Is the "movie theater" dying?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Doctor, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Forum Resident Thread Starter

I was listening to a discussion by the guys at Cinemassacre...They were saying in essence that movie theaters, or the 'going to the movie theater' experience is slowly dying out - not necessarily this year, or the next five years - but that 'going to the movies', the traditional theater experience, will eventually go the way of the Drive-In - become increasingly niche with the rise of legitimate streaming media, as well as bootlegging/torrents etc.

I was wondering what the more knowledgeable people here think.

2. aussievinyl

aussievinyl Appreciator Of Creative Expression

I wonder if the 'movie theatre' experience could be resurrected by showing not just films, but live sport and maybe episodic TV shows - get some fan clubs to rent out the theater for these reasons, many of these shows having great cinematography. I still love going and wish they would have movie revival nights - Village Cinemas do this, but not very often. I wonder if people won't even want to leave the house to go to the movies, one day in the future - we need better movies to go and see, for a start.

3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'm not sure, maybe. Many have already dropped the 'theater experience' and all the accompanying hassles , expense and annoyances. Just as many still go and there are more cinemas out there now than ever before, so who knows?

Ultimately it will come down to whether the cinemas can continue to convince the current generation and the next to keep coming out. What happens when we get virtual reality based 'giant screens' at home?

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  4. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

The cost has gotten to the point is makes no sense going to see a movie given the quality of blu rays on a good home theater set up.

5. The Doctor

That's the thing. I love going to the movies as much as anyone else, but, I'm on a low budget living in NYC. A movie for two is $20. In NYC, $20 is a lot.

driverdrummer likes this.
  6. The Doctor

I've noticed in my own life that my girlfriend and I only go to the movies for event pictures, like, she just saw "It", we plan on seeing "Thor" and the next Star Wars film. But we don't go to the movies for a fun afternoon date like people might have at one time. The problem is that the quality of your average "non-event" picture just isn't there to justify the cost. If your regular non-event movies were of a quality on par with the bigger releases, I think we'd go more often.

I wonder how common that is for other people - that going to the movies has become more of a "special occasion", a treat, rather than part of regular life. I feel like perhaps going to the movies isn't so much going the way of the Drive-In as it is the Opera or Broadway Play - In that, going to the Opera or a Broadway Play is a costly affair that you only go to if something really interesting is released and it captures society's imagination. I wonder if perhaps that the movie theater's fate? Only three or four big-event releases coming out every year, with really jacked up ticket prices to compensate?

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I've been saying this for years:

8. Leggs91203

Leggs91203 Forum Resident

I seldom go to a theater but when I do it always seems to be pretty empty.
    If they are dying off, could be a few reasons. One is - for the wages of sin is no where near as expensive as the junk food at the theater. Last time I went it was like $4 for some damn box of M&M's that would have cost less than $2 at a gas station.

Two is that now they have commercials before the movie, on top of previews. Not even commercials that might be relevant to the audience of the particular movie but just dumb stuff like auto insurance or breath mints. It kind of kills the mood of being there to watch a movie. Shouldn't they at least make the commercial interesting, surround sound, exciting but NO - "Save on your auto and home insurance with that obnoxious lady with loud red lipstick (you know who she is). If it is an action movie, maybe have the commercial show some awesome wreck and then the narrator comes out and explains why you need it.

There is also the fact that since they are running out of good ideas, the previews make the movie look WAY more interesting than what you later waste your money to watch. This had gotten worse over the years. At least if you rent it or whatever, you can turn it off instead of not wanting to waste it by walking out of the theater.

And let's talk about how they show ads telling people to put away their cell phones. Understandable. However, in new movies they often have to make sure cell phones are in the movie. The things are no longer exciting, neat, status symbol etc. Besides in real life we can see people with their noses buried in it.

And this might be just me but when I get done watching something at the movies and then go back out to the car, there is just some kind of weird feeling I get like trying to de-zombify.

BluesOvertookMe and The Revealer like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It was always like that for me, ie, I'd go to the cinema to see a specific movie, rather than it being a regular thing. These days I don't even bother with 'special events'...

I have the opposite opinion. The quality of tentpole productions just isn't there - it's just visual popcorn. That's fine if you like that kind of thing. I find that indie or smaller productions are usually more thoughtful with better quality narratives (if not budgets), films like say Get Out.

The Revealer likes this.
  10. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Stop making cinemas a eaterie.
    Restaurants are for consuming food.
    Saying that ..maybe that's how they make their revenue. Rock concerts survive with t shirts/paraphernalia.
    Cinemas like wise.
    :magoo:

driverdrummer and jedilips00 like this.
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It's typically more than $30 for 2 people in LA, plus parking, plus whatever snacks you get at the snack bar.

I think you're talking about three totally different things: 1) ads to tell you not to use a cell phone during a theatrical presentation [totally understandable], 2) cell phones that are part of the plot of a movie [given that communication is often a critical element of any story], and 3) the fact that there are people in the world who keep their noses buried in cellphones all day long. All different.

There's a time and a place for everything. I turn the damn phone off -- not just ringer off, but actually shut down, defunct, el dead-o -- when I'm in a theater. No texting, no calls, no Twitter, no Facebook, nothing. Off. It goes right back on the moment the credits are done and we're walking back down the aisle. If anybody needs me, they can just wait 2 hours until I'm done with the film.

