Is there a Dion expert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mfp, Jun 17, 2009.

1. mfp

mfp Senior Member Thread Starter

For years I've been into the genius of Dion DiMucci, but lately it's turned into an obsession, especially since I started to try and track down all of his sixties recordings.
    But it's such a mess. Between '64 and '66, it seems he released many 7" on different labels, most of them didn't chart, many of them have never been collected on an LP, or collected on a CD. Plus there are several versions of the same songs, exclusive B-sides, etc...
    So, anyway, I can't even find a complete exhaustive discography of the man (not of his singles anyway), I'm really trying to put all the pieces together, but to no avail.
    So, is there a Dion expert on these boards, who, perhaps, has a link to a reallly complete list of all the recordings available? Any extra info (producer, date, musicians...) would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :wave:

2. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

I'm in no way a Dion expert, but I truly believe that the man is a bona fide American treasure, HIGHLY underrated, and is proof positive that you can grow old and STILL rock'n'roll. He is also an example that you don't have to be in the entertainment business and have been married 8 times. He had his dark moments in the sixties, but emerged as someone that could be regarded as a role model.

I would stack his singing up against just about anyone in pop and rock, and he still sounds great, even at 70 (in a month or so).

Doo wop, folk, blues, singer-songwriter, contemporary Christian- the man has done it all.

THE RETURN OF THE WANDERER is a particular favorite of mine.

Gotta love Dion!

Lewisboogie, Saint Johnny and McLover like this.
  3. william shears

william shears Senior Member

The 'King of the New York Streets' box-set has a complete discography. If no-one posts an online version I'll try and scan it....

Lewisboogie and Saint Johnny like this.
  4. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

5. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

6. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I seem to recall a member who often posted as though he was involved with Dion (perhaps in promotion) but I can't quite come up with the user name - David Modney, or something like that?

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Andrew Sandoval wrote this thorough examination of Dion's work at Columbia from 64-66:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/steveislip/d-folk-60s-list.html

The same site will have all the info you need. Discography, dates, names, places, etc.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  8. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

Not affiliated with the artist in any way. Just a fan of his music and a collector. :)

Another vote for Steve Islip's site (with various contributions from other folks). He hasn't updated it lately, and it can be a bit of a chore to navigate in order to soak everything in, but it's the best, most exhaustive fan site on Dion. It's well worth the effort to poke around there.

9. mfp

Thank you guys! I knew you'd get me what I was looking for! :)

Seriously, Dion's output circa 64-66 have got to be one of the most unfairly underrated piece of American music. I never read anything about it, found out about it by sheer luck and curiosity, and each song I hear from this period blows me away. The vocals, the guitar playing, the production, the songwriting, everything is top notch, and even historically it's important as it kinda bridges the doowop/r'n'b era to the folk-rock era. And IMHO, when it comes to singing the blues, he's better than any of the other revivalists from the 60s.
    I know that there is The Road I'm On CDs and the Bronx Blues CD, but they're both incomplete. There should be a set collecting every single song recorded during this period!

Rock66, Dennis Metz and Saint Johnny like this.
  10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I am a tremendous fan of a Dion song from this period, "Time in My Heart for You," which I found for 15 cents in a discard bin of 45s in the late 60s.

The music backing replicates the Dylan Highway 61 Revisited/Blonde on Blonde sound, but has some added touches and textures that enhance it even more. Dion's singing is impassioned, and the song structure itself (chord progression, etc.) is very interesting. I never get tired of hearing this song.

I've told this story before, but for years I thought this was just some anonymous group of studio musicians reaching for that Dylan sound as it was current. Years later, I found out -- from the man himself -- that it really was Al Kooper playing the B-3 organ on his good friend's session!

phillyal1 likes this.
  11. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I don't know this one, but it must have come from the same sessions that produced the Dion and The Wanderers tracks on the Wonder Where I'm Bound lp and the "Tomorrow Won't Bring The Rain"/"You Move Me Babe" 45. All produced by Tom Wilson which would account for the sound and the participation of Kooper.

12. mfp

I had read some speculations that it was in fact, not just Kooper, but the whole band that plays on Highway 61 that can be heard on these tracks. Is there any truth to that?

13. Daniel Plainview

That has not been proven. I don't think anyone remembers who played on the sessions. Al Kooper doesn't remember. I don't know if Dion has commented about it or has been questioned. Carlo from the Belmonts played drums, apparently.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

You're right, the memories of all involved can get a bit hazy, but it sure sounds like the same band. And regardless of who plays on them, the fact remains that they are absolutely stunning and there really should be a collection that spotlights all the tracks recorded with Wilson and whoever played on them.

15. Daniel Plainview

Dion is now on Facebook and the man has a million and one tales to tell. If you want to talk to a living legend, now is your chance. He's practically on there all day long, posting pictures, telling stories, or sharing words of inspiration. Check him out.

Saint Johnny likes this.
  16. Daniel Plainview

And now, thanks to Dion, we have an answer to who "The Wanderers" were:

JOHNNY FALBO, BIG BUDDY LUCAS, STICKS EVANS, MORT SHUMAN & JERRY MCGEE

Jack Lord likes this.
  17. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

There's discographies in Goldmine issues 185, 194 and 538.

18. aaronfirebrand

aaronfirebrand Well-Known Member

I love it when I see a chance to +1 my admiration for the True King of pop.

Count me among those who would love to see a complete works collection from this period of Dion's career. Now that the King of the New York Streets set is OOP, A more extensive retrospective is in order. Of course, I'd love to have everything the man ever recorded; Dion's voice is equal parts miracle and genius. I still maintain that What's That Sound is one of the greatest recordings ever made.
    This one, though, still knocks me down with the same force as when I first heard it:
    Daddy Rollin' (In Your Arms)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehAtR5Dl_Q8

I believe that once any music lover hears this, he will understand Dion's greatness. That's what happens when I play it for people, anyway.

Mort Shuman pops up in some amazing places. Several threads could justified when discussing this man's importance in music.

19. mfp

AWESOME!!! :goodie:
    Do you have a link? I might start a Facebook page just to befriend Dion!

Yes, Sundazed (or someone) should issue a set with the whole Dion & The Wanderers tracks: after all, there are only twelve of them, recorded in exactly two sessions, and put together, they would constitute one great, great album.

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I agree that Dion is one of the greats. He needs to get the Bear Family treatment!:cheers:

melstapler likes this.
  21. johnniedee

johnniedee Forum Resident

you can't go wrong with:
    Complete Dion and the Belmonts - collectors choice music
    The Road I'm On Colmbia/Legacy C2K64889 - great compliation of all the Columbia singles and album tracks that were blues and folk rock - ESSENTIAL
    King of the NY Steets - RIght Stuff Box SET

22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

+1

Dion rocks.

23. mfp

+1 on both the adjective and the use of capital letters.

24. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Agrred...have them all! Some great twofers of his later work on Ace as well. A giant Bear Family box with a couple of bonus DVDs would still be outstanding...no 85 minute discs please!:cheers:

25. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

You said it.
    It's so great to have some of Dion's '70s work on CD at last. STREETHEART, KING OF THE NEW YORK STREETS and, of course, BORN TO BE WITH YOU are some of my favorite Dion albums.