Is there anybody around we could truly call a musical genius?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

To be fair, modern technology allows more exposure through recordings and broadcast than in the past. There are quite a few talented individuals in the world. Everyone has a different threshold where they say they are geniuses as opposed to talents. Certainly with the many thousands of recordings out there the relatively few music stars that outlast their own generation should be accorded respect. It is just more difficult to assign individual credit given the collaborative nature of most jazz and pop music. At least with someone like Shostakovich or Xenakis you can study their scores independent of some performance of it.

2. gratussi

gratussi Feelin' nearly faded as my jeans.

Lenny Breau, I suppose, for being a guitar virtuoso that many other guitar virtuosos envy. Does that a genius make? It's all in the interpretation of the term; I would definitely call him a genius at playing the guitar. Ted Greene might better fit the bill for his extremely technical knowledge.

All around genius? I would probably defer to the orchestral music composer experts around here.

3. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

Not really going to try and justify my opinions;

However,
    "A genius is a person who displays exceptional intellectual ability, creativity, or originality, typically to a degree that is associated with the achievement of an unprecedented leap of insight. This may refer to a particular aspect of an individual, or the individual in his or her entirety; to a scholar in many subjects (e.g. Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz or Leonardo da Vinci[1]), or a scholar in a single subject (e.g., Albert Einstein or Charles Darwin). There is no scientifically precise definition of genius, and the question of whether the notion itself has any real meaning has long been a subject of debate."

For me, John Martyn fulfilled many of the above criteria.

I saw him perform live many times and have many of his recordings, as I'm sure, do you.

Consistently, his music just makes me feel 'More alive:
    He refused to be "type cast" nor play the Music Industry game.
    For him, only the music mattered, yet, he managed to change direction many times, always to great effect.
    His music crosses generations, My son loves his music and not because it was spoon-fed to him by me.

I appreciate he had his faults, me too, and in a way that makes him all the more remarkable.

Perhaps I am missing the point of this thread, but for me JM fulfils the definition of genius. That's good enough for me.
    Apologies if I have upset anyone.

Please explain why he isn't

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    Ash76 and David Ellis like this.
  4. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

My genius list.....

Zappa
    Lennon-McCartney (George Martin)
    Monk
    Miles Davis
    Philip Glass
    Mozart
    Bach
    Beethoven
    Bob Marley

5. thos

thos Forum Resident

Also, "all the women are strong and all the men are good-looking"...

norman_frappe likes this.
  6. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Prince

zebop likes this.
  7. Inner ear

Inner ear Forum Resident

In order to change the course of music, the musician/ composer has to be fairly well known and not someone obscure, unless they are destined to be "discovered" posthumously like some famous painters were. Unlikely in this day and age IMHO.

However, simply having popularity and "changing" music probably doesn't qualify someone to be called a genius. Otherwise, Black Sabbath and The Ramones would be musical geniuses. In some ways, they probably were.

On the other hand, if we insist that the individual has to have the highest level of music knowledge and technical ability, then we are dismissing the creative genius of people like Chuck Berry, Dylan and yes, The Beatles.

Therein lies the dilemma for me. I think I'm just going to enjoy the music and not worry about the genius factor!

Ryan Lux and ggergm like this.
  8. pulse

pulse Well-Known Member

A lot of folks think the multi-instrumentalist, Brian Carroll (aka Buckethead) is downright too weird and strange to take seriously. However, over the past few years, this guy has essentially been living out of his studio and releasing music at a pace that is just mind-blowing. The music is of the avant-garde, progressive and eclectic variety. Granted, he's best known for his guitar licks, but his Pike series of records is entirely him on all instruments. It's almost depressing to know a single person is mastering so much when I can barely get proficient at one instrument. It's really hard to fathom for me anyway. And it's not just the noodling he's known for in the past. His song-writing abilities have gone through the roof. Check out Pike's #51 if you want to be left a pile of ashes. If you want something more pristine and softer, try any of the albums, Electric Sea, Electric Tears, Rainy Days, and so forth. There's just so much great music coming out of that man right now. Yeah, I'll say he's a definitely a savant, a genius, or whatever superlative you want to throw at him. There are few out there doing what he's doing right now.

9. ljuddpro

ljuddpro Forum Resident

Just citing those alive, I'd add:

Rickie Lee Jones
    Donald Fagen
    Steve Winwood

zebop likes this.
  10. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

There's more, but certainly Roky Erickson and Arthur Lee should be on any "musical genius list"

ruben lopez likes this.
  11. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

That was one of many bad choices. His marriage history is another indication of how erratic and "unmanaged' his personal life was. Conveniently enough, Yardbird's Legend—a forerunner to the sex, drugs 'n' rock 'n' roll to follow—made him an awful role model for years to come.

In case, Beethoven was more opiated than Yardbird, you could look it up.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    David Ellis likes this.
  12. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

McCartney
    Stevie Wonder
    Ray Davies

13. RightOff

RightOff Well-Known Member

"genius?" Not many of those in popular music. Probably Miles Davis. Maybe Frank Zappa.

David Ellis likes this.
  14. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ryan Adams

15. michael landes

michael landes Forum Resident

His point is that the thread topic is "Is there anybody AROUND that you could call a genius."
    and ................ Ray is not AROUND, thus doesn't qualify.

lbangs likes this.
  16. michael landes

Boy are you projecting.

17. My post was meant to be somewhat sarcastic as I didn't see him mention Bach, Beethoven and several others that were mentioned. Maybe they're still around.

18. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

John Lennon, Paul McCartney

19. michael landes

The concept of the indivi
    Ah!. Yeah, posters immediately started ignoring that aspect of the topic.

20. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

There's more, but certainly Roky Erickson should be on any "musical genius list"

21. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Smokey Robinson

zebop and Revolver like this.
  22. michael landes

Just from the range of answers is clear that no two posters have the same idea of what "genius" might mean,
    in spite of an earnest attempt by OP too clarify his intention.

David Ellis likes this.
  23. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Perhaps Beethoven had a different start in life?

24. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Brian Wilson is all around musical genius.

Possibly Prince in regards to his innate musical abilities.

An argument could be made for John Williams as a composer.

There are not many who could be considered to rise to the level of true "genius". We've reduce what the word means because it's used any time someone we support is really good at something. There are a good amount of people who are "extraordinary", lot's of "great", huge amount of "really good", but "genius" is a very rarefied strata.

zebop, JohnnyQuest and David Ellis like this.
  25. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I don't think there was one in the 20th century. Lots of talented people for sure!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.