"Is record collecting a personality disorder?"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by d.r.cook, Dec 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

VINYL is a fascinating look at record hounds. I've seen the VHS three times since I bought my copy from Alan Zweig last summer. It begins in a rather lighthearted way but eventually there's a sadness and melancholy that seeps from every frame, especially towards the end when Zweig goes into a confessional mode and the movie becomes more a look at his "out of balance" life (and love life). I think anyone who would rather buy a Beatles 45 than pursue human relationships is a person in crisis, but as others have noted here it's a very subjective thing. My happiness is not yours; who are we to say a man and his records don't make a "fulfilling" relationship?

I look forward to a DVD. Love to hear a commentary...and additional footage. I didn't want the film to end it's so captivating!

2. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've watched the film several times as well, and you're right. At the start, you find yourself chuckling and relating to much of what's presented; but it does get deeper, darker and more disturbing (some would say depressing) as it goes on.

I would certainly buy it again on DVD, if there are extras. Will this be available only via Mr. Zweig, as the VHS was/is?

3. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I was actually interviewed by Allan when he was making the his documentary. The comment that I remember most was that he was surprised that I was more interested in the music than in the actual collecting...so I'm not in the final cut.

He was looking for like-minded people and definitely found some. A few of the people were pretty upset at how he depicted them. Still it's a fascinating documentary.

4. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member Thread Starter

Joseph (and others who've seen it), thanks for your comments. I wondered if anyone here had been interviewed for it--now I know!

Sounds like HARP's brief article was fairly accurate in describing the movie.

I'm sure a documentary like this, not unlike news articles and features, can sometimes leave participants with a bad feeling when their words are edited in a way that doesn't fit with their own perception of themselves.

doug

5. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member Thread Starter

I've taken all of this with tongue in cheek, but I think you're right. Passion for something worthwhile--record collecting live opera, sports, bird-watching--enriches our lives. If it goes "too far" and dominates our every waking moment at the expense of people and everything else, I think that's where problems can arise.

I haven't seen much evidence of that sort of "problem" here.
    doug

6. Ere

Ere Senior Member

His world of collecting reminds me of the characters in the record collectors party in the movie Ghost World. I'm willing to bet that many of the ways he's used collecting and making mix tapes are familiar to us, but he's carried them much much further. Admit it, you've made mix tapes to impress a lady, right?

7. Joseph

Joseph Senior Member

I think the collectors in Ghost World would fall in the more "normal" range of any type of collector. Those that Allan highlight seem to be over the edge and have allowed their passions to dominate their lives.

8. FatherMcKenzie

FatherMcKenzie Forum Resident

Thanks, Doug, for appreciating the humor.

I know there always lines that can be crossed in just about anything we do, but I don't totally agree that everything has to be done in moderation. Excess can be good for the soul as well.

9. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

YES - most definitely... but I can live with it. :cool:

10. Nad 214

Nad 214 Forum Resident

Hummmmmmmm Yes I'm one of the most warped people you'd ever want to meet. Speaking of warps makes me think of vinyl those big wonderful black, well most of the time objects. Yes anybody have ideas on taking warps out? Oh and to Gary in Toronto thanks for the reply. Hope to get to your city one of these days.
    Yep I'm addicted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.