Is Sons of Anarchy worth watching?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

This is correct. Katey sang one song per season.

GodShifter likes this.
  2. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

And they were all excruciating...

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

So, you don't like the show. Got it. Thanks.

4. dynamicalories

The OP asked for opinions.

5. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, and that's fine. You just didn't really declare either way other than saying "the show jumped the shark when Katey Sagal started singing". I was just clarifying your stance. You are certainly free to hate the show.

6. dynamicalories

I guess I didn't really notice her songs in the earlier seasons. There was one that I recall being especially egregious, but I don't remember which one or what season.

GodShifter likes this.
  7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

. . . OR your depository of inconvenient truths, depending on your viewpoint. I get my news from a wide variety of sources, some of them even domestic. I use my brain to process what I learn.

8. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Hey pal, you've done nothing but crap all over a show you've never seen and in a thread you have no business being in.
    Take your negative righteousness somewhere else.
    We're discussing a well written and well acted television show that a lot of people happen to enjoy.
    The question was "Is S.O.A. worth watching?"
    Many people think so and the fact that you don't doesn't mean anything except that you seem to have a personal bias and a lack of knowledge and understanding about a 'so-called' culture that has nothing to do with someone like you.
    Enjoy your news.

smokeverbs and Larry Mc like this.
  9. Carl Swanson

A few points:

1. I'm not your pal, and you're not in charge of deciding who belongs on this thread.

2. The post to which you are replying contains no criticism of the specific show; in fact, none of my replies do. I simply don't respect this type of fiction in general.

3. The OP asked a question. I answered it. If the question had been, "Any love for S.O.A. out there?" I would not have posted at all.

4. Boo hoo.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  10. johnny 99

You ever heard that Dennis Leary song from the 90's?

11. Carl Swanson

No. Can't stand his sorry ass either.

12. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Dudes, give it a break. This exchange between you two isn't going to end well. Let it go.

BluesOvertookMe and DeeThomaz like this.
  13. Carl Swanson

It's already ended, spelled I-G-N-O-R-E.

GodShifter, johnny 99 and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

:thumbsup:

DeeThomaz and Carl Swanson like this.
  15. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

I really, really liked the first few seasons. The last couple weren't as good, but by that time you're so invested in the show, you have to see how it ends. And it does get confusing; without letting out any spoilers, when all of the different gangs, and outside crime partners start getting into it, you couldn't tell who was screwing over who, and who the enemy was and who the 'good guys' (I use the term very loosely) were. And I did feel that near the end, Sutter really went out of his way to make it as bloody and sexually explicit as he could. I'd give it a solid B+ overall.

Lonson and Myke like this.
  16. tunes4thegoons

tunes4thegoons Forum Resident

I watched it from start to finish. I actually liked the first few seasons best because, and this is totally to the credit of the amazing writing and acting within the series itself, by season 4 I was so emotionally invested in the "and justice for all" angle that the show is perpetuated by, that I literally had to take a binge break for a few weeks. Stuff gets intense. I would never spoil anything for anyone as I personally dislike that greatly, but a direct response to the initial post is a resounding as beck would say, "hell yes!". :righton: S.O.A. is waaaay worth the price of a Netflix HD subscription just by itself, let alone The Black List, Daredevil, The Killing, Persons of Interest, Breaking Bad, etc. JMO.

17. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

18. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Yes it's worth watching. Some seasons are better than others but we always found it compelling enough to continue watching. This show was probably the most liberal we have ever seen regarding killing off main characters. There are plenty of plot twists and plenty of turn-arounds. It's violent, so be prepared for that.

19. johnny 99

Enjoy!

20. dynamicalories

Each season needed to up the violent shock value of the one before it until it went over the top and the violence was just silly.

Grunge Master likes this.
  21. Bill Hart

Bill Hart Forum Resident

Pretty much every character is flawed, some disturbingly so, and the story line gets darker, and more twisted, as it evolves. I found the season in Ireland to be a bit slow, and overall, it didn't have the insane pace of a Breaking Bad or the writing quality of, say, a House of Cards, but I thoroughly enjoyed it- though it was bleak in parts- human nature being what it is, you watch the betrayals and manipulation unfold like a slow motion train wreck. Katie was a back up singer for Dylan in the '70s if I recall. Kurt Sutter's character as Otto was noble in a sick way, and the character "Tig" was so sick/crazy sometimes, you just had to laugh. It may not be one of those shows that wins universal praise, e.g. The Wire, but we were hooked (and my wife, who isn't a biker chick, enjoyed it with me)- we binge watched it, which is my preferred way of watching these longer episodic series. I think I would enjoy Game of Thrones more in a binge watch than waiting for each episode and long waits between seasons.

22. progrocker

progrocker Senior Member

Tig and Happy crack me up.

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No!
    Just got the blu ray complete series(keen). Watched a few episides ' sort of Sopranos on harleys.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Must admit it's good to see ex Sopranos, Mad Men, The Shield in it.

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Ex Deadwood too.

thgord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.