But cellphones as part of the story... watch a lot of 1980s and 1990s films (which is not that long ago) and you'll see there are quite a few plot issues that hinge upon the lead characters knowing/not knowing about the threats or conflicts they're dealing with. Having a phone often solves that problem... though that has led to the modern excuse of "no service" when the hero suddenly can't get help in a remote or secluded area. 90% of all horror movies and melodramas would be defunct if the people had access to reliable cell phones.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  12. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Agreed. Other than "event" films, movie theaters seem to be largely empty. Theaters need to think outside the box.

People still love to "go out", so movie theaters still have an audience, if they can find a way to capture it.

MikaelaArsenault and aussievinyl like this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Yup, I just saw the rerun of Star Trek The Wrath Of Kahn.

It was $12.50 for a ticket, $8.00 for a bucket of popcorn, the alcohol drinks were close to $10 for the cheapest ones, so I skipped any beverage ( don't drink soda), and pizza is by the pie only, no slices, basic to loaded ones run $13-$25 for one medium size pizza, so I skipped that too.

NOW....If the wife had come with and we each had 1 drink and split a pizza it would've been about $70.

THAT....is just silly.

14. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I have to agree. I've stopped going for the following reasons.

1. Overpriced tickets.
    2. Overpriced snacks/drinks.
    3. Unless one sneaks them in, you're prohibited to bring snacks/drinks of your own.
    4. Old/defective/uncalibrated/bad quality screen/speakers.
    5. Usually way too loud.
    6. People talking.
    7. People using their cell phones.
    8. A ton of ads. Hey, I paid for the ticket already. Why should I get blasted with ads on top of that???
    9. Dirty floors.
    10. Dirty or uncomfortable seats.
    11. The home video/audio gear is much better now. Big-screen HDTVs & surround sound has bridged the gap.
    13. No ushers telling people to shut up or stop using their cell phones and throwing them out if they don't comply.

Why would I pay 50$ for 2 people for 2h of entertainment which is likely to be disturbed by jerks?

15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Haven't been to the movies for a couple of years now. I use to go anywhere between 10-25 tines a year. But I have projector and a 114" scope screen so nowadays I stay at home. To expensive and time consuming. It's not worth it anymore

MikaelaArsenault and audiomixer like this.
  16. benjaminhuf

benjaminhuf Forum Resident

Maybe consider MoviePass. For $10 a month you can see as many movies as you want. No kidding. Many think this won't last, but while the money from the billionaire investors is available, you can see a lot of movies on them. Be warned that even after you join it takes 2+ weeks to get your card, because they are slammed with new members. I'm loving it so far. Let's me try out movies I normally wouldn't pay for, but with MovePass, why not? Here's an article from Wired than explains it better than I could....

MoviePass Wants to Let You See Movies For Next to Nothing—If Theaters Will Let It

MoviePass - Watch New Movies in Theaters

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  17. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Cell phones, obnoxious patrons, high prices, mostly crappy movies. Think I'll pass.

18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

We live in a small house. Otherwise. I'd have a similar setup. :(

19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I wonder if this will lead to more films being set in the not too distant past. There really are a lot of plots that need no cell phones to work.

20. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Movie theaters are dying because they are killing themselves. Where we live, they have tried to "add value" to the experience by adding things such as comfy reclining arm chairs and food and beverage service right to your seat - which you pay big $$$ for.

We've got a 75" TV in our theater room (I'm not a fan of projectors / screens - just my preferance) and custom built / installed 7:1 surround sound we can fire up at any time, watch anything we want, and eat / drink whatever we want to in the privacy of our own company without leaving our home. I did the ROI on that rig when I installed it and between the wifie, myself, and our 2 chillin's we have MORE than paid back that investment ..... and that doesn't include the value of our chillin's having their friends over to watch movies in the security of our own home where we know exactly where they, what they are doing, and who they are doing it with.

Buh-bye movie theaters - I never liked your sticky floors and expensive "food" anyway .......................................

enro99 and SandAndGlass like this.
  21. For mainstream films, high ticket prices are a direct result of actors, directors and producers getting millions for their part in a production.

22. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I understand this is the case. That said, THIS is part of what is wrong with their business model and needs to be corrected in order to re-align the industry with their customers. As it is, I actually pay full retail for the movies that we watch at home, however, if prices of downloads, streaming, and physical media continue to increase due to, amongst other factors, the nonsence you factually describd above I'll have no problem putting on my pirate hat and doing what I need to do in order to avoid paying rediculous prices for their "products".

23. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

I still enjoy the experience but understand that I'm not the consumer that's going to keep it going. I like to get out to see older films on the big screen as much as I can (All the President's Men last Thursday) and tend to get to a Saturday matinee every other week if I can. Still I can sympathize with much of what has been said above.

24. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

No good movies are also part of the problem. People are certainly not going to go out of the way for the "experience" when the quality is so low.
    I remember looking in the paper to see what was playing and then making a choice. Now, you know it's a choice between 3 or 4 genres, and whatever is the latest offering in each.

arley and GroovyGuy like this.
  25. Been dying since radio came along. Dying since television came along. Dying since home video came along.....

SandAndGlass likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.