Is there anything still shocking in rock and roll?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dead of night, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member Thread Starter

I remember when Elvis appeared on the Ed Sullivan show he was only filmed from the waist up because of his obscene dance. When The Beatles appeared on Sullivan, their long hair appalled decent society.

Parents hated The Rolling Stones because of their rough look, and ads asked, "Would you let your daughter date a Rolling Stone?" The Stones were known to have said, "We piss anywhere, man."

Later, The Beatles' drug references and comments about Christ caused many to burn their albums. Finally, when David Bowie announced, "I am gay and always have been," many fans and critics ostrasized him. Bowie also appeared on stage with makeup and a shocking red shag and many men asked, "Is that a man or a woman?"

Ironically, these shock tactics enhanced the popularity and success of these artists. Is there a way, in the 21st century, for a rock and roller to shock the public in a way that helps his career?

2. claypool

claypool New Member

How about Marilyn Manson? I don't know if he has shocked the public the way Sex Pistols or Bowie did but I think his comments, appearance and other doings have helped greatly his career.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Let's see, not on television but on stage, there are examples of performers consuming alcohol and drugs (of all kinds); performing partially and fully naked; having simulated and real sex; using every type of foul and "shocking" language; expressing just about every extreme and careless, idiotic and obscene thought and opinion contrary to any acceptable and intelligent standard I could have thought possible; gotten into fist fights; verbally and physically abusing other people, even mutilating themselves; and killing animals. I believe there are even a couple of people who died (unintentionally) on stage - although I guess suicide and murder still have not been committed on stage for entertainment purposes.

Interestingly, all of this behaviour is actually quite self-destructive and self-loathing.

4. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Funny thing about Marilyn Manson. My young nephew was a huge fan in the day and was happy to play me his stuff.

Musically, it wasn't bad but to me, the visual image and attempts to shock/offend were pure Alice Cooper style show biz (You remember Alice? The supposed "devil worshipper" who used to golf with George Burns? Old George knew better than most offended parents that is was just show bizness after all. "That Alice. He's really a good boy. And he always let's me shave a couple strokes off my golf score.")

I never saw Marilyn for anything more than being a shy repressed Ohio kid who was desperate for fame and attention. But again, it was pure show biz .

Now G G Allin was another story. That guy had some issues.

I think he was the last true rock and roll "shocker." I don't think anyone has topped him.

And I'm glad. I try to be pretty open minded but he truly repulsed me.

5. hifidelitybill

hifidelitybill Forum Resident

lets see...*Elvis=sways pelvis*Jerry Lee=marries cousin*Beatles=long hair*Jim Morrison=public flash?BOWIE=gay=SHOCKING!!!!...Most others to follow= Dare to be stupid

6. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

Dennis Miller had a good line about Marilyn... Somethiing along the lines of "If you have a mug like that and you ever want to get laid, you have to do something shocking" - not the exact quote, but you get the meaning.

Here in the repressed South, GWAR had the privilege of getting a local club closed because of a bit in their show that involved a simulated sex act with a priest. Don't know how the authorities could get that worked up over guys wearing giant paper mache monster heads, but there you go.

The most shocking thing that could come along today would be a guitar band playing actual songs with hooks.

7. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Eminem caused a bit of a stir in 2000. One for being a successful white rapper, the rest for the subject matter of his music. Hardly a huge shocker, but it was a hot button topic for while in the entertainment press. His career certainly sky-rocketed at that point.

8. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

LOL! I wish I'd thought that one up...:righton:

9. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

"Is there anything still shocking in rock and roll?"

Hmmmm... Consistently bad CD mastering? ;)

Cheers,
    Chris

10. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

By now actually a well-mastered rock CD would shock me into heart failure.

11. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

:righton:

12. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Why would that be shocking? There are a MILLION bands like this, all over the world. They're just not signed to major labels.

13. dead of night

I think one way to still shock in rock and roll is to do a role reversal: a middle aged band rebelling against teenagers.

This band could write songs that mock teen culture; there's plenty to criticize. The older music fans could say, "Right on, it's about time," while the teens could laugh and fume at the same time.

14. Dave D

Dave D Done!

You mean all the middle aged guys that play video games, drive hot cars and sit on their a$$ all day?

15. plickfu

plickfu Active Member

I always found the success of Nickelback pretty shocking.

16. pencilchewer

pencilchewer Active Member

:laugh: :agree: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

17. dead of night

No, the middle-aged guys who stay in shape and write great songs. We deplore fat, lazy teenagers with droopy drawers, and teen girls who emulate Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, and Britney Spears.

18. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Well don't count on me to buy a cd by a bunch of whiny old geezers complaining about teenagers. Don't we get that every day in almost all aspects of life, including here?

19. dead of night

Well, I'm going to write a song about a concerned father urging his daughter to wear underwear.

20. Frank Zappa did that.

21. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Man, you got that right. I just spent the better part of 2 hours watching clips of him on youtube. He was truly insane.

22. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Not exactly shocking, but certainly surprising, are rockers who live financially responsible lifestyles and remain faithful to their spouses.

23. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

.....................Why anyone would spend five minutes watching G.G. Allin much less 2 hours is simply a big "huh?" to me. Yeah he was truly insane but I don't spend my weekends cruising mental asylums for entertainment.

24. ericc2000

ericc2000 Forum Resident

Well, I've never heard of the guy before, and I'm at work and there's really nothing else to do. It was a very disturbing 2 hours that I don't want to repeat, especially the video of his funeral.

25. zen

zen Senior Member

Rock concert tickets that only the very wealthy can afford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.