Is there even an audience for new rock anymore?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 26, 2017.

1. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Something is happenin' when it puts a vibe in the air that everyone can feel and that everyone can feed off of.

"Define "vibe"." :realmad:

2. dmiller458

IMO anyone that loses their ability to appreciate new music didn't appreciate music much to begin with.

LilacTeardrop and Danby Delight like this.
  3. dmiller458

Then why do we see the same names over and over when we look at who's dominating streaming and social media? It is possible.

But now just as everyone's an artist, everybody's a critic. And that seems to have resulted in two standards, it's superlative or it sucks.

Jay-Z has 14 number one albums. I don't care much for hip-hop. I can say that's 14 number ones is not a valid criteria for quality. And I can expect everyone to agree with me. Everyone except for his fans...

My opinion is not stop his next album from going number one.

Rhapsody In Red likes this.
  4. dmiller458

The guy in the movie said, "Elvis, play something with B@LL$!" There's no swagger, because rock has been neutered by PC culture.

Help me out here. I wanna give KG and the LW another listen. What IYO is their best album?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  5. dmiller458

BTW I've been sick with a cold for the past week, so I'm playing catch-up.

6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I disagree. I've met plenty of people who have a deep commitment to the music they loved at 18 - but sadly have no interest in learning about music written after they turned 30. I consider myself lucky in that I can constantly discover new music - for whatever reason, the "new music" switch that got turned to the "off" position in their brains is still on in mine.

LilacTeardrop likes this.
  7. dmiller458

That's the key difference "deep commitment to the music they loved" rather than a deep commitment to music.

8. Chris DeVoe

Possibly because there is a type of fame that is separate from talent. Taylor Swift is a talented songwriter - but a good portion of her fame has to do with her looks and who she's dating. I'm not familiar enough with his music to have a valid opinion, but I get the feeling Jay-Z is the same way - a mixture of actual talent and "famous for being famous." How many of those shrieking girls at Shea appreciated the Beatles as songwriters, and how many were there because of the "cute boy factor"?

9. Chris DeVoe

Bollocks.

jay.dee likes this.
  10. dmiller458

Made a living? It's good that they can make a living doing what they enjoy. I wasn't raised in an era of full-time professional musicians. I was raised in an era of rock stars.

11. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

"the definition of paragraph" is dmiller's definition of "I got nothing. Can't refute what you're saying. Can't define Rock. Finding it difficult to come up with any original content or any persuasive counter-arguments."

I'll repeat...

DRM said:
    What actually is considered Rock these days?

Is punk and New Wave considered Rock?

How about Rap?

Has Rock coopted Rap...and Punk...and New Wave?

Or are Rap, Punk, and New Wave genres of their own?

Is Hip Hop also considered Rock?

Is Electronic Dance Music also Rock?

Is EDM a genre of its own or is it actually Rock?

What music has evolved beyond Rock...is not that closely related/not largely derivative from Rock...and has actually evolved into a new genre?

Or at least...is different enough from Rock...to be considered a new genre?

I think some Rock enthusiasts like to call everything "Rock".

Here's a sampling of styles of Rock...from a listing for an album I'm considering:

Genre: Rock

Inlay Condition: Excellent (EX)

Style: Acoustic, Alternative/Indie, Blues Rock, Experimental Rock, Folk/Country Rock, Kraut Rock, Lo-Fi, Progressive/Art Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Punk/New Wave, Rock 'n' Roll, Singer-Songwriter, Soft Rock
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    So, I guess EVERYTHING is Rock.

And there's nothing new under the sun.

"I liked burgers 20 years ago and I still like burgers. Burgers will always be burgers and Rock will always be Rock. Forever and ever and ever. Live it and Love it!"

Asian Rock.

Accordion Rock.

Soul Rock.

Emo Rock.

Rockabilly Rock.

Polka Rock.

Hip Hop Rock.

Kraut Rock.

Symphonic Rock.

Soft Rock.

