Is movie dialogue getting harder to hear for you?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dillydipper, Jul 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Then, this thread must be irrelevant to you.

tomhayes, Battlestar frustrates me as well. Seems, between the music, fx and the constant processing and correcting of the processing both from SciFi Network itself, and the compression/limiting from the cable company, the dialogue is harder to locate than Earth! Maybe someday I'll rent a DVD, and just pull down everything but the center channel, and figure out whether I'm watching the same series the producers think they're making...!

But again, DVD's are not my issue here, or any home video experience that I can control myself; it's what goes on in the movie theater sound system that's troubling to me. For instance: did anybody see The Golden Compass at the theater, and wonder why so many characters would rattle-out so much expository dialogue while walking, running from channel-to-channel in the mix, or starting their speech with significant information before the viewer would have a chance to catch a breath, see who's speaking, or to whom on the set they're delivering these crucial nuggets to? Maybe that is realistic character behavior, but just because a character is unaware that there is a reader (or an audience) following them, is no reason to make us burrow through distraction just to follow the story points!

2. Oh, I hate this, and it's not just action movies. For ex, this's a big problem I have with the reissue of GoodFellas; it was nice to get the movie on one disc (instead of the old flipper), but the music and sound effects are SO MUCH LOUDER than the dialogue that I have to ride the volume control- man, that's annoying!

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Blame the new breed of "rerecording" engineers. (Rerecording is the movie term for mixing). All the old guys from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s died off, retired or went deaf. You know, the old rule that you "dip" the music during the dialog AT ALL TIMES just isn't followed anymore.

When this young whippersnappers took over, everything was mixed like a record, everything equal. In old recordings (like a Sinatra Capitol) the music was 10 db under the voice. In movies, the same thing. After surround came in (at home, I mean), the rules totally went to hell. And of course people have systems at home that are totally out of whack with what the mixers use so that will never work and blah, blah, blah...

It's very difficult to mix a movie (as I'm sure you all know). When GONE WITH THE WIND was rerecorded in 1985 or so (when they did new IB Tech prints) it was shocking how the sound was ****ed up. Music crescendos welled up OVER THE DIALOG, obscuring it in parts. This is something that would NEVER have happened back in the day.

The problem is that when a movie is mixed at a REALLY HIGH VOLUME, the mix is doomed to be only worthwhile when played back at that same ear splitting volume.

Trust me, when Dolph Thomas mixed "THE MUSIC MAN" he did it at a normal volume. Them daze is gone.
    Rant over.

4. deem

deem Forum Resident

Don't most receivers (or DVD players) have a "night mode" or similar feature that decreases the dynamic range so that dialog is brought up in volume closer to the explosions, gunshots, etc.?

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

They do but many only work with Dolby Digital and not DTS. I'd have to check if my Onkyo 805 can do that with Dolby True or DTS Master. I don't even know because I'd never use it, I doubt....? I'm gonna look it up just the same.

Again, I suggest folks experiment with raising the levels of their centre channels. That solution has minimized problems for me for a long time. I first encountered this problem back in the LD days.

6. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Bang on topic: not that I've noticed yet. Some do get carried away with the explosions effects etc though.

You have to use a jack? What are you using over there, Klipschorns? ;)

Maybe ol' Hitch thought she should be seen and not heard...? ;) The times I've noticed that happening in vintage films was due to modern futzing, noise reduction etc, making the already limited sound so threadbare I practically had to keep a hand on the volume control and of course it still sounded nasty. No richness left at all, music both tubby and tinny, and wonky dialog. Ugh. Rather they leave the noise in and dump the crappy electronics so I can at least tolerate the sound... Usually dialog is quite up front.

:love:

And I'm guessin' that's not all you heard from 'em either. :laugh:

7. apileocole

Why doesn't historical audio production, movie or music, get the respect picture quality (sometimes) gets?

That was a bad one now you mention it, and what's more was called a "restoration."

