Is Pono no more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heart of Gold

Heart of Gold Forum Resident

You look like Hiroo Onida, the Japanese officer still fighting in the jungle after the WW2 was ended.

sunspot42 and Mr Bass like this.
  2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

My PonoPlayer is still in great shape. I had an issue within the first year of purchase, and they handled it well when I sent it to them. As long as their are PonoPlayers around, I'll be using them. (I have a CSNY boxed one that should keep me going for many years) Maybe Ayre will make a better player and I'll buy that one someday.

3. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

This would be incredible. Better still, Fiio already has a player with a modular design, the X7, featuring swappable amps.

4. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

You have seen this right? Ayre Acoustics Codex $1,795. It with some powered monitors might be my office system backup plan if my Pono ever bites it and they aren't around anymore. I would miss that sound too much.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
    oneway23 and Tim 2 like this.
  5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I've seen it, very cool and if Ayre makes it the sound will be to die for.:agree:

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  6. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I have a x5ii but the iii does gapless; there would be a freak out on headfi if it didn't, let me put it that way. I think I read it is slightly better millisecond wise than the ii.

7. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Same 3.5mm balanced connectors will also fit with any customized Pono (or Sony) cable that you may have. I know the dual 3.5mm is basically dead, but, for those dedicated souls with the need, this Codex may be a wise investment.

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Ah right ok. I was just going by the specs on the Fiio website which say it isn't yet available.

I've just tried the B&W P9s with my Pono and they were something else. I may have to invest later in the year.

9. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

I know about the Ayre Codex. The problem is that it doesn't have an analog input. Which makes it less useful for my needs. A headphone amp with Ayre's balanced diamond buffer design would be awesome. That's what I want.

10. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

But you wouldn't have his DAC magic! I hear what you are saying though.

@dtuck90 this was the fiio guy confirming gapless in January, but note not all formats. The next page has some pics. Fiio X5 3rd gen || 2x AKM 4490 || Balanced Out || DSD || DXD | DTS | Android || Dual Card Slot - Page 55 I think the website can't keep up, they are fixing things almost weekly it seems.

11. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

A desktop component without an analog line-in, eh? Strange...

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No, if it had ended, they would have said so, and the site would have been taken down. I just happen to be a lot more patient than a lot of people.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

As long as they are still supporting the Player they really can't drop the website. However they still have the statement they are partnering with 7digital on the site. This is all very unfortunate but the music industry is moving towards streaming and away from downloads. The RIAA stats show brutal declines in download revenue over the past few years. Pono came in just as the market was shifting.

14. Rasputin

Rasputin Forum Resident

R.I.P. Pono

15. Grant

Neil Young says it will be back, and the statement on the website says it will be back.

You guys remind me of the biblical Aaron, who was impatient and doubted anything he couldn't immediately see.

16. Grant

Apparently, it's been a looong time since you've even looked that the site. They removed the mention of 7-digital a long time ago.

17. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

Probably just an oversight, but if you click on the FAQ link on the main page and then the first question, you get...

But again, probably just forgot to edit that out when they changed the main statement.

Grant and Mr Bass like this.
  18. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Beat me to the punch. And if they are not updating their FAQ once every 6 months or so that says much. I'm not rejoicing at this; it's very sad when choice is removed from the market.

19. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I even built a golden portable Hi-Res player and worshipped it.

EwaWoowa, CrewU and sunspot42 like this.
  20. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Now for that Popmarket headache. Getting close to two months since they charged me for two upcoming releases. Take the money and run indeed, Popmarket.

21. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

It has a digital volume control with the digital attenuation being done on the DAC chip. No way to have an analog input with that sort of digital volume control.

22. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

And we all now Neil Young is reliable and always follows through wit all statements he makes.

I'm kinda tired of companies that lie and drag out their inevitable demises. I'm at the point were I don't trust anyone anymore.

Mr Bass and sunspot42 like this.
  23. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

Neil Young says a lot of things.

Lost In The Flood and DTK like this.
  24. Grant

Yeah. he also said that he would start a store with better sounding files and sell a better-sounding portable player. He delivered.

BGLeduc and Dave 81828384 like this.
  25. ridernyc

ridernyc Forum Resident

If you look on the Pono Music Facebook page tons of people they sent in units for repair months ago and have had no communication from anyone in months.

sunspot42 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.