Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

You mean the singles chart or the album chart?

2. dmiller458

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The radio charts.

4. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Define "rock".
    And therein lies a very thorny problem especially on this Forum.

EasterEverywhere and altaeria like this.
  5. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

Well, nobody's arguing that "new rock" is on the level of top pop artists. But it does have its own sizeable audience - that's all I'm saying.

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  6. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

I watched some Greta Van Fleet clips and I have to say I don't get the hype. The studio stuff sounds pretty good but they're not very good live. Not terrible or anything but they sound and look like a local band. Not a band ready or really worthy of the international stage. But people seem to love 'em so what do I know.

William Smart and FrixFrixFrix like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Here's another:

Over 6 million views.

Other examples have been submitted upthread - and of course, there are many more.[/QUOTE]

It's unfair for people to dismiss their YouTube figures. They haven't even got an album out yet.

I expected not to like this but they're good. I have a feeling they're going to be big. Not many bands have done this kind of thing well for years. They need a good producer and good promotion. I hope they don't descend into complete bland crap in the way Kings of Leon did after a couple of successful hard rock albums.

The singer looks a bit boy-band, but that could work for them!

William Smart likes this.
  8. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

How new is new rock you refer to?
    Does Caveman count?
    Goldfrapp (electronic/vocal)?
    Caribou (electronic)?

They sell out in NYC consistently.

9. AcidPunk15

AcidPunk15 Forum Resident

I know everyone forgets this one remembers the sh**ty bands or movies

10. AcidPunk15

What do you mean I think they look cool but your average 20 something would say oh their just a bunch of hipsters.

11. AcidPunk15

this is their first real tour. I don't like the band but haven't had the change to become a solid live band.

Frosst likes this.
  12. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

Of course there is. There are over 130 fans strong in the Valley, nearly 50 in San Diego county & San Francisco has nearly a hundred, not even counting Oakland. By the time you add Santa Barbara, Sacramento, Baker's field. California alone has over a thousand fans Willing to pay $10-20 for new rock.

13. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

King Gizzard is an amazing band that really succeeds in releasing good stuff. But I don't think many other bands can succed as good as them because it's really hard to keep up the quality if you release several records every year. King Gizzard And The Lizard Wizard succeeds in this but that's because they're so talented.

William Smart and DrZhivago like this.
  14. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

I'm in the audience.

klockwerk and bamaaudio like this.
  15. Django

Django Forum Resident

It's unfair for people to dismiss their YouTube figures. They haven't even got an album out yet.

QUOTE]

In places, He really sounds like a young Robert Plant.
    I love all kinds of music, but I would consider myself primarily a rock fan. But usually when I hear a new band that are "rock" in the traditional sense I don't tend to be that interested. The last straight up new mainstream rock band I loved was arctic monkeys. Newer bands/artists I've gotten into over the last 10-12 years.... Ariel pink, beech house, jacco Gardner, Ezra Furman, tame impala, ducktails, st Vincent, Syd Arthur, loads more. I don't know if they would be considered rock. Probably more of an indie, shoegaze, electronic, psychedelic mish mash.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

well too bad cause the indies are far better than mainstream songwriters and have been for years now.

17. FrixFrixFrix

FrixFrixFrix Senior Member

Based on what? I see nothing in what they're doing that merits that outlook.

Too late, IMO.

18. dmiller458

Except that not what you said.

19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Don't knock the advantages of it. If you discover a band early in their career, if they make it big, you'll be an "insider". I know bands that I have only paid to see once - every time after that, I have been on the guest list - even at festivals. Also, you can have a disproportionate amount of impact on the direction of their career.

It's not as Machiavellian as all that - I'm talking about bands that I genuinely enjoy, but it's cool to discover someone early on, and being recognized as someone with an eye for talent.

William Smart likes this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I didn't particularly like them, but there's not much straight ahead rock around by young bands at the moment. Even bands like Arctic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age and Biffy Clyro have all been going for between 10-15 years and are mostly middle aged. A lot of modern rock is also dark, complex and melancholy, these guys seem positive and unpretentious. I just think with the right promotion, 'the kids' could go for these.

21. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

I felt the same way. I don't listen to much straightforward classic hard rock these days but this was a pleasant surprise. I'm not going to pretend like they're going to become superstars or something (not very likely, given the current state of affairs). I just used them as an example to show that rock music isn't in such a dire state as it's often made out to be.

Man at C&A likes this.
  22. dmiller458

23. dmiller458

They're not a pop act. They're a rock band. I don't care about their YouTube views. They're just getting started.

Help me out here. How does the singer's looks effect the quality of the music?

You say you like the song and yet all I see in this post is negativity.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I actually didn't like the song much, I never said I did. But I could hear that the band had talent and I'd probably have loved this when I was a teenager. I'm a 43 year old man. I don't think new young bands should be aiming their music at the likes of me!

The singer's looks have nothing to do with music quality. But image and looks have always been important in rock and pop music. I think the four guys in your avatar might not have got so noticed early on if they weren't a good looking lot, but their music was rather good. I thought the singer looked like a pop singer and their music sounded heavy but also commercial. That's not a negative, I like rock and pop. I also like commercial music.

YouTube views are sadly the way many people judge popularity nowadays. This band's are very good for a new band who haven't toured or released a record yet. That's hardly a negative comment. The views shouldn't be dismissed when we're discussing how popular they are. I must admit I hadn't heard of them this time yesterday.

If all you see is negativity, you're being very selective. Thanks for that. Anyway, you should be able to relate to it, hardly seeming to be Mr. Happy!

25. dmiller458

I misread the post based on the way that Django quoted yours. My mistake.

EDIT: No, I didn't. I'm working so my attention is divided.

Help me out here. You say that he looks like a pop singer. What does a pop singer look like?

Again, help me out. You didn't expect to like them, but they're good. Or you didn't like it and you never said you did.

And I always thought that John and Ringo were kind of homely, but that's just one opinion.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017