Well yeah, exactly. I hear the dialog ok but they're really, really loud. It's not just the music, the effects are what stand out in my mind as being most likely to put the hurts in hertz.

fwiw I've taken some mild earplugs since the early '90s just in case. They've come in handy.

Delightful sound on that one.

"MAaaaaaaaaaa -rion. Madam Librar... -ian..." :whistle:

8. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Sorry for not being clearer, I have a man-servant, Jack, who makes these adjustments at my command....
    :laugh:

9. apileocole

:laugh: :D

10. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

I notice some movies (maybe two fifths) have the voices turned way down compared to all the other sounds. Then the others are allot better balanced.

11. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

There's your problem.;)

No wonder I really don't enjoy movies anymore.

I tried to explain this to my sister when she couldn't understand why I couldn't listen to the movie at low volume. The dialoge was buried under all the music and other noise.

I guess people want "lifelike", but what's the point if you can't hear the words? But, I guess it doesn't matter to the average teen when they are talking about the plot with their friends while in the theater.

12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Steve, with all due respect, I don't think this is true for every modern film being mixed nowadays.

I'm sure you're aware that all major films are mixed by three mixers (one each for dialogue, music, and effects), with the dialogue mixer being the lead for the session. They're very much aware that the dialogue is the single most important element in the mix. If you can't hear the words, you can't understand the story; if you can't understand the story, all is lost.

It's true that there are often fights -- or at least heated discussions -- between the dialogue, music, and effects mixers (and also the editors, plus the director), and there's also a sound supervisor who has a whole role in the process, too. Ultimately, it's down to the director, and sometimes, re-recording mixers are forced to do bad (or compromised) mixes by directors who don't want to follow their advice.

I've seen dozens and dozens of films and TV shows mixed over the years, and I can't ever recall seeing dialogue, music, and effects mixed at equal levels. In fact, I've often heard people at the session comment, "hey, pull that down a little bit -- I want to make sure we hear that line of dialogue." I know this is the primary goal of the Cinema Audio Society, among others.

What I think is true is that there's an overall trend in mixing to push the dynamic range too far. When you put a 96dB mix in a home, loud explosions might blow you out of the room, while you're straining to hear whispered conversations in quiet scenes. I think it's fair to say an average theater should be quieter than an average living room, so what might work in a mixing stage might be too "rangey" for a home theater.

Coincidentally, I just came home from a screening of Wanted, and thought it was a fantastic mix. Lotta ADR, but the dialogue was great, though this is a loud, loud film.

13. WaffleHoffle

WaffleHoffle New Member

Anyone else struggle as much i as do to understand the dialogue in Broke Back Mountain?

14. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I didn't see this one, or I would've commented earlier.

As far as I know, every film & TV mixing stage in town is calibrated for an 85dB reference level. I'm not sure if I'd call that "ear splitting," but I would say it's right at the tolerance I can stand.

For my little home studio, I always set it up a little lower, like about 82dB. That's well below the threshold of pain for me.

I've seen the engineers at Complete, Technicolor, WB, Todd-AO, and Ascent all set up to 85dB, so I think this is pretty much standard in the industry. I believe (but am not certain) that home video versions are pulled down a little bit more, relatively speaking. I can say for a fact that the home video QC people want to see dialog hit at least -15dBfs on the meter, and they'll kick back anything that goes above about -10dBfs. (I had them reject a master I did on Dances with Wolves once, so the stereo-only version did get peak-limited to -10; the surround version had peaks all the way to about -2dB.)

For others reading this thread: there's a good write-up on how to set up a system (home or pro) for an 85dB reference level on the Blue Sky website, and the files are free. You do need to get an SPL meter, but I think those are only about $30 from Radio Shack, when last I checked. (The older analog-meter unit is better than the more-expensive digital unit.)

I agree with Grant above that listening with headphones is problematic, since a modern feature mix isn't optimized for 2-channel playback, nor is it optimized for headphones. You could try playing back with the "Dolby Night" mode, which should squash the dynamic range a little bit.

15. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes, the wall of noise...

16. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite Thread Starter

Actually, I wasn't saying that I listen to MOVIES in headphones, I was saying I spend a lot of time under the cans at my workstation, and on-air, and have for the past 30 years. And so I'm used to having the sounds close to me where I can mentally focus on them better...and so when I'm in the theater I'm at an automatic disadvantage.

17. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

1945? I had to do this for the Assasination of Jesse James when I rented it recently!

18. Steve Hoffman

Vidiot,

Yes, some of us understand that mixing a movie now is a group effort. Thing is, a guy like George Groves worked ALONE at Warner Bros. when mixing. (photo below). He made the decisions and the producer and director just looked on. Of course George only had three channels to mix but nonetheless, the mindset of that era ended in the 1980s for the most part. I'm not saying every movie is mixed badly. Most are wonderful, dynamic and exciting but the mindset has indeed changed over the years and all the teamwork in the world can't bring back the good ol' style of doing things. Now all movies must have 60 db of dynamic range except on musical peaks when the sound is squashed like a tomato. The old style way is too retro I guess. Too bad for us!

Attached Files:

19. Skip Reynolds

Skip Reynolds Legend In His Own Mind

YES! For me it's a combination of how modern soundtracks are mixed, and my own high-end hearing loss.

20. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Chances are you are listening at home at a relatively lower volume than in theaters. If turning up the volume is not an option due to neighbors/family annoyance during the very loud passages, you can apply some dynamic range compression via the player or your pre-amp/integrated amp to level things out for lower volume listening.

Regards,

21. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

What were the three tracks? Music, effects, and dialogue? Makes it sound so simple, doesn't it? The impressive thing is, they did it with knobs, meters, and ears. No Pro Tools.

Is that an early RCA console? I love the "theatre organ" look. Now THAT'S what I call styling!

22. ress4279

ress4279 Senior Member

I have this problem as well. I keep the subtitles on if they have them, but only in English.

23. Steve Hoffman

Not simple to mix a movie, really hard. I tried once to do a reel and boy, the pressure was dreadful (back in the 80's), all analog, Music Fx Dialog composite. Wouldn't want that awesome responsibility again.

In the really old days (as you can see in the picture) you had to do the rerecording in a theater setting because the acoustic of a big theater come in to play during the mixing. Can't mix in a small room.... Think of how they had to record dialogue on a soundstage. The boom mic into the portable mixer and then cabled under the streets all the way to the Sound Dept. optical recorder located maybe 6 blocks away. All of that long wiring. It's amazing they could get anything that sounded good but they did!

Studios in the 30s-40s had to watch signal to noise due to the sound on film technique of recording. The music (a trick of WB) was "overmodulated" during recording so it could be dipped with ease during rerecording combining with speech. Other studios tried for years to figure out the WB technique but without success, it was a closely guarded secret. Watch THE SEA HAWK or YANKEE DOODLE DANDY and you'll hear what I mean.

At any rate, I tried to do a reel of AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS which involved six channels of music, a panned vocal channel and three channels of stereo effects. Couldn't do it worth s**t, even with the proper slugs and the pinhole guides on the projected picture for the panned vocal and "dip" cues. I admire those who made it an art form, something the average movie goer only notices when it's done badly.

24. Mike the Fish

Mike the Fish SeƱor Member

Yeah, I find the dialogue too quiet. Also we often stick the compressor (or limiter) function of the AV amp on to compensate for the overdoing of the dynamics too. Increased dynamic range in cinema is often not used for the benefit of the listener/viewer IMHO.

25. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

You need better speakers or as recommended in one of the magazines I get, crank the center up by 2db.

Speakers however play a big part. I found with the JBLs I owned dialogue was sometimes hard to understand. I bought an entirely new system consisting of Klipsch Reference speakers and the clarity improved dramatically. Could also be that you need sound reinforcement in your room to reduce sound reflections which would clear up the sound a lot.

I never had an issue with Adams or Galatica.

BTW, I'm 56 so I'm no kid with perfect hearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.