Is Paul McCartney Ruining the Beatles Myth?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by WildHoneyPie9, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Another spot of "Paul bashing". Boring.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  2. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

The Magical Myth Theory Tour!

3. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Oh, how the hell would she know? She wasn't there for the big switcheroo! :laugh:

4. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

The "myth" is that John buried Paul.

Paul is ruining the myth by showing up everywhere... :D

Paulwalrus likes this.
  5. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

No, quite a silly statement. He actually does not do tons of shows every year...usually around 30 or so shows a year

6. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

What mystery could possibly be left around the Beatles at this point? What a strange question.

7. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

I understand what the OP is driving at, but I really think the answer is clearly no. The story of the Beatles could only be altered by some unlikely revelation, which Paul would have revealed already, or someone else would. By that I mean it is very unlikely anything he could say about the Beatles that would alter that story at this point. The rest of what he is doing is what Paul is doing now. It's simply not the same thing as The Beatles.

WildHoneyPie9 likes this.
  8. dkmonroe

Re: Your Avatar....

AAAAH! Great Britain hath taken flight! Who knows how deadly its vengeance will be! :laugh:

9. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Very Monty Pythonesque!

dkmonroe likes this.
  10. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

It's an interesting question. It's similar to when a band meets with fans before a gig. It kind of takes away from the mystery or aura that you feel the band has. You could argue that anything released by Apple Corps other than their core catalogue also waters down their legacy in a way because it reveals the band's faults and mistakes therefore taking away from the aura and mystery of their music.

11. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

[​IMG]

12. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Too late to be more selective, I think.

13. He's turning everyone on as a deadman.

coniferouspine likes this.
  14. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

To clarify, by mistakes and faults I am mainly referring to outtakes and random extras.

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What myth? There should be a penalty for starting nonsensical Beatles threads!

William Smart likes this.
  16. crp207

crp207 Forum Resident

Strange has it seems, as McCartney continues to tour almost 50 years after the Beatle split, he is faced with a shortage of suitable Beatles songs to draw from. Consider there are 218 Beatle song, depending on how one counts...25 cover songs, and 20 or so George or Ringo songs...that leaves about 170 Lennon/Mcartney tunes. Perhaps there are 80 or so “Paul” songs to pick from... and likely 20 or so that would never be considered. Subtract the dozen or so “must play” songs and he only has approximately 50 songs to toss in the mix...just a thought..please don’t kill me...

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I always thought it had to do with who sang the 'Ahhhs' in ADITL.

Benno123, Paulwalrus and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. Grunge Master

There's proof that Paul kicked the bucket; the guy in this picture is right handed! It's Faul!

19. Grunge Master

The California one. Like 'The Beach Boys and The California Myth'.

20. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I discovered the Beatles in 2004 and I became hooked. I could not believe how amazing the music was. The biographies I read also built on the mystique and I became convinced that they are the greatest band of all time. I then bought the Anthology book which had so much information on their upbringing as well as the songs. I realized that they were just four guys making good music. When you have too much info on a band you like it waters down the mystique and also makes you realize they are just normal people.It just takes away from the legend or the impression you have of them.

21. We've been ruining the Beatles' myth on a daily basis here for 12 years!

Man at C&A, zebop, Benno123 and 7 others like this.
  22. peteham

peteham Senior Member

My bigger concern is the slow but sure sanitization of The Beatles story - I wouldn't blame McCartney for that - it's a group effort.

23. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Ignorance is bliss....

24. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Instead of a "penalty," it would be kind of an interesting scenario if starting a Beatles thread meant you had to donate $1-$3 via Paypal to a popular charity, via a "Donate" button, required to make the thread post to the board, and show up. I'd probably pay it. Heck, if we'd only thought of it in time, I would have eagerly donated $1 to some worthy cause, $1 for every Hoffmanite who switched their "A Day In The Life" "ahhh" vote from John to Paul!

gotblues and ajsmith like this.
  25. dkmonroe

So THAT'S what this is all about. All this time I've been worrying that we've been wasting our time in mindless chatter! :laugh:

Regandron and zphage like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.