Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. It may be as simple as, rock is a victim of its own success, once classic rock became the background music for parties, BBQs, shopping, driving, etc., I think the upcoming generation(s) simply burned out on it (essentially their parents' music, not theirs), and looked elsewhere: hip hop, pop, r&b, country, electronica, etc.,

EasterEverywhere and Fullbug like this.
  2. steveinca

steveinca New Member

I have done my share of listening to classic rock..I'm looking forward to the new release of "10 years" and "Chevelles". I missed so much just listening to Tull/Zeppelin/Doors/Pink Floyd and so on all the time. I would like to see"Within Temptation" to name a few. As usual i'm always waiting for the new Tool album.

3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Almost a year later... and I still think "All Them Witches" is the best 'new' rock band going. Can't wait to see them again in a couple weeks. Killing it.

Double D, Fullbug and weavzy like this.
  4. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Really? Talk about blanket statements. I just don't get this pessimistic vibe. I'm not a Facebook kind of guy (I'm more into Twitter) but I went to look, expecting to see the "new rock" wasteland you're describing, and I just didn't see that at all. Modern rock music is being discussed - perhaps not to the extent some would like but it is.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    The Doctor likes this.
  5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

They are boring and medicore, so that's not necessarily good PR for rock music. Imo of course.

6. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Me "Hey Dave Gruel, your music is boring and mediocre."
    Grohl "Dave Gruel? Funny, never heard that one before. Lemmy ask you something? My new album is an across-the-board number one. How did yours do?"
    Me "Um, well, never mind"
    Grohl :rolleyes:

Fullbug likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm not sure if you agree or not, but sales figures does not equal good music to me :).

8. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Dr. Dre's The Chronic & Snoop Doggs debut were the quintessential cookout albums for many growing up. So was a lot of Tupac & Biggie. It's all over t.v. shows, movies, even commercials. Hip hop evolved though, and a lot of kids gravitate towards the newer stuff even though all the adult, "old head" hip hop fans hate it. The main criticism they have for the newer stuff is that it's simple, or dumbed down, & lacks technical ability. In other words, it's classic rock/prog vs punk all over again. Rock stopped evolving, or evolved so much that's it's not really recognizable. It seems like hip hop is going through the same thing. Evolve or die, as they say.

9. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Rock music is just not so culturally relevant anymore. There are no mainstream rock TV programmes on terrestrial TV here in the UK unless you count the sporadic Joola Holland. This is not to say that there is not good music still being made but there are so many other distractions/diversions in modern life that rock music simply does not have the monopoly it once did. People still love a good melody. A good tune. Many young people are drawn to older rock or pop acts because of this but there is a lot more going on in music too. So many songs/tracks out there to be heard. We are spread more thinly as a result. People will still latch onto well marketed or publicised acts as this is easy and it is what is promoted. Quality might not be so great, though.

10. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

I never see it on my feed and I belong to a bunch of music groups.

11. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

New rap is the most retarded sh!t ever. Using autotune throughout the entire song = lame. Every "rapper" making the same autotuned "yeaaahh!" sound along with the other weird machine gun sound effects with their mouth is just about the most uncool thing I've ever heard. They actually aren't even rapping anymore, I've noticed. It's morphed into this kind of sing-songy talking thing, it's something different now. And it sucks.

I love what Snoop has to say about the new breed of rappers:

12. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

I have not read all 41 pages of this thread, sorry. One thing I have noticed is that in the 1970s and now, there was and is a big audience for soft rock, a sort of catchy, folksy rock with simple lyrics and a steady beat, nothing too edgy. Now it's called contemporary country. Go to a concert by Eric Church, Zac Brown, Kenny Chesney, Jason Aldean, Luke Bryan, Lady Antebellum, Tim McGraw. It's rock as we knew it in the 1970s, leaving out the edgy weird stuff which was the most interesting rock of the 1970s. There is no hint of what we knew as country in the 1970s.

mikedifr0923 and The Doctor like this.
  13. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

One of the more stupid pronouncements .... there is a TON of new music that most certainly is Rock'n'roll. Dreamers Sweet Disaster comes to mind.

weavzy and Schoolmaster Bones like this.
  14. DHamilton

DHamilton Forum Resident

gosh some people on here are out of control...:rolleyes:

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Of course, rock music is still being made, but it isn't having nearly the kind of popular mainstream impact that it once did. Take a look at the top selling albums from last year. How many of these could even remotely be considered rock?

Top Billboard 200 Albums - Year-End 2016

16. that usually makes for good rock 'n' roll:agree:

17. dmiller458

Not including compliations, it looked to be around 25 (at a glance). But that depends on how narrowly it's defined. Add in the best of/greatest hits collections and it's just under 35 or so.

18. Mr. Grieves

Agree but out course there are exceptions. Anyway we have Kanye & Andre 3000 to blame for a lot of it. It's definitely more about Melody & instant hooks & what not. More emotional too. Also very freaking popular. The parallels between hip hop & rock, and even jazz, is pretty interesting though.

19. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You might be applying a looser standard than I would, but I saw very little in the top 50, excluding those compilations. I guess that maybe Coldplay counts. So by your predominant metric (sales), today's rock is far inferior to pop, hip hop, etc.

20. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

A lot of what I knew as country in the 1970s was Alabama, Kenny Rogers, Eddie Rabbit, Juice Newton, Dolly Parton, Bellamy Brothers, etc. Stuff that was safe, middle of the road, and easily crossed over to the pop charts.

Radio Jammor likes this.
  21. dmiller458

I didn't see anything about the top 50 in your question.

Commercially inferior? Of course. Artistically inferior? That's too subjective.

22. Remote Control Triangle

Remote Control Triangle Forum Member Rated 6.8 By Pitchfork

I always liked Andre 3000, thought he was pretty ahead of his time. I even consider Kanye to be a very forward thinking rapper, even though I'm not really a big fan, I do think he's done some absolutely fantastic tracks and probably really is a genius, as he claims.

You know, right after I wrote my post, I realized I'm probably sounding like an old guy who's just nostalgic...probably just like Snoop! I stumbled on this video and it's really got me thinking about newer rap in a different way. I'm gonna try listening to some new stuff with a more open mind...hell, I'll even give lil' yachty a chance...haha

23. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

It's pretty easy to be dismissive of things, given the sorry state of commercial radio these days, but there is still plenty of interest in rock and guitar-based music in general.

One interesting stat that I ran across is that a full 50% of new electric guitar players/buyers are female.

slipkid likes this.
  24. Hot Ptah

Hot Ptah Forum Resident In Memoriam

The current contemporary country does not sound like that. Those artists are too twangy, too roots oriented, for today's hit country scene.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  25. Mr. Grieves

I really like Kanye, and pre-Yezzus I'd say he's great. I LOVE Andre 3000, he's a top 5 rapper for me, & Outkast we're a blessing to hip-hop & music in general. Seeing as the predated & influenced the new hip hop sounds now, you could say 808s & Heartbreak and The Love Below are the Raw Power & New York Dolls of hip hop music. Though I'm not very invested in the music those albums influenced, I'm always checking & interested in where hip-hop goes. It took Rock nearly 50 years before it's grip on the mainstream really began to loosen.