Is there anybody around we could truly call a musical genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Was Jankowski really a genius? Because just about every album of his I've seen says so. :)

2. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

jonathan richman
    jackson browne
    BARRY WHITE big kudos
    KC
    Blowfly
    robert johnson
    johnny ray
    bing
    satchmo
    PROFESSOR LONGHAIR big kudos

3. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Music has different genres so it's a strange approach to qualify composers as "musical geniuses" over the important figures from other genres. It would (arguably) be just as difficult for Beethoven to create "Kind of Blue" as it would be for Miles Davis to create the 9th Symphony. Both men were geniuses of their respective genres and they shaped music to come.

In the pop and rock (and jazz) arena, Brian Eno describes something called "scenious", a silly term used to drive the point home that in the modern era of music, any given masterpiece is rarely the work of an individual, rather a collaboration of brilliant minds and talents. In this regard, it's the bands (Beatles, Zeppelin, etc) that are the musical geniuses, and they stand up just fine next to the brilliant composers like Mozart and Beethoven, regardless of whether their intent was to change the course of music history. Even Bowie (and Eno, and a slew of jazz greats) can be considered as "bands" since so much of their output was aided by collaboration.

As far as other "individual" geniuses go, it would be hard not to qualify Bob Dylan as a folk genius. I would also think that Prince and Stevie Wonder deserve the label. Maybe even George Clinton.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Robin L and EVOLVIST like this.
  4. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I would guess that the people who "willfully" excluded them don't consider them geniuses. If two geniuses were born in Liverpool within 2 years of each other, you might be more generous with the term than I would be.

None of my personal favorite living artists ranks as a "genius" in my book -- Stevie Wonder is probably the closest among the living. (I might include Hendrix and Coltrane among my deceased favorites.)

David Ellis likes this.
  5. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, and people are posting artists that they believe fit this criteria.

badsneakers likes this.
  6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

And following that criteria, I think that Van Dyke Parks, Zappa, Brian Wilson, Bob Dylan and Don Van Vliet fit the bill.

7. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

Johan Sebastian Bach - The father of western music. The master of counterpoint, his music still sounds fresh.
    Igor Stravinsky - see Rite of Spring, Petrushka, Firebird
    Miles Davis -
    Spearheaded multiple jazz idioms. I also loved the way he used space in his solos, showing that what you don't play is often as important as what you do play.
    Brian Eno - Instrumental in the creation of ambient music. Also produced some of the greatest albums in the history of recorded music.
    Jimi Hendrix - Major innovator on the electric guitar. Composed some brilliant music too.
    John Fahey - His "American Primitive" solo guitar style brilliantly blended elements of Delta blues, Appalachian folk & classical elements into a sound all its own.
    Sly Stone - Blended pop with R&B and wrote some timeless songs, also helped created funk along the way.
    Jimmy Page
    - The king of the riff, the master of 'light and shade'. He also excelled in the studio creating rich tapestries of sound. His brilliance as a composer particularly shines through on "Kashmir" and "The Rain Song".
    Jason Falkner - In addition to his solo albums and side projects, his musical vision is imprinted on the albums he's produced for others like Anne Soldaat and Brendan Benson.
    Jeff Beck - Genius as a soloist rather than a composer. Cases in point - his solos on "Goodbye Pork Pie Hat", "Cause We Ended as Lovers" and "Blue Wind".
    Danny Gatton -Another genius soloist. He's one the few guitarists that could genuinely improvise at blinding speeds rather than regurgitate scales and licks. He assimilated the major American musical styles - Jazz, Country, Blues, Rock'n'Roll/Rockabilly - better then anyone else I've heard.
    David Bowie - The Miles Davis of pop and rock in the 70s when he continuously innovated in his quest to create fresh sounds.
    Lee Perry - along with King Tubby, he created dub. He was also the producer of some of the best music coming out of Jamaica in the 70s.
    Lennon & McCartney taken together as a unit, with an assist from George Martin,. I refer everyone to the recent article in The Atlantic detailing the dynamics of their creative partnership. http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/06/the-power-of-two/372289/

JohnnyQuest and Actuarybrad like this.
  8. goombay

goombay Forum Resident

duke ellington
    t rex
    sly stone
    merle haggard
    johnny cash
    cannonball and david axelrod
    son house
    howlin wolf
    solomon burke
    bobby fuller and buddy holly
    all geniuses

9. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Genius is a subjective category so it is no use arguing about someone's choices. It would be helpful if people would state their criteria for inclusion because then we could at least see whether the choices fit and what others would fit too.

