Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Good read, thanks. You always get intelligent and honest comments from Eric and Buck. Nice to know there may be another BOC album at some point.

2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Todd Rundgren is in the same boat, although he has the advantage of being able to make a new album any time he likes on his laptop. Yes, there are going to be a few people who will complain that he should record with "real instruments" but most of those folks aren't going to buy a new album anyway.

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

And a lot of 80s new wave would also get classified as pop, from the Thompson Twins to Howard Jones. There's no shame in this--I don't automatically view pop as a pejorative. That Bastille song sounds a lot like electronic pop to me. I wasn't hearing many rock elements there. Of course, the line between rock and pop can be a blurry one at times and many bands straddle the fence, but I get the feeling that you want to lay claim to Bastille as rock because they are one of the few remaining somewhat successful acts in the field from a sales perspective.

4. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I disagree. The sheer fact that they listen to so many different genres other than rock (unlike many here) is further proof. Every single thread huh?

5. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

There's no shortage of rock music which has its roots showing, even in the genres which you are saying have stripped it away. Just because a tree branches off doesn't mean there's no tree anymore. Just because you turn on the radio and hear Drake doesn't mean rock has ceased to exist or no longer draws a crowd outside of whenever Bruce or Bono decide to hit the road.

Is this Americana ? 'Cuz if it is, Austin City Limits is going to really kick butt this season....

D.D.

6. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Totally there's a new audience for "New Rock" !

Hell, how else did I discover and see
    New Order, Love and Rockets..the Cure ..
    Jesus and Mary Chain.. Blur and Oasis! .. In the eighties and Nineties..

Presently I dig "My Morning Jacket"..

I was, born in 1960.. first albums we're the Monkees, Three Dog Night ..CCR..
    Then on to Neil Young ..Dylan Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin. . Just to give some perspective.

Personally though if I was, to listen to only (2) decades it would be 1960 to 1980.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017
    EasterEverywhere likes this.
  7. Tristero

I enjoy most of these bands, but how are they new exactly? Even the youngest among them (MMJ) has been around for nearly 20 years.

8. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Don't take it too personally, but dis kinna ting rally pitheth mehoff about music forums. What the ...heck is a rock element? "...would also get classified as pop..."? Who talks like that?

If you think they're pop, just say so. Then I can disagree and we can be done with it.

9. edised

edised Forum Resident

10. dmiller458

The question is about new rock in the 00s and 10s.

11. dmiller458

IF he wants to talk rather than sing, he should just rap.

12. dmiller458

The mp3 and the stream put the focus back on the individual song. IF BOC wants airplay, they should focus on writing hit singles.

13. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

Hey Tristero, totally get what you're saying. My point was I "discovered" and liked these "new band's" and their music at that time in history.. so there's always something "New" I may like. Admittingly though it's going to be few and far between in my opinion for bands that I really fall in love with and have to have almost everything they recorded...

kind of like your first love... you fall Head Over Heels for your bands you really enjoyed .. like most of us did Growing Up in the sixties and seventies.. I guess it stays with you forever.

14. Tristero

You're the one who seems to be taking this question personally. I realize that genre labels like this often have severe limitations, but it gives us a basic language for talking about music. I can't speak for their entire catalog but "Good Grief" and another Bastille song that I sampled ("Things We Lost In The Fire") sounded more pop than rock to me--again, not an insult--with more of an emphasis placed on keyboards, vocals and beats than guitars (a.k.a. a rock element).

15. Diamond Dog

Thanks for the insight. Why don't you share it with him ? I'm sure he'll be interested in your nuanced opinion, what with you being a self-styled internet music forum expert and all....

[email protected]

Let us know how this works out for you.

D.D.

Gaslight likes this.
  16. dmiller458

Like they give a ...durn about the listeners' opinions.

17. Diamond Dog

Don't let that deter you for one minute ! It doesn't seem to deter you here. ;) :)

D.D.

18. dmiller458

That's not a redirector to some pron site that will give me a virus?

19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I can totally see Blue Oyster Cult having a hit single in 2017.

20. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I'm not too sure about that.I can't think of any forty years old band with a even somewhat hit single ever.Their time came and went a looong time ago.

21. dmiller458

Hello,

We were discussing your band on a music forum. I prefer singers that actually sing rather than talk-singing. One of the posters gave me this email.

Donald

22. INSW

INSW Senior Member

I was kidding.

EasterEverywhere and ronm like this.
  23. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I was thinking but didn't want to say"what on earth is this person thinking".

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Actually, my opinion on the matter is that people are generally the same, regardless of when you grew up. So I agree, the younger generation are basically just younger versions of their parents and grandparents, more or less.

That goes for the rose-colored glasses - there's a couple of those that my generation (or older) seem to pass around to each other.

25. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

While I can understand that view, I always have hope that a band like that is going to make records anyway, because they have a need to as creative artists. There are people making records in their basements that hardly anyone will ever hear, simply because they have a need to make them. The fact that hardly anyone is going to hear them doesn't deter those folks. They keep churning them out. I don't expect my favorite artists to not be business-oriented, but I don't want them to be only business-oriented. I want them to be business-oriented AND have a drive similar to those folks in their basements at the same time.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2017