Is there anybody around we could truly call a musical genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident Thread Starter

Again driving to work this morning listening to Monk and I thought, this man was a musical genius, or is that too strong? Was he just a great musician? I believe he was a musical genius because he was off the wall in the way he thought and his music shouldn't sound great but it does. To my ears anyway.
    Others I would apply the term musical genius to must include Mozart and Beethoven. They both deliberately changed the course of music. I'm sure there are others but off hand I can't think of them
    Controversial I'm sure, but I wouldn't use the term for Lennon & McCartney. They may have made a step change in music but I don't believe it was deliberate nor would it have happened without George Martin.
    Anyway I welcome your opinions but as I said Musical Genius and not Great Musician.

LavidDange likes this.
  2. Stevie Wonder
    Ray Charles

3. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

I vote Django Reinhardt

4. David Ellis

I could sort of agree but what are your reasons?

5. David Ellis

Again why was he a musical genius?

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

J. S. Bach. His command of polyphony and structure outstrips the gifts of Beethoven and Mozart.

[​IMG]

Iannis Xenakis. A polymath, also a mathematician and architect. The most accomplished composer after Beethoven. He applied math to musical form with emotionally devastating results. I suppose that Stockhausen might be mentioned in the same breath but I sense that the work of Xenakis is more consistently of high quality.

[​IMG]

Hildegard von Bingen, another polymath. Her ecstatic song really got the ball rolling for western art music.

[​IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9uMd1ap51A

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    ggergm, Laibach, elaterium and 9 others like this.
  7. norman_frappe

norman_frappe Forum Resident

Mozart
    Beethoven
    Bach

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

When it comes to modern rock/pop, there aren't too many that truly rise to the level of genius for me. Brian Wilson comes to mind. At his peak, he was just operating at a totally different level: His musical ideas were often very unusual and yet they worked so well as to sound natural. His work continues to exert a huge influence over modern performers and there's no mistaking his very distinctive compositional voice.

Though he's not to everyone's taste, I would also mention Frank Zappa. The breadth of his musical knowledge was extraordinary--from doo wop to avant garde classical and jazz, he was able to meld it all together into a uniquely modern brew.

9. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

Thelonius Monk?
    Yea. He would qualify.

10. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

[​IMG]

How many have proof, via concert poster? :)

john lennonist likes this.
  11. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Frank Zappa

Phil Lesh of the Grateful Dead.

12. Jack o' the Shadows

Jack o' the Shadows Live and Dubious

'Tis far too early to claim any twentieth Century musician as a genius, in my opinion, as we are yet to realize their long-term impact on music as a whole. Changing music fundementally takes time, as people will always have a musical consciousness based on past music, and necessarily create new music out of this consciousness.

Tuco, mando_dan and David Ellis like this.
  13. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

charlie parker--bop changed all of jazz--a major inspiration decades after his death

MrS, Bemsha, john lennonist and 5 others like this.
  14. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

To me artistic geniuses are different from intellectual geniuses. Artistic genius are the sorts of people who almost compulsively follow their muse powering through all kind of convention and resistance to achieve real breakthroughs in their forms that change the face of the music forever, their minds always focused beyond the horizon of what we normal folk see -- they make us, and their peers, see things in a new way and confront even the basic premises of their art. I think Sun Ra was a genius of that sort. Ornette Coleman.

There are other sorts of artistic geniuses I suppose -- those who seem to learn and synthesize and create and such an astounding rate, in all kinds of different media, with such ease -- that it can only be genius. I think of a guy like Steve Martin who seems to be able to be a brilliant actor, novelist, playwright, musician and standup comic and makes it look easy. Maybe a guy like Prince fits that kind of category in popular music, maybe, I'm not sure though I'd go that far. These types of geniuses I think are harder to identify because unless you've actually worked with them it's hard to judge that kind of genius.

But I think either kind of genius is really rare. That's okay. Plenty of brilliant, beautiful music made over hundreds of years by humans who were just great artists but not necessarily artistic geniuses of either sort.

rickg, LavidDange, PHILLYQ and 2 others like this.
  15. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Along with the other two M's: Miles & Mingus. All sadly not around.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    rxcory and npc145 like this.
  16. AGimS

AGimS Forum Resident

If you listen to his music you will understand..
    Stephane Grappelli said he never heard Django play any wrong on the guitar, neither musical wrong or technical wrong.
    When Django played with Duke Ellington Orchestra he never practiced, he just showed up an played - impressing his american peers with his musicality and astounding technique.
    Seems Django could hear a musical piece once and then could instantly play it and improvise around it.

ronbow, RPOZ51 and GuildX700 like this.
  17. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

Ray Charles hasn't been "around" for 10 years.

goodiesguy and lbangs like this.
  18. David Ellis

I love your argument. I don't necessarily agree but you definitely understand what I'm looking for.

RPOZ51 likes this.
  19. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

That was my first thought. Nobody has ever 'heard' bass like him. He approaches the instrument like a grand piano.

john lennonist likes this.
  20. sami

sami Mono still rules

Miles Davis - a trendsetter and innovator many times over a two decade period.

Bob Dylan - took the ages old folk singer / narrative artist thing and popularized it to the point of creating an entire genre and influencing an untold number of artists.

Along with Coltrane, Mingus, Monk, Ellington, Armstrong, Beethoven, and Mozart.

21. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

Brian Wilson

22. David Ellis

Apologies. That sounds awfully condescending.

23. David Ellis

I know about Django and I have some of his music with Grappeli. However what you are describing is an amazing musician not a genius IMHO.

24. Your point?

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

DON VAN VLIET

BRICK BAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTSSSSSSS!!!!!!!

weirdo12, RandyP, Purple Jim and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.