Is Pono no more?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by conjotter, Nov 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I've been looking for more present articles at the moment.

2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

And the article is from May and tries to compare a streaming site to a download site

purple-lazy and BGLeduc like this.
  3. Sadly, it's been at least a day and a half since this news broke, and it has been radio silence from Neil, Pono, and even the mods at the Pono forum.

Pono may or may not be dead, but at the moment, it sure smells funny.

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  4. Duh on my part. I never noticed the date.

5. Psychedelic Good Trip

I'm not a pono guy. Believe me as I say this I was hoping pono users would enjoy without any problems what so ever.

I'm a physical media guy, but I'm glad all of these current mediums (including Pono) are available to myself and all music fans.

Gaslight likes this.
  6. Psychedelic Good Trip

Should hear more about it within the next week.

7. Speculation, or do you have inside info?

Psychedelic Good Trip likes this.
  8. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

I'm very happy with my Pono player and use it daily, but I only ever bought one title from the Pono store. I'm not that concerned if the store doesn't come back.

9. Psychedelic Good Trip

None, just speculations.

A story as big as pono has been, you think something of a major announcement would come out within a week or two from the first story leaks.

Hope it's worked out with all parties involved. Not a pono guy but I wish pono to do well for people who invested in it.

I just can't see people wasting money on something a decent pair of headphones cant remedy. IMHO

Kubricker likes this.
  10. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Pono!!
    A 1999 solution to a 2012 problem. Good try Neil. Is anybody here surprised by it's demise?

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

:edthumbs:You got your cell phones with your music albeit Hi Res downloads or spotify etc. You want to spend money buy a pair of $50 + headphones and you'll experience great sound, and save a lot of money. Trust me, I hope all pono users are happy with their ponos.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
    L.P. and carrolls like this.
  12. Nice Marmot

Nice Marmot Nothin’ feels right but doin’ wrong anymore

The next wacky artist taking on the establishment venture? The Nugentator! Purchase the Nugentator, which is shaped like a wild boar, hunting rifle, go to the Nugentator web page and download Ted Nugent's latest, subscription only, HI-RES FLAC file of who he thinks is an a-hole! Don't miss out!

13. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

14. Psychedelic Good Trip

15. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

... at $29.99 each. The lazy, uncreative design should have been a warning sign.

16. Not sure what you mean when you state that FiiO players menu don't allow you to select a specific album from an artist. I have a FiiO 3 gen 2 and it has a menu that displays albums for a specific artist.

gregorya, Roberto899 and violetvinyl like this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Sorry maybe I've read wrong online. I was under the impression that when you select an artist from the artist screen it brings up every song instead of allowing you to select a specific album. My mistake.

18. Sal1950

Sal1950 Forum Resident

Maybe if Neil hadn't gone so overboard with the hype, having celeb's getting out of cars gushing over the improvement in SQ from a HD file of 40+ yo music. With a more rational approach the high end community might have supported him more. Instead he became a bit of the inside joke.
    Neil, want to bring the soul back, support stopping the wholesale crushing of dynamic range on all the latest reissues.
    In any case I just don't think there's room for another HDA download-streaming site.
    Next to go will be Tidal.

Heart of Gold likes this.
  19. Well that would be a bummer. You do have that "all song" menu option, but I don't use it.

20. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Very helpful info, thank you mates. I'm a novice when it comes to true 24 bit portables. This is a niche market since most people accept mp3 on a phone with a non-audiophile DAC.

The Pono, good or bad device that it may be, at least served the purpose of getting into a conversation with you :)

Gaslight and bmoregnr like this.
  21. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I'm sad to see Pono in this state. I don't care about the device. What I care about is that it was the best lossless music shop on the web. There was stuff there that I can't buy anywhere else. There's stuff that I will never be able to add to my library now.

Tidal has the next biggest marketplace but it's significantly more expensive for the same material, and still there are a lot of things not available that are (or were) on pono.

22. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

Don't lose all hope; Pono Store might return before the holiday shopping season kicks in to high gear!

23. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

I was most excited about Pono before it was released. It felt like it took forever to come to market, and at the time, stand-alone DAP's were viewed as a "dying/dead breed". Once I got one in my hands, the faults became pretty clear (above all that blurry, tiny screen), and that thing was back in the mail to Neil as fast as I could get to the post office! Astell & Kern and never looked back...

SandAndGlass likes this.
  24. eeglug

eeglug Senior Member

You drill down artist->album->list of album songs, click on the first song and it plays the rest of the album. Not sure if that's what you're looking for or not but it does play albums. (I even have my FiiO X1 set to play the next album after it's finished the current album.)

25. rjp

rjp Senior Member

if pono is done, and by all indications it certainly seems to be, how many formats does that make since the inception of compact discs that have tried to take a large market share with "something new and better" and have failed?

surround sound

dual-disc

pono

i know there are more.

when are people going to get that the old guys (most of us here) have re-bought our collections at least once, some of us twice, and that for the most part we just are not going to buy a fifth, sixth, and seventh copy of the same album we have had for 40+ years.

and kids (i say kids meaning those under 40), are not going to buy any kind of physical media, ever. they just don't care.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.