Is Mick Jagger the greatest frontman of all time?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRD, Aug 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yep.

Meyer likes this.
  2. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

It's okay, no worries.

3. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The CONSTANT replaying of the Wembley concert.

4. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

That's not a "sympathetic AIDS-related media" news story.

Steve M. likes this.
  5. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

No, but it did a lot to put Freddie in the public eye here again. There was definitely a subtext of "look how amazing Freddie Mercury was."

6. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

North America missed out on Mercury's amazingness throughout the 80s, so I don't see that as odd really. It sounds more like "Oh, look what we missed" once he'd gone.

It's not usual after any musician dies to replay their performances. The media would've put that out because people would've wanted that at the time - they go by ratings.

You can hardly call a Queen at Wembley concert "sympathetic AIDS-related media" coverage though. It's just a concert being shown of Freddie and Queen. Because he died? Sure, but If that's the case alone, then all the footage / concerts of Bowie that were shown earlier this year on TV were cancer related.

And what was said on this thread earlier, "Mercury's legacy soared in the USA thanks to AIDS-related sympathetic media coverage".... Surely, going by a concert being shown. that ought to have been "Mercury's legacy soared in the USA thanks to concerts and footage of him being shown after he passed" (although, I wouldn't say his legacy has soared there, it's nothing like it is outside north America).

And that was the argument from a few people, his legacy was down to his songs / voice / performances. Nothing to do with him dying of AIDS. However he died, he still would've had that concert shown, even if it was shown constantly at the time.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    Steve M. likes this.
  7. flako

flako Forum Resident

I think it's time to move on from this sub-topic, it really doesn't have to be settled anyhow.

Tristero and tkl7 like this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Yeah, but the whole way things were covered back then was different. You have to remember, this was before the 24 hour news cycle. MTV changing their programming around (mostly videos back then) to play a Queen Concert over and over and over again, was a big deal, just like constant MTV news reports about Freddie was a big deal. This kind of stuff isn't going to be searchable in google. Most any news coverage prior to 1995 or so, is probably not archived, unless it was the top story. Freddie was not the top story, but AIDS was a very big deal, and as a result, his death got a lot of attention for the time.

squittolo likes this.
  9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Sadly, I must disagree as far as the USA goes.

10. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

But Queen was a big deal in the U.S back in the late 70s till 1980. I wouldn't say Prince was that big deal in the U.K before he died. He used to be though.

Speaking of which, didn't MTV do something unusual for the times we're in now recently, by playing Prince videos all day?

MTV would've only done that because it's what the people wanted, if it gets viewers, then they're happy. It's still not, "sympathetic AIDS-related media" coverage. It's just a Wembley concert being replayed for ratings after the death of a rock star.

The Queenzone have pretty much everything archived, if not, they remember. They're super Queen fans remember.

I notice on Stephen J's comment above, that instead of ""sympathetic AIDS-related media coverage" (two months of it), it's now "positive media coverage". If the argument fails, then I guess changing the description is one tactic that might work.

It's not as if Freddie's legacy soared in the U.S anyway. There was a moment, of Bohemian Rhapsody charting high, and an interest in their older music. That's about it.
    The adulation for Freddie / Queen remains outside of the U.S, far, far more than in it.

Steve M. likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

The problem, again, is that you are not really recognizing that the media was completely different at the time, and the way AIDS was covered would really shock you. There were really 3 people who changed the way people with AIDS were covered in the US media. Ryan White, Freddie Mercury and Magic Johnson. A person with no frame of reference for the way people with AIDS were shunned, would probably think that Freddie Mercury got very little coverage, but a person who lived through it will see it quite the opposite. It's simply a matter of perspective.

Stephen J, ShawnX and Pete Puma like this.
  12. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

People who did live through it have commented, but because they've disagreed, they've been dismissed as "rabid Queen fans", and that's certainly not the case for one of them who has only their first few albums. And it's not as if Freddie was just another person. Queen were huge in the late 70s to 1980 in the U.S.

