. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Thank you for the response.

In regards to the D150, couldn't I plug Yamaha HS80M's (actively powered monitor speakers) into the XLR outputs of the D150 and have sound from both the PC and the turntable go to the speakers?

3. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You can definitely use the D150 as a preamp for the speakers and run USB audio from the computer, but I don't understand how the turntable comes into play unless the speakers have two sets of inputs. The D150 is strictly digital, so the phono preamp can't be connected to it unless you used an analog to digital converter, which would be kind of silly.

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  4. Joey_Corleone

My bad - I didn't notice you had said your speakers were active monitors. In that case, the amplifier is built into the speakers and what you are saying should work fine.

5. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

I think if you can swing it, the MHA150 would be the better deal as its more flexible (has analog inputs, can drive passive speakers, is a better headphone amp), and the meters look cool and add to resale value.

Hendertuckie likes this.
  6. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Yeah I was wondering about that part too. So in this instance I'd be running the RCA's from the turntable into the MP100 phono preamp and a coaxial from the phono preamp output into the coaxial input of the D150. I know in theory it works, but am I "losing" anything when I do that? It is obviously not an all analog chain anymore at that point but if I'm not crippling what I'm hearing in hooking it up that way (and if I'm buying ~$5,000 gear I'd really hope that's the case) then I can live with that scenario.

7. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I had my eye on the MHA150 too as opposed to the D150, yes. So what do you see as the primary differences between that and the D150 beyond a better headphone amp & also can drive passive speakers? Are those the primary differences?

I also noticed on the MHA150 that it doesn't have XLR outputs so if I used my monitors I'd need to use TRS to RCA. So I was wondering if passive speakers might be the better way to go with the MHA150.

8. Joey_Corleone

I think you will also find that once you get into the McIntosh level of stuff at the pre-stage/DAC you will naturally want to progress later into amps and some better passive speakers. I would look at some components that will give you what you want now with the ability to grow later if you want.

9. Joey_Corleone

It really would not be ideal. What you would be doing there would be taking the analog signal from your LP's, then using the MP100 to convert it from analog --> digital, then using your dac to convert it back from digital --> analog. Kind of a hack, especially with components in this price range

10. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I'm just getting the feeling that Mc products will not give you the versatility you desire within your budgetary boundaries. Methinks you might be happier with other robust/mo' versatile units.
    Mc's strength, IMO, is in their amps (including pre's). Possibly I'm confused, but are you attempting to too many links in your chain...attempting to force the Mc into the pic?
    Anyhoo.....happy hunting!

Joey_Corleone likes this.
  11. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

That's very possible, yes.

I guess in the end I've just had my eye on upgrading my DAC/Phono preamp that I use and McIntosh caught my eye. I know that I have multiple things in play that I want to all play well together (PC/Headphones/Speakers/Turntable) and that can make it a bit tough to make it all work.

And I do see that a combination of the MHA150 and MP100 WOULD work for what I want to do, I guess I'm just trying to wrap my head around what kind of tangible difference that expense may make. And I know that's a tough question to definitively answer, but it's just understandably on my mind considering the cost. I think I just want tangibly better sound/components then what my X7/Cambridge preamp are capable of and I imagine I just don't know the products out there that would definitely be better and can do the same things.

12. Slick Willie

If I'm getting this right, with your powered speakers, that amp will be what you will hear. No matter what is up-chain. Your choke point if you will. Now if you use the Mc to power your cans, then you should be able to discern a difference. But they must also be worthy of what they are fed.
    Your particular situation does not seem typical for the usual Mc owner.
    All just IMO.

Rolltide likes this.
  13. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

You're going to need to upgrade your sources and speakers along with the amp/preamp to get a significantly better sound IMO. I don't think McIntosh is probably the best use of your overall audio budget at this stage. Down the road with more complimentary gear to pair it with, McIntosh might be in your future.

Slick Willie likes this.
  14. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

tyler8 and Hendertuckie like this.
  15. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I thought that may be the case with my speakers/headphones, thank you. I've been considering upgrading them recently anyway so I will probably start to look in to that more.

Slick Willie likes this.
  16. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

$5,000 in McIntosh components with $700/pair speakers? I do not believe those speakers will be sufficiently revealing to make a $5K McIntosh investment worthwhile. Instead, spend $5K on new speakers and a new amp and I believe you'll experience a startling sonic improvement.

