Is There Any Way To Download 24 Bit FLAC To An I Phone 6 And Send It To A USB DAC?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by tomd, Oct 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Need help: I want to download 24 Bit FLAC music files to my IPhone 6 and send them to my Oppo 105's USB DAC.I do NOT have another Apple computer just the phone.I know Apple does not use FLAC but ALAC files.I know there is software that can change the files to ALAC WITHOUT downgrading the fidelity.So can it be done WIHOUT purchasing another Apple computer? Would I have to send the files to a USB thumb drive and THEN to the Oppo's DAC?

2. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

Not sure that it can be done without an Apple computer but I do exactly what you describe with my iPhone 6 running the Vox music player app:

16 & 24 bit FLAC files loaded to the iPhone via iFunbox on a Macbook Pro. Then, using the Apple lightning-to-usb 'camera' adaptor into a USB cable & then into a portable Graham Slee Bitzie DAC. It also works with the DAC in the main system but I see no point in that because I stream using a different means and the phone is just for portable use (ie long haul flights, hotel etc).

I recall that I was also able to drop FLAC files into the Vox app via iTunes but haven't done that for a long time so it may or may not work - I suggest you try it if you have a Windows PC and see. If you can get the files into the iPhone, then the rest as I describe above works perfectly for me (not all DACs may be compatible but it also works with my older Fiio E7)

3. GetHappy!!

GetHappy!! Forum Resident

Onkyo HF Player app; $9.99 allows you to load the files on the phone through the apps section in iTunes. And of course you'll need the camera connection kit.

4. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

Another for the camera connection kit. I have an android phone and that just takes micro USB adapter to the DAC

5. tomd

tomd Senior Member Thread Starter

Yeah downloaded the $9.99 HF player app and purchased one Hirez track but it says can't download through the apple browser.Then it says click on this link-I do and it says "page cannot be found".I can't even send a message to the Onkyo site to report the problem! Maybe I can get someone at Apple to step me through what went wrong? I wish I purchased a different brand of phone!

6. Jasonb

Jasonb Forum Resident

I transferred using any decent free FLAC playing app wirelessly and played it through the app. Both iPhones and androids have good free FLAC apps but android is a little easier to hook up although I've never tried the camera kit for iPhones

7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

After the recent Xcode vulnerabilities which affected my usual flac app, I decided to delete it and drop the $9.99 on the flac player app that is usually recommended here. What do you know, it's a MUCH better user experience, no regrets about the cost at all. Wish I used it earlier.

If you want to use the iPhone with an outboard DAC directly then you'll need to connect it, this usually involves the camera connection kit.

If you want to use an outboard DAC on the go then yes this is a solution, if you want to bring the files into your home system there is probably a much easier solution that doesn't involve the use of the phone.

Personally I don't see the need for an outboard DAC on the go. The one in the iPhone really isn't terrible. And whatever benefits I'd get out of it would not be audible on a plane or in the gym anyway. The FLAC Player app does an excellent job of downsampling high-res material to 48khz on the fly. I can listen to music at 24/48 with nothing more than the phone in my pocket, what more could I want?

The only time I use an outboard DAC is in the car, the one I use plugs right into the phone and provides power through the cigarette lighter as well. Charges my phone and the line out of the DAC feeds my car's aux-in. In that case, using one is a no-brainer but more for convenience and necessity than anything

8. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Onkyo HF Player file uploads are pretty simple. You need to have iTunes, regular Apple USB/TB cable, & then just follow the HF's HD Audio upload instructions in Settings->Show Audio File Transfer Guide. Worked well on my iPhone6. BTW, this software plays back anything in both PCM (I tried 16/44 all the way to 24/384) and DSD (I tested DSD64/128/256) lossless formats. Haven't yet tried HF Player with external DAC, however (this may require a camera kit, methinks).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.