Is there a better way to hook up an iPad/iPhone to an analog receiver?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by csgreene, Nov 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it! Lot to think about. My understanding is that the onboard DAC in the iPad and iPhone is very good and I'm not sure my gear would show a significant improvement using an external DAC. I use a Yamaha RX-V990 (5.1 receiver that does 2-channel very well) and a Marantz PM8004 integrated. Neither has anything other than straight analog inputs.

I don't use iTunes, I stream internet radio, Pandora (free version) and Spotify (premium). Don't know if that matters much. Also, didn't Apple quit making the Airport Express? Why, if it's such a good device?

2. SMc

SMc Forum Resident

Apple has left the router business. Apparently these products didn't make much money and hadn't kept up with the competition. The focus will be on Apple TV and Siri devices .

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Agreed with most that the Airport Express is the best "wireless" way to go, but it isn't any better , other than convenience. Your fine with your RCA cable.

4. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Try the Audioengine B1 bluetooth receiver. Its a little pricier than the bluetooth options listed by others, but it sounds great and the signal is upsampled to 24 bit.

waaguirr likes this.
  5. Slimwhit33

Slimwhit33 Forum Resident

I have been listening to Spotify the same way as you. From my iPhone X using lightning to RCA inputs on my PrimaLuna. It sounds great to me, but I had the same question as you, and this weekend began to seek my answer.

I ordered a Marantz HD-Dac1, Audioquest Cinnamon USB Cable and Audioquest Cinnamon Optical cable.

I will now use my Onkyo C7030 as a transport and will connect it to the HD Dac1 with the optical cable.

My iPhone X will use the Apple USB Camera adapter to the Cinnamon USB cable to the Dac1.

I'll report back once I get everything set up and let the OP know if my experience warrants the switch.

If not.. it will all get returned.

trd likes this.
  6. csgreene

I'll be interested to hear your report, Slim. For now, I'll continue to use the cable as spending money for a questionable improvement (even if the item can be returned) is not something I like to do. The other problem I'd have is making a proper A/B test. My ears/memory aren't that good.

7. Slimwhit33

My suspicion is that I will either immediately notice a difference, or I will immediately box up and return (after a few day break in period)..

Guess I'll find out..

8. Slimwhit33

Being delivered tomorrow.. stay tuned.

9. csgreene

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

10. Slimwhit33

Got everything this afternoon.. all hooked up.

I am very happy with what I am hearing listening to Tidal and Spotify through my phone. Also thrilled with the CD playback.

Better, more tight bass, mids are very clear and concise while not too in my face, and the upper levels sound silky smooth. There is nothing harsh about the sound giving away that its digital. My volume is able to be a tick lower with the same apparent output and dynamics. Looking for a simple way to put this, but everything sounds cleaner, more dynamic. And the soundstage is deeper with better instrument separation.

For me, it's a keeper for certain. I'll swing by here in a couple weeks and tell you if my opinion has changed. But after doing my H2H comparison (by switching the inputs on the PrimaLuna), I immediately unhooked the old cables. I won't be going back.

Hope this helps you a little. Could I have lived with the old hookup? Yes. But I'm happy I tried this, for me it was worth it.

11. csgreene

Thanks for the report! Glad it's working out for you (so far).

12. JoanneWillian

JoanneWillian New Member

If you are buying a new stereo, like Pioneer they are including AIRPLAY into some of their amplifiers. The amplifiers have a Wi-Fi receiver built in, that means you can play from your iPad models over your Wi-Fi directly to your Stereo with no loss of quality. And there is nothing to do with any cables.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.