Being as overall, Freddie's legacy didn't really permanently soar in the U.S, for example, artistically, I've only very recently seen kind articles from Rolling Stone magazine. And commercially, the point was previously made about Made In Heaven - then to say, "Freddie Mercury's legacy permanently soared because of the sympathetic AIDS-related media" is nothing other than codswallop. Outside north America, Queen were always big. Before and after Freddie's passing. In north America, they had their moment from the late 70s to 1980 or thereabouts (there was what I regard as their worst track Body Language reaching no.1 in Canada in '82 too - that's bizarre), and that's pretty much it. Aside from the Wayne's World / Bohemian Rhapsody moment.

Steve M. and ShawnX like this.
  13. search&destroy

search&destroy Well-Known Member

iggy pop is.....was:help:

14. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Well, I disagree with the premise that there was only a brief period of renewed interest because of Wayne's World. In fact, I think that Wayne's World wouldn't have happened if there wasn't already a degree of renewed interest in Queen due to 1. Freddie's very public death, 2. Axl Rose claiming Freddie as a huge influence, and 3. Hollywood Records releasing Queen's albums on CD in the US, all of which happened around the same time.

15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Didn't Axl say that at the Freddie tribute concert? April '92 if memory serves me. I don't know if the renewed interest in Queen latest that long in the U.S. I guess maybe it did.

No matter what, it's wasn't a case of Freddie Mercury's legacy permanently soaring because of the sympathetic AIDS-related media though. It never permanently soared in the U.S. And for the rest of the world, it certainly wasn't about AIDS-related media.

That statement was pure nonsense.

Steve M. likes this.
  16. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

I thought he died of aids

There, stop
    Resume thread elsewhere

Sondek likes this.
  17. audiotom

I was referring to current material

The Stones and Floyd tours may have been big but nobody had popular new current material

Steel Wheels faired about as well as Hot Space to those under 25

18. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

I nominate Robert Pollard.

19. audiotom

I find it funny that there was such a high demand for washed up Queen that they could bring in A stand in Paul Rodgers years later and draw big crowds and sell cds and videos of the shows

20. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Oh yeah, here's a Queen+ Paul Rodgers concert....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to mention Queen+ Lambert (although, I don't really care for his style). But they've been selling out shows - in the U.S too.

When I was a teen - in the early 90s, the following groups were what my friends were listening to (off the top of my head): The Cure, Guns N' Roses, Nirvana, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, Queen (older music, but we were in the UK, so...), The Cult, and The Beatles White album, and a little later in the early 90s, The Prodigy.

None of my friends listened to The Rolling Stones. Maybe it's because The Rolling Stones were old from the perspective of our teenage selves, and it was old peoples music.
    Freddie never seemed old. He just didn't look as good when he got ill. It was strange as he became a recluse. The next thing, he was gone. Although, I remember watching the Freddie Mercury tribute and thinking that Brian May and Roger Taylor had gotten old. That's how young I was. Funny thing is, the last time I saw that, they didn't look old to me at all.

But The Rolling Stones always seemed ancient. By the 90s, The Rolling Stones weren't being listened to by teenagers. I didn't know anyone who listened to them back then.
    I guess some might find that unbelievable, but it shouldn't come as a surprise if you consider that The Rolling Stones total certified album sales in the U.K amount to the same number as Queen's global sales for their Made in Heaven album: 7.500 million.
    However, there were plenty listening to Guns N' Roses and Nirvana.... and drum and bass, of course.

Steve M. and audiotom like this.
  21. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I second your nomination. Anything to change the topic away from Queen and their shifting fortunes in the U.S. in the 80s and 90s!

22. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Again, I was under 25 at the time, and you are wrong.

Pete Puma and Dudley Morris like this.
  23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

And the Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd were a fair amount older than Queen, so we wouldn't necessarily expect them to be as fresh as they were in their prime, but they still shifted units and filled stadiums.

Pete Puma likes this.
  24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

Pink Floyd are excellent.

25. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Mick Jagger. Greatest Frontman Ever?

Maybe. But...what about Robert Plant? Iggy's Pop? David Lee Roth? To name but three.

Honestly, I'd rather see LZ in 72 then the Stones. And I would rather see the Stooges in 70 then both!

And I saw VH in 82 and, well...DLR is the greatest frontman I've personally seen.

Freddie M, Steven Tyler, Morrissey can all make claims on the role.

flako likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.