Is the ADC an important part of needle drops?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ElvisCaprice, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've read over numerous threads concerning the transfer of analog to digital sound. But not a lot of talk on specific high end ADC's. Especially those ADC's geared towards PC/MAC capture via USB. Lot's of information on post processing and capture rates.
    Does it make a difference on analog captures using a Benchmark ADC1 usb or just some I/O device that does the bear minimum. I would think this would be a very critical point in analog captures. What are some of your thoughts, since I'm in the market for an ADC? For now not necessarily vinyl, but analog never the less, VHS, LD.

Thanks
    Mark

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

I would say yes. I started over 10 years ago with a Griffitn iMic, then moved through a couple of M-Audio firewire devices, then recently got an Apogee Duet. With each new box, the sound quality improved noticeably. The Apogee is nothing short of amazing. It seems lots of people here like the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. For $150, it's an amazing entry level ADC. I wish those had existed 10 years ago.

c-eling and ElvisCaprice like this.
  3. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

The answer would be yes. The question is does the cost of a super fantastic ADC like the Ayre QA-9 or the Benchmark ADC1 make sense for your source and playback gear? What analog sources do you have?

4. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

The rips will only be as good as the weakest link in the setup. In my experience, the ADC makes a massive difference. Your analog chain might be fantastic and then you finally convert it to digital and the least you lose there, the better. Just get the best ADC you can afford comfortably....or better, wait, save up and buy something better than what you intended ;)

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  5. captone

captone Forum Resident

yes, big difference! I've been surprised reading a few posts here and there on vinyl rips, where people with great digital and analog playback systems are recording at 96kHz or 192kHz yet are using consumer level a-d. A great converter capturing at 44.1kHz will sound infinitely better than a consumer unit at any sample rate. Have not used the Benchmark A-D but I own their DAC2 which is amazing so I assume their A-D converter is also great. Good brands to look out for include Apogee (not so much with the entry level stuff), Lavry, Prism, Weiss, Burl, etc.....Generally speaking you will get what you paid for. I have recently heard (and ordered one after hearing) the Burl Bomber ADC - this is a game changer and perhaps the nicest sounding converter I have ever heard (I have heard many hi end models)

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  6. ElvisCaprice

Alright then, sounds like I'm on track here. Was wondering for awhile if spending some $$ on an ADC was a waste. For now I'm not so worried about the quality of my system for playback, that will come in time, although an upgrade to a high quality DAC with Headphone jack will be necessary. I'm more interested in quality remastering of promo video material which would entail quality digital captures of analog material. It will be interesting to see what kind of captures I can get out of analog LD/VHS and eventually LP. I'm leaning towards the following ADC, which at first glance seems more friendly in it's build for just the kind of work I am looking to do. But always open to suggestions.
    The M2tech Joplin.
    http://www.m2tech.biz/joplin.html

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  7. ElvisCaprice

Definitely like the new Benchmark DAC2 for a dac. Not so hot on the ADC1. That Burl Bomber looks nice, but not a USB, doesn't have friendly input outputs for my kind of work. Thinking adapters may introduce problematic noise. Not looking for BNC, XLR or 1/4 inch jack inputs. Would like a capable USB 2.0 output on the ADC with some kind of clocking, need a device driver for the PC for 2.0. RCA inputs along with digital pass on ability for Optical or Coaxial would be nice. The M2tech Joplin has all of this for an ADC except the Optical pass thru. Oh yeah, I see the Joplin can also perform RIAA equalization. Although this feature would not be a deal breaker, but nice, never the less.
    I figure the less cooks in the kitchen with additional inputs outputs, the better. Is there any other ADC's that fit the bill with the following features?
    Digital pass thru, digital inputs either Optical or Coaxial
    USB 2.0 with jitter support and device driver for PC 2.0 support
    RCA inputs

Thanks guys for the input.
    Mark

8. ElvisCaprice

Playback is not my primary concern now. Just getting the mastering correct the first time is. Laserdisc, VHS and down the road, vinyl. For now I would like to concentrate on the video sourced analog sound for capture and processing. Ayre QA-9 looks nice. Doesn't exactly have the inputs I desire. Again back to using odd chords or adapters. Not sure if it supports usb2.0 on the PC. No digital pass thru? DSD is not a need. Twice the cost of the M2tech Joplin.
    Thanks
    Mark

9. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

I was reading your list of requirements and no it does not have the digital stuff. The M2TECH Joplin seems to fit the bill.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It's only a waste if what you pick out doesn't sound very good, or at least you're not happy with the sound it's giving.

A friend has the Ayre mentioned above. Particularly using the AES/EBU, it is a fantastic sounding piece of equipment. Not cheap, though really nice.

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  11. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  12. ElvisCaprice

I did look at this DAC/ADC. If I we're okay with just the USB 1.1, meaning 96khz 24bit limit, which I could live with, but no mention of clocking or jitter control on that USB. I'm a bit skeptical of the combo ADC/DAC, seems that they don't do either on the high end in these cases, more consumer type product, but I could be wrong, never heard one. I can get the M2tech Joplin for $1700 new.

13. ElvisCaprice

Here's a shot of the back of the M2tech Joplin. Any one here have one or tried one out?
    [​IMG]

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, it is a critical component. And one which does not get the attention it should.

15. ElvisCaprice

c-eling likes this.
  16. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

(Self Conscience) Don't tempt me, my 2i2 is just fine, do you really want to do these albums all over again?
    Edit:Nice looking peice of hardware Elvis, make sure you post samples in the needledrop thread :)

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  17. shaizada

shaizada Forum Resident

Wow...excellent CHOICE!!!

18. ElvisCaprice

Gracias, amigo.

19. gloomrider

So my math says recording at 384kHz/32 bits will yield a 4GB file for one LP side :eek:

You'll need a substantial DAW computer (hardware and software) to be able to work with material that large. And, yes, please post some needledrops when you get this going!

ElvisCaprice likes this.
  20. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Good old Ethan Winer did an A/B test between a $25 Soundlbaster X-Fi card and a $6,000 Apogee 8000 and couldn't detect any difference between them!

21. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

384 kHz/32 bits for a needledrop? Why?

22. gloomrider

Regarding 32 bits, I'm thinking the answer is that the Joplin will either dither or truncate if used to capture at less than 32 bits. Details here:

(Page 26)

So I read that as "dither or truncate". If it were me, I'd capture at 32 bits and do the dithering myself. And 384kHz? I'm sure it would be worth doing once or twice as a learning experience if nothing else. Surely 384kHz will sound incredible, right? ;)

23. .crystalised.

I see your point. I've always felt comfortable having the control over dithering myself. But remember we're working with vinyl when needledropping, and records have a S/N ratio comparable to about 10 bits of PCM, max. 32 bit seems overkill, but according to the Joplin notes, it's probably your best option in order to avoid unnecessary distortion.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  24. .crystalised.

Right. ;)

25. .crystalised.

By the way, does this thing have any relation to Janis? She could also get quite distorted when she wanted to. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.