Is there a modern version of the Allison Model 3 Speaker?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ls35a, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

Because I have a room that would be FRIGGING PERFECT FOR ALLISON 3'S.

For those of you unfamiliar with this classic speaker they go against the wall in the corner.

And don't say 'Klipschorns'.

Any suggestions welcome.

[​IMG]

Tim S likes this.
  2. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I recall the Allison line of speakers during the late 70's. My friend had the Allison 1's. Great sounding speakers. He paired them with a Tandberg TR 2080 receiver and a Luxman turntable with a Signet cartridge. The dealer where he purchased them had the complete line. I recall the first time I heard the Allison 4 bookshelf speakers, I could not guess where the sound as coming from. They blended into the wall seamlessly. Imaged like crazy! Over time the foam woofer surrounds needed replacing. Allison's definitely punched above their weight.

3. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

There was just a pair of the 2s for sale cheap.

Back to your Q - don't know of any substitutes. They were unusual but very home friendly for a certain room.

4. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

If you mean that you're only interested in speakers designed to work best in room corners, there's always Audio Note. Of course, they look absolutely nothing like the Allisons.
    -Bob

bhazen likes this.
  5. ls35a

ls35a Forum Resident Thread Starter

I met Roy Allison once. He was a very gracious gentleman.

6. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Why not just find a pair of Allison 3's?

They're probably out there, for not much money. Maybe spend a little cash to get them up to spec, bliss for your perfect room!

I heard a pair of Allison 6's not long ago, they sounded surprisingly good. Nothing in the sound I can recall that screamed 'vintage'.

7. Daily Nightly

Daily Nightly Well-Known Member

They were, basically, an "evolution" of what Mr. Allison had done at A.R. (particularly, an improvement-upon: the drivers of an A.R. 5 in a less-coloring-prone enclosure).
    Anyway, the VANDERSTEEN speakers of the mid-'90s would seem similar to them (though, some of those have a rear-firing active radiator).

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Aren't those Allison Ones?

A company revived the Allison with Roy, didn't they? Are they still around. Many fond memories of the Allison one. They served us well for Springsteen and "Saturday Night Fever." Nice flat response. Punchy bass! Sort of a warmer a/d/s sound.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    bhazen likes this.
  9. Helom

Helom Forum member

Cornwalls :laugh:

Hoytamundo likes this.
  10. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

The modern version would be Larsen speakers but not sure how well they will do in an actual corner. AudioNote do corners...
    ATB,
    Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.