Is The Force Awakens critic proof?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amonjamesduul, Aug 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Let's see... Return of the Jedi (1983), Phantom Menace (1999) is 16 years. Revenge of the Sith (2005) and The Force Awakens (2015) is only 10 years. In story chronology, I believe they're saying the new movie is 30 years after the events of Jedi, which is about right.

Judging by the way the toys, video games, and other merchandising is selling, I'd say interest in Star Wars is totally huge. If there's a "can't miss" in movie box-office, I'd say Star Wars VII is it.

Jarleboy, enro99 and Encuentro like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Agreed, this one gets a pass, positive social media word of mouth will either set it on fire or kill it dead in short order. I can't see them screwing this up though, there's too much at stake.

3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

4. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wild horses couldn't drag me to a star wars film.

5. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

But they apparently could drag you to a Star Wars thread for some reason.... maybe it was The Force that brought you here? Hmmm... :)

Sondek, Vidiot, Robert C and 2 others like this.
  6. rjp

rjp Senior Member

so, in a thread that asks a question:

if i post an honest answer, that addresses the question in the thread title, i am wrong?

or does it have to be a professional critic? which i am not, but i do watch a whole lot of movies, and actually feel very qualified to answer the OP's question.

and, i have actually seen all 7 films.....i will not however, see another one.

does that sufficiently answer your condescending question?

7. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

So you liked them enough to see seven of them but that's where you're drawing the line?

Because if I don't like one movie, I'm sure as heck not going to bother seeing the sequel, much less 6 more movies in the series...

Rhett, Sondek, Vidiot and 1 other person like this.
  8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

correct, and i felt that after getting progressively worse with each one (coincidentally i was getting progressively older) i felt that enough was enough.

poorly written, poorly acted and quite juvenile.

only my own personal opinion of course, but i don't care for any kind of animation either, so there could be a correlation there..

9. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

And it took you seven attempts to figure all that out? My my.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  10. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

I love how people always call their thread craps "honest answers" or "honest opinions". I honestly do.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just think it's a really odd position to take. "I hated Star Wars... so yeah I saw the next six movies and hated them too which was very surprising to me!".

Vidiot and Robert C like this.
  12. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Who knows, the next one may be "Tree of Life". One should never give up hope.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Actually, I thought he had a pretty reasonable question.

For the record, I didn't hate The Force Awakens. Didn't love it, but I thought it was good, though not great. I liked it more than I did Rogue One, which I also didn't hate but didn't like a lot, either. It was OK. I liked both of them a lot more than I did Episodes 1-2-3.

Rhett likes this.
  14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Hey, there's a first time for everything. :)

Vidiot likes this.
  15. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

I watched the first Harry Potter. But after being bored stupid, I gave up before the end. I did try it again, when it was on TV, but nope.... again, I gave up before the end. I couldn't have watched the second one as the first one just didn't appeal to me whatsoever, unlike Star wars, Lord Of The Rings, and other film series. So yes, that is a bit of a peculiar comment.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Note that The Force Awakens cracked $2 billion a few weeks ago, so I think it's fair to say "yes, this movie is critic proof." What's amazing to me is that Rogue One is at $983 million worldwide right now and most likely will slip past $1 billion in a week or two. I'm honestly that a smaller film like this did this well -- I would've guessed it would OK but not spectacularly well.

17. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Critic proof? There's no such thing. Either a movie works or it doesn't. And that judgement is almost entirely subjective. It may be based on collective aesthetics - or shared ideas of what is "watchable" - but that doesn't make a reception any less subjective. I'm just getting around to watching this ep. before I venture to the theater for VIII. So far the critics are right; it's derivative of the original film trilogy to a large extent and something of a Hollywood throwback in terms of writing and casting. But to me, the main idea is poor: how can the force awaken or sleep? It's always there. It's people who sleep and wake up. Some cursory basic myth reading might have informed the writers of that. At any rate, the production value and special effects are superb. I'm really hoping it turns out to be more than a glorified video game. Good seeing Chewy.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    ianuaditis likes this.
  18. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The force awakens... in whichever people realise they possess force abilities. Or... the force awakens because it's back on the screen again!

I didn't take it as the force itself falling asleep and waking up.

19. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

I guess it depends what you mean by "critical." Like almost everyone (including me) complained that 'Force Awakens' was basically just the first film (I refuse to call it 'A New Hope') with a better budget and more competent direction and different actors. Not since Gus van Sant remade 'Psycho' have I seen a movie (I refuse to call it a film) so shamelessly recycle something else. But, for a lot of people, that's not a bug, it's a feature. That particular "criticism" is actually what they liked about it. It was a return to what whey wanted to see (about which the prequels were horribly deficient.) It's not necessarily "critic-proof", but I bet a lot of what the critics were criticising also doubled as bait to get fans into the theatre.

20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Prefer HBO myself.

21. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That actually might have been a pretty cool plot for the last movie - the First Order starts taking over everything, and then suddenly a bunch of randos from all over start experiencing Force-like powers, and they become a new generation of Jedi Knights. Missed opportunity! :laugh:

22. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

If the last scene of Last Jedi is any indication, I kinda sorta think that is kind of the plot of the next movie.

LivingForever and dkmonroe like this.
  23. ando here

ando here Forum Resident

Isn't the force that which animates all life? How can you can awaken to what's already there? It's a problem of semantics which lies at the heart of The Empire Strikes Back, particularly with regard to Luke's training/grappling with force, namely; the inability of human thought to comprehend the universe. What thought does quite well is self-perpetuate. But the movement of thought which produces fear, desire, anxiety, etc. must end before the correct action takes place. Luke has to stop thinking before he can see what's right in front of him. It's Basic Force 101 stuff that is barely acknowledged in this episode. Or has it gone beyond what was explored with the original trilogy and I'm just oblivious to it?

24. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident

The realisation of how to use it, or that someone can. Kinda like if someone realises they've got musical ability, or something similar.

Tbh, I thought it was just a film title that essentially said Star Wars has been asleep for years, now it's back.

25. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

The more of these they make, the less critic proof they will become. Part of what made episode one critic proof was due to the fact that it was the first to appear after many years. People had become so obsessed with these films that they just had to see it.

Now these films are becoming more common and are at risk of being driven into the ground. Eventually they might become less desirable for fans if they keep making them. The hardcore fans will still watch them, but others may start to get bored with them. Of course the first three will still be loved, but people may stop following the sequels.

This is just my opinion of course and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.