Is the greasy makeup/black eyeliner/creepy aesthetic in music videos here to stay?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Damián, Sep 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

I keep noticing the same thing over and over whenever I catch a music video these days- many bands and artists are adhering to some supposedly 'creepy' (I guess) aesthetic, where everyone looks like they hadn't bathed in days, with black smudges on their faces, lots of eyeliner and random shots of 'unnerving' stuff (old prosthetics, etc.).

It's been going strong for some time now (2-5 years?). Did no-one think it just might have grown old by now?

Does anyone else think it's become a bit stupid by now- or even know what I'm referring to, to begin with?

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Screwed up eyes and screwed down hair doos, like come cat from Japan??

Not sure if Marilyn Manson is still hot where you are, but here I think he's been passed on for bands with pretty boys and severely "down and depressed" lyric style. Hoobastank and Linkin Park and stuff.

But some of them like eyeliner. Girls dig it when they share make up.

3. Dave D

Dave D Done!

They're all pretty dopey these days......especially the new "whiner bands" (Hoobestunk)

Speaking of un-nerving....you need to see the video for Strip The Soul on Porcupines Tree's DVD-A......I had to turn it off! :eek:

4. Damián

:laugh: Hah! You couldn't have picked a better line!

Very much the same here. Funny you mention MM, I caught his cover of Depeche Mode's Personal Jesus and you know, .. it sounds almost the same. Goes to show how far ahead of the pack DM were at the time, I guess.

5. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Have you heard Johnny Cash's version of "Personal Jesus"?

6. Damián

:eek: I didn't even know there was one! I haven't got anything by JC yet.. he's on my (long, LONG) 'to check out' list.

7. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's on the AMERICAN IV: THE MAN COMES AROUND, the last record he released with Rick Rubin shortly before his death last year. I think you'd like this album, Damián. The CD also has his take on Trent Reznor's "Hurt"...try to find the version that has a bonus DVD of the video Johnny did for the song.

ps love that shot of Joni & CM.

8. Sckott

Yeah, his whole American/Rick Rubin output is not only sonically interesting, but it's all even MORE interesting how he turned songs into his own. Quite a daring set of moves! Don't miss this stuff.

9. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Damian, I didn't know it was a Depeche Mode song!

10. Sckott

Ya know, come to think of it, Bowie may not have only hit on something culturally, but also gave away its recipe and satirized it somewhat unknowingly.

"How To Make & Become A Dark Artist And Make Girls Love You, 101". MM is just too obvious, but that's basically it.

Yeah, that DM song is my favorite they've ever done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.