For myself genius means an individual, not a duo or group and someone who displays consistent creativity and originality combined with technical craft over a period of years, preferably for a major portion of their life. I think it has got to be something compositional and not simply technical excellence. I also think genius is Not an either/or construct in that we can have lesser (minor) geniuses and greater (Major) geniuses. Actually I like a number of the mentions here for recent musical geniuses such as Hendrix or Miles Davis or Monk. I don't think anyone in pop music or jazz has yet risen to the level of "Major" genius but that's just me.

ggergm and john greenwood like this.
  10. GRC

GRC Senior Member

all the usual suspects have been mentioned - this is all very subjective and depends on where you want to set the bar...............i personally would not list many of these artists as "geniuses" - i put the bar high for that word and do consider some of the early classical composers geniuses such as Bach, Mozart, Beethoven etc. i can't put Zappa, Lennon, and others up there.......great songwriters and musicians that they are. Hendrix, Monk, others may approach it. .............. criteria would help........

konut and David Ellis like this.
  11. gst510

gst510 Forum Resident

Too difficult to call for me, but that doesn't stop me from adding a couple of names to the mix:

Eric Dolphy
    Roland Kirk

12. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Atlantic Records clearly felt Ray Charles deserved the title :)

Ash76 and David Ellis like this.
  13. glenecho

glenecho Forum Resident

14. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Nicely put. I couldn't agree more with this statement. "Pushing the envelope" to coin a phrase.

petem1966 likes this.
  15. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

Lots of yucks itt.

But seriously, folks, genius is as genius does. While many artists create some works of genius (Brian Wilson, Dylan, L/M, some jazz artists, etc.) it takes a whole body of genius (Beethoven, Mozart for instance) to qualify as a genius. Seriously, has anyone created something so earth-shattering and different from all that came before as Beethoven did in 1826 with The Grosse Fuge - a century before his time (as were all of his late quartets). Now, that is a genius.

16. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

How about the Venal Old Goat himself, Robert Fripp? He has persistently reinvented Crimson over the years, his own music, Frippertronics and Soundscapes, are marvels of invention, emotion, and skill, and his additions to other people's music (Bowie for example) lift that music to higher levels than they would have been without him. Not to mention the invention of New Standard Tuning and a whole new discipline for playing guitar.

17. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

That's a good point. I consider Leos Janacek's two string quartets to be stunningly original music. Works of genius by someone who isn't otherwise a genius (based on what I've heard of his other pieces).

ABull likes this.
  18. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

A lot of names have been thrown around so far. If this keeps up we're going to have trouble finding anyone who *isn't* a genius. Barry White?!

19. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Charles Ives caught on to one of the things that Beethoven does in the Grosse Fuge to powerful effect. There's bits of the fugue that are not "reconciled" harmonically, rather they are allowed to express dissonance in full cry. There's a moment of this in the "Eroica", where there's a bitonal clash. But you won't hear this level or kind of dissonance again until Charles Ives and the Second Viennese School. A lot of Beethoven's "Late Period" finales have this mode of polyphonic writing, almost "punk" in its harshness of expression.

David Ellis, norman_frappe and ABull like this.
  20. It would appear that in a thread where no consensus could ever be reached that one would have to break this down into categories or genres and slip their respective "geniuses" into little boxes.

21. ABull

ABull Forum Resident

So true. Also, Bartok created a set of stunning quartets -- very dissonant and yet so beautiful.

mando_dan, norman_frappe and Robin L like this.
  22. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I would think that anyone that is/was considered a "musical genius" should have an understanding of the most deeper-than-deep rules of music theory and be able to apply them. So by my definition, self-taught musicians that can't even read sheet music would not apply. They might be great musicians and I might love their output but I wouldn't consider them geniuses.

Robin L and David Ellis like this.
  23. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

I was at a couple of concerts in local Cathedrals last week with Arvo Part in attendance
    He is the most recorded living composer and a genius in my book
    But so is George Martin...
    And Hildegard

Robin L, petem1966 and norman_frappe like this.
  24. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

And Kenny Clarke, and Bud Powell, and Monk...

25. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Why do you think he was a 'bit of an idiot'?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.