Is the 2015 Rhino Remaster of Van Halen s/t the same as the 2009 Rhino...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by latheofheaven, Aug 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. latheofheaven

latheofheaven My Pants are FULLY Analog... Thread Starter

I was reading on an earlier thread here where people were REALLY raving about the 2009 Rhino Remaster saying that it used Steve and Kevin Grays DCC master. That it was the same or mentioned in the dead wax and that they were identical.

Now, on Amazon, it shows a 2015 Rhino version, but in one of the comments by a person who bought it in 2016 stated that Chris Bellman did the mastering and how great it was. Soooo... I can get that one for a pretty good price, but I wanted to check with you Vinyl Mentats first to see if it is indeed the same master.

Thanks!

2. latheofheaven

Oh crap, I just found this on an earlier thread...

Has anybody compared the 2015 reissue of S/T to the 2009? I'm inclined to grab a 2009 before they're all gone, but just curious...

The 2009 (Hoffman version) has a better EQ (more bass) but I feel the overall clarity is bit better on the 2015. I can't say one is clearly better than the other. If you want more bass and good sound go with the 2009. If you want slight bit better sound and don't mind less bass and more treble go with the 2015 reissue.

Why couldn't they just leave well enough alone. WHY do it again when Steve and Kevin apparently did such an awesome job...?

I'll probably have to turn some trix outside of Denny's now to be able to afford the 2009 one... Geez... [​IMG]

dav-here likes this.
  3. latheofheaven

Listen, if any of you DO have any further input as to the specific differences between these two masters, please do let me know.

Thanks!

4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

You've likely gotten all the answer you're going to get right there. I got the 2009 from Best Buy a few years ago, when some sort of sale was going on. Think I paid like, $ 4.00 or something crazy like that. Really.

dav-here likes this.
  5. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Chris Bellman did the vinyl remasters in 2015. I would guess he did VH1 too, but they might have used the master Steve did.

6. latheofheaven

$4...?!!! Grrrrrr.....! :mad:

dav-here likes this.
  7. Myke

They didn't, it's a Bellman.

8. Myke

Actually, $ 12.99 - Good Deals on BestBuy.com

It was the Woodstock box set w/5 albums, done by KG. $ 4.99-pricing error, and they honored EVERYBODY'S order here.

dav-here likes this.
  9. latheofheaven

Hey, thanks for the reply mate! But, yeah, on the bloody album itself there is a blue label that actually says 'mastered by Chris Bellman'

Well, I found a used copy supposedly of the 2009 master on eBay where the seller SAID that the vinyl was in 'Very Good' condition (I think he meant just the generic phrase, not the actual grading condition) shipped for about $14, so I guess we'll see... He is a highly rated seller, so he had not gotten back to me yesterday with the details I asked for, so I snagged it because I didn't want to miss it. Sounds like he'd be pretty good about taking it back if it isn't up to snuff...

10. latheofheaven

That actually is quite nice :)

HOPEFULLY, I will get a break with this used copy... We'll see.

Myke likes this.
  11. latheofheaven

But, I wonder WHY...? When they had such a winner, WHY would they redo it? Are there some rights issues involved with their using the older master again or something? Why go to the bloody expense...???

12. Myke

No idea, but I'm playing my KG / SH right now, and it's LOUD !!!!! :bdance:

13. latheofheaven

Dude, you keep rubbing it in...

[​IMG]

14. Myke

Your copies coming.

15. latheofheaven

Heh... let's hope so :)

At least the guy DID just get back to me; he was really nice and said that he wasn't absolutely sure that it is the 2009 pressing. But, he did say the vinyl looks really nice and that if it is the wrong release or I'm not happy I can send it back. I let him know that I can get the new Bellman release brand new on Amazon, shipped for $19, so the only reason to buy this one used for $14 is if it is the right version.

16. Myke

He should check the deadwax !!!!!

17. latheofheaven

I know... He was so nice I didn't want to push it...

18. Myke

See, I don't get that kind of thinking at all. If it arrives, and it's not what you want, then you have to repack it up, and send it back, when it could have been avoided with one question ?
    I have sold here, and on eBay, and it's on the seller to be able to answer questions, if he plans to sell his goods.

19. latheofheaven

Yeah, I know, in principle you are absolutely right, of course. But, in this case, I don't mind just simply waiting and checking it out. No big deal. Like I say, he was very nice and helpful and offered complete return if I didn't like it. A persons (sellers) attitude means more to me overall then insisting things. I was thinking that if he is on the ball, he will check it BEFORE sending it and let me know if it is not the right one.

Also, think of it this way, this will give me a TOTALLY free way to listen to the newer pressing and hear what it sounds like, and, therefore, if for some reason I really like the sound of it, I can simply send it back and get it brand new from Amazon for $19 :)

20. latheofheaven

Well... :)

While waiting for this, I blew up the item picture on eBay where he shows the vinyl; I enlarged it about 400% Heh... and DARN I'm pretty sure it's the number on the label for the NEW version!

Serves me right I guess for even dreaming that I could get such a good deal on the 2009 pressing... I KNEW darn well that that was WAY too good to be true...

Well, like I say, I guess at least that will give me a chance to listen to the new master and see what I think, if I like it compared to the early U.S. pressing that I have, and if I can live with it. And, THEN I can send it back :)

BTW, my humble apologies at this late date for even starting this thread unnecessarily. I did a search yesterday and found a whole WHOPP'N thread on Van Halen vinyl... Geez, what a Putz... [​IMG]

Well, I learned that NEXT time, I will search more carefully FIRST before starting new, clueless threads.

And, if you believe that... [​IMG]

21. Dave Armstrong

Dave Armstrong Forum Resident

22. latheofheaven

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd, I do believe it is time for a little...

[​IMG]

Yeah Baby...

[​IMG]

Dave Armstrong likes this.
  23. latheofheaven

GEEZ, has it been a year and a half already! Sorry, I never did get back here to comment (and, I'm ALWAYS getting so annoyed with ones who don't come back and follow through! [​IMG] ) And, since then, thanks to all of you, I now know a $hitload more than I did before joining this site! Thank you! [​IMG]

Thankfully Dav-here liked a post which reminded me... Yeah, it did indeed turn out to be the Chris Bellman pressing. Also, I don't think I commented on this yet, but the cover was thoroughly mangled in transit. Never seen that before. Completely destroyed. But the vinyl was fine, thankfully. The guy refunded my price, which I didn't ask for, but it was nice he did that.

So, not having the SH to compare, I am very happy with the Chris Bellman pressing. It sounds great to me! I pretty much always like his work. As a matter of fact, I have his VH2 & VH3 also, all sounding great! From what I've read here about SH's and CB's work, and from the various pressings that I have, I get the impression that with CB there might be a tad of a goose here and there, but it always sounds really good on my system. And my line-contact stylus is very clinical. SH's work I believe is known to be a bit more 'flat', as likely it should be. And, certainly some of the SH/KG pressings I have are indeed phenomenal! But, the slightly different results between the two (SH and CB) may just be more equipment / ears dependent as to which style a person would prefer.

I will say, FWIW, I did have the DCC Aqualung which I bought new like 20 years ago, and for me, it really struck me as rather lifeless sounding. But, many here (including the nice fellow who traded some great albums for it) very much like it.***EDIT [I much prefer the MFSL, but some others don't] But, pretty much overall from what I have, I don't think I've heard a CB yet that I didn't like. He did a frigg'n AWESOME job on the recent Grateful Dead remasters! :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.