Is the Elvis/Presley 2CD Legacy an improvement over "Elvis '56" CD?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, May 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Sound quality wise?
    I think that both were mastered by Vic Anesini, correct?

Elvis '56 includes a few unreleased tracks not on the 2CD Legacy of Elvis/Elvis Presley!, but obviously Legacy has more tunes.

2. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Vic Anesini is my favorite..although I have been critical of him cause of going (A little) over the red line. But at least he works/worked with the real deal analog tapes. IMO most of FTD's are just DAT copies from EJ that were his "notes" to catalog his really great Elvis sessions book. I salute him for reals! So (exception Vic and a few) the remastering ( of most outtakes) were done from those DAT's... One of the "remasterers" told me that. Btw... something similar ( but not official) happened with The Beatles sessions etc... the public glad to grab them from whatever source.

melstapler likes this.
  3. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

Elvis '56 (version 2) is reported to be from Vic Anesini made from DSD transfers back in something like 2002. Elvis '56 (version 1) was mastered in 1996 by Dennis Ferrante and Dick Baxter and no doubt is largely derived from the 1992 50s Masters BMG transfers (not great).

Elvis Presley - Legacy Edition are masters done by Vic Anesini from new transfers as part of the complete catalogue restoration project which commenced in 2007. I would suggest they are superior though I have not heard the 2002 re-issue of Elvis '56.

Elvis '56 is a better compilation than the Legacy Edition overall.

4. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

LEGACY with the new (07) re masters!.

5. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The Legacy Edition with Vic's mastering is probably the final word on the '56 masters for quite some time; although Budd's 2005 reissues of Elvis Presley and Elvis are quite brilliant in their own way.

That said, the Elvis '56 compilation (particularly the 2002 reissue) is a timeless compilation. It is still probably the best one-disc collection of non-soundtrack material from '56.

6. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Thats the one:righton:

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

8. George P

George P Notable Member

Is that the 2011 Legacy set?

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yes.

10. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

So all of the boxsets like "Today, Tomorrow & Forever" "Close Up", etc were mastered from DAT's?

11. John Grimes

John Grimes Forum Resident

I'm about to do some comparisons of Elvis 56 2002 to Elvis Legacy edition.

12. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

I have the Elvis Presley 2 CD Legacy Edition set, then later I bought the big box set version of Young Man With The Big Beat. Am I correct in that the Big Beat box uses the same masters as the 2 CD Elvis Presley Legacy version?

This is probably a dumb question but any info would be appreciated!

John Grimes likes this.
  13. John Grimes

I'm here to report that Elvis 56 and Elvis Presley/Elvis Legacy edition uses the exact same source for both sessions, (Elvis Presley/ Elvis). I just did extensive comparisons for every tune so, there was no fresher transfers in 2007 for those particular albums.

14. John Grimes

You are 1000% correct!

ccbarr likes this.
  15. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

Thanks for the info! Really glad I have both sets, the 2 CD Legacy is easy to take in the car and the Big Beat set is great for more serious listening, so the both have their place.

Mr. H and John Grimes like this.
  16. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

No. Strike that. Some FTD's. Cannot remember now. Very, very late reply. LOl..

17. John Grimes

So, to answer the op's original question, No, there is no improvement on the Elvis 56' 2002 Anesini remaster vs 2011 Legacy digipack. They are exactly the same as for as the mastering. I must say I prefer the flow of 56. It's one bad ass little cd!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    Mr. H likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.