Is physical graffiti a well recorded album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mugrug12, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper Thread Starter

Hello, I searched but there's so much lz I didn't see this. If it's been discussed let me know.
    Ok-
    So, is physical graffiti a poorly recorded album? I've just got my third or fourth pressing of it and this one is a very clean monarch. They all sound kind of cloudy and veiled. All of mine seem to lack the presence (intential pun alert!) of my other nice lz records. Just kind of muffled maybe? Do I have rotten luck? I'm starting to think it's the album itself.

Using ortofon om40-black widow 1- McIntosh c2300-mc275-graham ls59.

My great albums still sound great, am I crazy?

Stone Turntable likes this.
  2. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I have an original Australian copy which I find to be unlistenable, muddy no dynamics, very flat sound.

I've been after a UK version but there is something amiss with the sound of this album at least on vinyl for me.

3. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

I really think this LP was poorly recorded. Wasn't it recorded in a Manor house or castle?? I don't remember, but it seems to lack any bottom end that's tight, although "The Wanton Song" can prove me wrong, with regards to the kick drum. The songs are great, there's no argument there...just the recording isn't.

I might be wrong on this, but I think Ron Nevison was the engineer on this LP and his sound is similar in the Who's "Quadrophenia". It's just a muddy wash of sound...but with great songs.

:hide:

tmtomh, patel kismet and squittolo like this.
  4. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

Much of it was indeed recorded with a mobile unit, and to my ears, not terribly well. Part of the charm for me is the fact that it sounds, well, like that.

5. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I certainly wouldn’t say it’s lacking dynamics. Those drum hits at the end of Custard Pie will take your head off. It’s lacking in low end in places, and I think some of the murkiness is just the sound of Headly Grange and perhaps Nevison and Page playing tug of war over the sound.
    I also think that mixing in all the old tracks makes it sound a bit uneven.

6. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Hmmm my Canadian copies kick **** imho. Considering that half the album is comprised of outtakes, I find that there is a bit of production variance but nothing too crazy. In the Light blows my ears and my mind.

7. Leepal

Leepal Forum Resident

The only copy of this I have is an 80s vinyl pressing, it does generally sound muddy to my ears. Have been looking to find a better version on LP or CD if one exists.

8. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

As far as the recording of it, I think it's great. Nice and raw throughout. Warts and all.

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper Thread Starter

I listen to a lot of lo fi recordings but this sounds different from raw to me. Is it possible something happened to the tape? I didn't know it was from different sessions, could they have done something to make it sound more unified?

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I had an Aussie copy too, the sound was ok but Page sounded very thin compared to the first couple of Zep lps. Maybe just a squashed signal from a line of pedals? Ok off to a dinner of custard pie!

Dave Hoos likes this.
  11. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Really?!

The album is comprised of songs from no less than five completely separate recording periods, taking place over the course of nearly four years.

12. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

It sounds great and powerful, to my ears

Lownote30 likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

Yes i understand, perhaps i should have said sessions for certain songs. Either way Communication Breakdown for example sounds far more powerful, direct and impact full to my ears........maybe thank Glyn Johns but more to it i feel.

14. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

I have an 80s copy and it's nothing special, quite muddy and flat as people have described, although record 2 sounds considerably better than record 1, so I suspect there's a lot of variation in the quality of different pressings.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  15. All Down The Line

Mine was a mid eighties new purchase. Not bad sound but guitar does not jump out like 69-71 recordings of any pressings i have heard of the first 4 lps.

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

All I know is this: my introduction to Physical Graffiti was when my old band's drummer brought his parents' LP over, dropped the needle down on "In My Time Of Dying" and said "Listen to the sound of these f--kin' drums!":D IMO John Bonham's drum sound on the '74 Headley Grange tracks is still just about untouchable- that IS the Big Drum Sound suddenly everybody was out to emulate. Other than that I don't think PG sounds any worse than most of the other Zep albums; I think Houses Of The Holy and Presence are their best sounding albums.

17. Waymore Lonesome

Waymore Lonesome Forum Resident

it's funny, Physical Graffiti is definitely my favourite sounding Led Zep album, rock sometimes needs to sound dirty a bit

18. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

In terms of the overall sound of the songs, I really like the space and breathe there is in "Down by the seaside", "In the light" or "Ten years gone". This is quite unique in the Zeppelin canon. And that makes PG indeed a special sounding album, apart from the others.

It's Presence I'm having problems with. I don't think the sound is as exploding as it could have been on this all-rock-out collection of songs. You can crank it up to try to reach this state but it never happens. It gives the impression that something is holding the music down.
    (well, to my humble ears anyway).

19. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

There's nothing wrong with your copy of Physical Graffiti... it always sounded like that; either by design or default. About half (or a little over) was recorded at Headley Grange manor using the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio parked outside... other tracks were recorded at differing places in differing times... the fact that it all gels together so cohesively shows why Zeppelin were the best rock band of our time, if not all-time.

If you want a 'clean' vinyl copy of PG with clarity, go for the current remastered vinyl reissue... it's relatively cheap, brand new, and sounds really good, all things considered.

Amen.

20. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

The 2015 re-master HD Tracks version 96/24 kHz is my go to of this album. The recent CD remaster is a big improvement to my 1980s CD version.

I have yet to hear a decent sounding version of Houses Of The Holly 1973 yet on any format

Shvartze Shabbos, tmtomh and eric777 like this.
  21. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

This is indeed the one (and only) Zeppelin album that I feel sounds slightly...off. In terms of what I assume the aesthetic intent was. I think Page said as much in an old "Guitar World" magazine - that he felt that was the one album that he didn't quite capture as effectively as he wanted (sonically).

As others have stated, the material is naturally great, and certain songs sound especially ideal - The Rover, Ten Years Gone, Kashmir, The Wanton Song. But there is a faint "covering" or something that seems to lightly mute or grain the sonics to my ears. Similar to the analogy of a piece of very transparent fabric being put over a camera lens.

As some have said, that can be precisely why the album sounds ideal to many. It's in no way bad. It's still a "Zeppelin Standard" recording. But it is probably my least favorite production-wise. Not that that is much of any criticism at all.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
    fallbreaks and Stone Turntable like this.
  22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Agreed. Never had a complaint with the origin Cdn vinyl.

ohnothimagen likes this.
  23. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

I think the Album cover picture of St. Mark's Place says it all!

24. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I think it was the big Guitar Player interview Page did in 1977 where he expressed his dissatisfaction with the guitar sound on Physical Graffiti. C'mon, Jimmy- it's not that bad! The solo on "Sick Again" is one of my favourite guitar tones of all time...

25. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Yes. I have an issue around the time of the 1990 box set where he mentions similar things.

"Sick Again" is great, and definitely a swaggering, powerful rocker that benefits from that album's vibe!

Dave Hoos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.