Space Rock.

Acoustic Rock.

Ragtime Rock.

Country Rock.

Hard Rock.

Psychedelic Rock.

Waltz Rock.

Singer-Songwriter Rock.

Jazz Rock.

Lo Fi Rock.

Progressive Rock.

Blues Rock.

Rap Rock.

Alternative/Indie Rock.

Punk Rock.

New Wave Rock.

Ambient Rock.

Electronic Dance Rock.

Disco Rock.

Orchestral Rock.

Folk Rock.

Choral Rock.

Instrumental Rock.

Rock and Roll Rock.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    So is the label/word "Rock"... now being used by some...as the new label/word for "Music"?

"Yes, we will...we will...ROCK YOU!"

(Joy to the world...)

12. dmiller458

That's what I said about everybody being a critic. Taylor Swift is good looking. Should she hide it? I say if you got it, flaunt it. I have no idea who she's dating. But you bring it up. If that's more important to you than the quality of her music, maybe that says something more about you and your perception of her and her career than it does about her music.

I don't judge a pop star by a rock standard. The pop standard is professionalism. She delivers the goods.

It's 50+ years after the fact. I don't give a durn.

13. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, there is genre mania. But if you call so many types of different/dissimilar music "Rock"...you're blurring things too much.

I'm still trying to figure out how "soft acoustic rock" is lumped together with "hard rock". Yes, both came about in the Sixties and Seventies. But is THAT the reason they both are termed "rock"?

14. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Yes, music is sweet.

All types.

Let's stop calling so much music "Rock".

15. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

'Rock' just became the go-to catch-all term. Probably for good reason - it's a great word, no?

16. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Burlesque music by scantily dressed women who gyrate up and down on stage with similarly scantily dressed women is a big hit these days.

Is that considered new rock?

17. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

When I actually hear someone give a good reason why it's become a catch all term, then I might agree that it's a great word.

Right now, I think it's mainly about older people wanting THEIR type of music...from the Sixties and Seventies...to still be dominating.

In 2018.

When it is NOT.

But I guess if you call SO much...in 2018..."Rock", then you've got the "Rock is still alive and well, often dominating" angle covered.

Younger people and people of color aren't buying this, of course...

They've basically moved on past Rock.

Most of them have.

18. dmiller458

I didn't try to refute your post, because there's nothing there to refute. There's no substance to it.

I say what I mean. I don't have a use for unnecessary double quotes or for weasel words like considered.

19. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

It's just a word though. Obviously it's one that a lot of people like - it's been immortalized in countless songs.

Take 'Long Live Rock' by the Who - what other word would you put in its place?

Some people say 'pop' would be more appropriate. But 'pop' doesn't mean much either - it's an abbreviation for popular - yahoo!

My point being only, don't get hung up on the nomenclature - it means nothing, really.

20. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

So which are you? Using that logic you must not have a deep commitment to music because you state you don't care much for hip-hop. I'm sure you don't need the definition of commitment, or do you? I doubt anyone has a deep commitment to every type of music under the sun, but the statement you thought so clever somehow states that people should if they profess a love for music.

21. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Why are you so obsessed with what music is called? What it sounds like is more interesting.

22. Audjack

Audjack Forum Resident

I seldom listen to new rock here in the states...none can compare to my generation of the late 60's and 70's and some 80's...but i do like a few metal bands from over seas like avantasia and ed guy.

23. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Well, not the 150,000 - 200,000 people who are heading to Rock am Ring/Rock im Park in June.

[​IMG]

24. dmiller458

There's quality in all music. I don't care much for opera either. I'm a metal-head, but I don't care much for extreme metal due to the vocals. In the right mood, I can listen to and enjoy opera, extreme metal, and hip-hop. It's just not the first thing I'm going to reach for when it comes to either new music or the tried-and-true.

25. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

PC culture is definitely an issue, but it hasn’t taken the swagger away, at least not yet. Censorship on YouTube is astonishing, though.