Is Ted Nugent Underrated? (NO Politics or Lifestyle discussion)!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bobsblkwax, Mar 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobsblkwax

Bobsblkwax Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just picked up a clean vinyl copy of "State Of Shock" for three bucks at Amoeba. I guess I bought it because I didn't want to leave the store empty handed. I've got to say, it's a lot of fun to listen to. Best $3.00 I've spent in a while.

It pretty well rocks from start to finish. I saw that he covers the Beatles "I Want To Tell You" and I figured I was going to cringe.... but it's OK actually. And I hate Beatles covers except for the Joe Cocker ones.

I never explored any of his music since I didn't enjoy hearing "Cat Scratch Fever" on the radio. So, my question is..... is this record one of his best and the rest are not so good? Or does he actually have a bunch of really good records that I just plain overlooked all of these years?

I don't see or hear much about him on this board. So.... is Ted Nugent underrated?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2017
    reverberationmusic, Paully and Tim 2 like this.
  2. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Highly overrated in my opinion. Mileage may vary!

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Overrated. I never understood the appeal.

4. theshape

theshape Forum Resident

I dig a lot of Ted's music. Even the first Damn Yankees album is pretty rockin' stuff! Unfortunately, his yap seems to overshadow his music for many.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Rated about right. He's a great guitar player - great tone, technique, energy, musicality. His best stuff in the 70's was almost punk rock in its intensity, which set him apart from the other long-haired post 60's guitar slingers of his generation. His lyrics and general aesthetic hold him back from true greatness though. It's a similar problem with Van Halen - great musicianship unfortunately serving a bone-headed message about nothing but boning. He could have been the bridge between Led Zeppelin and the Sex Pistols but he doesn't have the right kind of artistic intelligence. His musical talent deserves better, but he's made the bed he's in, fully and completely.

weaselriot, JFS3, LitHum05 and 38 others like this.
  6. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

His first album is essential - and it has a GREAT 70's hard rock sound. None of the other albums hold up to me, but there are great songs scattered among them.

7. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

The guy is one of the few American guitar heros. Most of the greats came from Europe back in the 70's. Just because of his big mouth and the theatrics people forget what a really great guitarist he actually is. Check out Intensities In Ten Cities for a good taste of his lead guitar work.

8. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I liked his first four solo records with Derek st. Holmes . The next two , which were weekend warriors and state of shock , had their moments , but in my opinion , he went slowly downhill after that.

9. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Derek St. Holmes was a good foil for him. It was stupid to lose him.

10. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Cat Scratch Fever and Stranglehold are perfect hard rock songs.

11. 131east23

131east23 Person of Interest

His first self titled is really great.

Here he is at his best...

poolie, Zack, junk and 13 others like this.
  12. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I love The Amboy Dukes. That's it.

13. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Nope. He's okay just like his Beatles cover.

Tim 2 likes this.
  14. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

Ted was already a top guitar player on the 1st Amboy Dukes album. His Amboy Dukes albums are very entertaining, especially the first few. I didn't like his solo work as much except for his fantastic 1st album.

Scott

15. He is guitar virtuoso and he is as passionate about music as any other aspect of his life. Here we focus on the music. The first five or six albums are absolutely essential. Watch these videos and you'll understand why he is one of the greatest guitarists of our time. He was one hell of a rock star too! :yikes:

16. This ^^^^ and the one after this ^^^^

17. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

No absolutely not. He's a hack. Always was.

And he's not a great guitarist at all. He's just not. He gets way too much credit in that department.

Jerquee, somnar, mando_dan and 9 others like this.
  18. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

State Of Shock is my favorite non St. Holmes Nugent album.
    Excellent choice, now get the self titled debut.

19. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

All the Epic stuff from the self titled to Intensities is essential 70's guitarhead stuff. Call Of The Wild And Tooth Fang And Claw by the Amboy Dukes are great too.

20. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

The Nuge can play.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

He is an influence on me as a guitar player. He had a great band back in the '70s, and put out some classic albums. I'm a fan of Derek St. Holmes, as well.

izgoblin, vinyl13, g.z. and 5 others like this.
  22. But he is the godfather of straight-edge punk - unwittingly so, but still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.