Slick Willie likes this.
  17. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I would think that depends on the speakers and how the owner fells about them. I have $3000 mains being driven by almost $20K in amplification and they are glorious! Beauty is always in the......

18. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

Yeah I hear you, and this was in my mind from the beginning.

I think the speakers may be where I'm having a bit of a hard time making a decision on a definitive upgrade though and a part of that is probably because these are only ever going to be bookshelf-sized speakers that are going to sit on my desk and used for both the PC and my turntable. I mean the HS80M are pretty good sized speakers but at the same time that's probably as big as I'm ever going to go considering where they sit.

We're now treading into "off topic" conversation for this thread so I imagine these will probably be my final questions in it, but do you have any kind of initial thoughts on speakers/amps that I should maybe take a look at for a good step-up upgrade? Do you think it's ok to stick with monitors, or or passives & an amp going to give me more?

The other path I had been tossing around was changing my HS80M's to Adam AX7's, and going with a Schiit Gungnir/Mjolnir stack. But from everything I've seen on those 2 components, connecting everything all at once may not be possible. I'm not sure if I would be able have both the PC and the turntable hooked up at the same time to output to both the speakers and headphones AND have a line-in option for the turntable to record vinyl to digital. The only thing I can potentially see is that on the RCA input of the Mjolnir I'd have a splitter and put the RCA's from both the phono preamp and the Gungnir there, but I don't think that even works because I don't see how having the turntable RCA's going in there allows the turntable to be played through the speakers, just the headphones. It seems like the Schiit Jotunheim is the only one where I KNOW I could do all of these things in 1, but I question whether or not that would be a legitimate upgrade from what I already have.

I know it's multiple things I'm trying to make play well together, but I guess it's just what I'm hoping for.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  19. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

If you're looking for small bookshelf speaker, similiar in size to your Yamaha HS80M, I'd take a look at Harbeth P3ESR speakers along with an REL or SVS subwoofer. According to an internet search, the Yamahas measure 15"x10"x9". The Harbeths measure a more compact 12"x7.5"x7.5". I haven't been in the market for a power amp for a while, so I'll let others chime in with suggestions.

20. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Well a $5,000 pair of speakers that you don't like aren't going to do you any favors either...;)

In any case, I'm a firm believer speakers should not be chosen on the basis of price - high or low.

BayouTiger and Slick Willie like this.
  21. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

My D100 (earlier version of the D150) is used primarily as a DAC and headphone amp. The D150 should work fine and be very dependable. Good solid piece of equipment.

For smaller speakers the Harbeths previously mentioned should sound nice or look at the Bryston Mini A. Great reviews and 20 year warranty to boot!

22. Slick Willie

Wurd!!!!

62caddy likes this.
  23. feinstei9415

feinstei9415 Forum Resident

I would not buy any new McIntosh components from any of their dealers. I would take a look at AudioKarma's McIntosh interest group to see the story of a guy who bought a very expensive high-end McIntosh MX-151 Home Theatre Controller from an authorized dealer (Magnolia HiFi in Seattle). The HDMI failed on the unit within the warranty period but McIntosh refused to honor the warranty because Magnolia had the unit in its inventory for too long a time before selling it.

Here's a link to the story:
    MX151 HDMI issues | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

24. 62caddy

62caddy Forum Resident

Because of the actions of one unscrupulous dealer is reason to question the integrity of all dealers?

Clearly, the dealer was well aware of the warranty situation with the unit in question at the time of sale and chose not disclose this fact to the buyer. Not only is this not McIntosh's fault, but to guarantee a unit that is no longer under warranty can & may set precedent, potentially exposing McIntosh to legal action for all units out of warranty.

FashionBoy likes this.
  25. John Woo

John Woo Well-Known Member

when i put up my MC7270 power amp for sale, the guy who came to buy from me already owned a range of McIntosh gears
    he told me the local Mclntosh agent told him the best made Mclntosh models were those made in the 80s as then their engineering team
    was the "peak performing" group since. so he rushed over n grabbed my MC7270 and i sold it for S$200 more than what i bought it for.

my technician also told me after having service numerous Mclntosh gears, that the older models are better made.

i also have owned a MA6900 which i had to sell due to then i had some financial commitments and it was a v sad day for me. if funds permit, i would like to have a pre/power both fm Mclntosh.... 80s-early 90s models please.

62caddy and MisterBritt like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.