Is physical graffiti a well recorded album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mugrug12, May 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

I have no idea whether it was well recorded or not, but it does have a slightly dirty sound to it."Exile On Main St." by The Rolling Stones seems to have the same sound. I think it's what gives these albums their charm.

2. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

I had that issue! I think it was Guitar World, actually...I believe Page's exact wording as to what he thought of the guitar sound on PG was "It was alright..."
    Indeed. Drugged out, halfway to burned out, making music mainly just to please themselves with no commercial considerations. And why the hell not? It worked- both albums are still referred to with reverence by the fans fourty plus years later...

3. FWIW....I had a UK 2nd press (the only difference between a 1st and 2nd is one side has a different matrix) and it's not much different than the recent reissue. In fact I preferred the reissue

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper Thread Starter

Which one is that? Like itd just be in a store if I went?
    I think maybe I've got one more purchase of it in me and then I might close the book on this quest. Yes the music is great but as some others have said there is imo some sonic 'film' over the record for me. Like cotton in your ear. I keep turning it up higher and higher to fix it! One side seems a little better, side three I think? The one w by the seaside. I have a Canadian press, some weird like South American one and the monarch Swan song I just got...

5. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It’s well-recorded enough, I’d say. The high points hit well (Kasmir, The Rover, In The Light, In My Time Of Dying, Ten Years Gone). The tossed-off tracks sound just like what they are, leftovers to help pad out the album but are appealing in their own way.

Detroit Music Fan likes this.
  6. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Sounds great to me. :shrug:

"Well-recorded" in my view is about the recording suiting the material.

7. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I think it's fine. In fact "The Rover" sounds freaking great to me.

8. Detroit Music Fan

Detroit Music Fan Forum Resident

That maybe because a lot of both albums were recorded on the Rolling Stones Mobile Studio.

That's one of the reasons why Zep have the track "Boogie With Stu." Ian "Stu" Stewart, who was -- let's say it -- a Rolling Stone, was there at Headley Grange managing the truck.

Of course, at least part or even maybe most of The Who's "Won't Get Fooled Again" was recorded on the Stones Mobile Studio as well, and Marley's "No Woman, No Cry." They don't seem to have the same sound.

However, despite those examples, if you listen to many parts of "Exile;" a lot of Zeppelin's LPs including "III," "IV," "Houses of the Holy," "Physical Graffiti" as mentioned; Deep Purple's "Machine Head" and others, they were all recorded in the same "studio." I submit for your consideration that played a big part in that sound.

I think it was well recorded, BTW. People seem to get hung up on the muddiness of particular recordings, but I don't think it matters. Some recordings are a little muddy or even a lot, but that doesn't mean they're not well recorded.

Bananas&blow and eric777 like this.
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I think so, and I think the Diament CD is a great sounding version.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  10. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

I have a very clean 70's Record Club pressing that I like a lot. Something does sound "off" about it but I don't think it sounds bad or even "muddy". But who cares? I don't want Zeppelin albums that sound like Steely Dan. I have plenty of Fusion albums for that sort of vibe.

Bananas&blow likes this.
  11. Terry

Terry Senior Member

?

12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

That was actually recorded in 1972 for the Houses of the Holy album.

13. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

It’s not the fault of the actual multitrack recordings, because the other songs from those sessions (released on III, IV, Houses) don’t sound like that. It’s must be something downstream - probably the mix, I’d guess.

patel kismet likes this.
  14. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

While this album isn't my all-time favorite production (though it is still perfectly good), I do agree with those who say that the new vinyl remaster is the "best" this album has sounded. I played mine from the deluxe box a couple weeks ago and really liked the overall balance and clarity the best on that copy. Bear in mind though that I only have a US original, a UK original, and the previous CD versions to compare it to.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

If only they’d used a bunch of compression and overdone bottom end to make it sound better...

16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Here you raise an interesting point: Physical Graffiti is a collection of tracks recorded in actual studios (Island and Olympic, I believe) and with at least two different mobile trucks (the Stones' and Ronnie Lane's) in various locations (Headley Grange and Stargroves). Now IMO the '72 Stargroves sessions -Houses Of The Holy- are some of Zeppelin's best sounding. Sonically on PG "The Rover", for example, stands out. Whereas the fourth album leftovers have a completely different sound altogether. Yet it seems to me, even just based on this discussion, that people still tend to give the edge to the '74 Headley Grange tracks as the best sounding on the album. What's funny is, I first heard the album when I was about fourteen and knew next to nothing about sonics and recording, etc -that would soon change- but even I could spot right off just looking at the credits on the inner sleeve that "Oh, this song must be from the 'Houses Of The Holy' sessions" etc. I freely admit that though I don't like some of the 'leftovers' they added I'll still give credit where it's due and say Zeppelin still managed to make an album utilizing old material that fit right in alongside the new.

17. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

I use intro of The Wanton Song as my ringtone! Great album but for sure it's not well recorded, very variable sound throughout

riknbkr330 and ohnothimagen like this.
  18. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

"Down by the seaside" is one of my favorites on this album. The dreamlike guitar work .The harmonies(reminds me a little of Harry Nillson's Moonbeam). Nothing in Zeps catalog sounds like it..

Zongadude likes this.
  19. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Yes, and same with Houses of the Holy track which is why they have a nicer sound than most of PG.

The real question is just how were the title track and The Rover left off Houses Album but The Crunge still retained!

20. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

"I think it's the airplane Jimmy"

"nah, leave it in"

the drums on some songs are phenomenal - Rover, In My Time of Dying

Songs like In The Light and Ten Years Gone sound wonderful

must be the curse of the Swan Song label

AlmanacZinger likes this.
  21. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Never have liked the sound on this recording.

Even though there's a bit of overloaded sounding peaks on Led Zeppelin II....that's my favorite recording. Then I, Houses, IV, III. PG, Presence and their last one...don't register highly for me.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

In all good music stores, or alternatively...

https://www.amazon.com/Physical-Graffiti-Remastered-Original-Vinyl/dp/B00RUT3AQ0

Released in late February 2015 (the original album's 40th anniversary), like all the recent Zeppelin reissues, it was remastered by John Davis and it sounds very, very good indeed... many people I know have it as their go-to version; there's definitely an added clarity to the remastered version compared with the 'muddier' original... although I personally never had a problem with how it sounded to begin with, I prefer my albums to have personality over perfection... and PG certainly fits that bill by any standard.

My only complaint about the remastered vinyl is the poor resolution and odd color tone of the front sleeve and the fact it's in a cheaper, thinner outer sleeve than the sturdier, chunkier original... but it's the music that counts, and the remastered PG is absolutely no slouch, it holds it's own.

Last edited: May 24, 2018
  23. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

My UK 1st press sounds awesome. The drum attack is ferocious. Really clear highs. Plenty of bass. Room shakin'.

Zongadude, audiotom and jon9091 like this.
  24. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Well, I love this album. Warts and all. I wouldn’t change a single thing about it. I have a first U.K. pressing and that’s my go to. One of my favorite albums of all-time.

Rockstar2112 and ohnothimagen like this.
  25. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

That song immediately came to mind as sounding killer when I read the OP. Now I'm going to have to go back and listen to the songs recorded specifically for this album to see what I think.

Although I always thought the album had kind of a dirty sound to it, but I never thought that made it sound bad, so I doubt my opinion will change.

Detroit Music Fan and jon9091 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.