Is there quality loss when CD tracks are turned into WAV files?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rock76, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Or is it the best way to burn using drag-and-drop directly from the original CD?

(I've always wondered that)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The quality of the .wav file ripped from CD is always dependant on the quality of the CD ROM/burner doing the ripping, and the software used to rip. I would say that in 98% of the time, no, there is no quality degredation, or at least any that matters.

3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

None whatsoever...It's digital...just a simple clone.

4. BrettyD

BrettyD Senior Member

So ...no difference when using Audition, between just opening a CD track and using the "extract from CD" option?
    I didnt hear any, and didn't think there would be.

5. Grant

Nope, no difference. I do 99% of my ripping with Audition.

6. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

WAV files actually have the capacity to hold more information than the standard CD. I've archived some reels into WAV files at about twice the bit rate of a CD. I think the term is "bit rate," anyway.

And I use a program called "CloneCD" for my duplicating needs. Great program.

JEFF!

7. Rob LoVerde

Rob LoVerde New Member

There should not be any degradation of the audio when changing to a .wav file. In fact, it's the best format to use for PCM 16-bit 44.1khz audio, if you must make a file of audio.

Now, me the purist.................Hahahaha.

8. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

You're not "changing" anything, really. Firstly, realize that there's no such thing as a "CD Audio" file. Windows pretends these exist (with the .cda extension) but they're an operating-system conceit; in reality, there's no such thing. CD Audio is comprised of PCM sampled at 16-bits/44.1kHz. When you "turn these into WAV files," what you're actually doing is grabbing the data stream, performing a bit of byte-reodering, and shoving it into a file.

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Correct, that's exactly what I use for my original music.:)

10. Cyaneyes

Cyaneyes Forum Resident

Always use a secure ripping program such as EAC to be sure your extractions are bit-identical. Any program will work fine for a mint condition CD, but if there are scratches, extracting with a non-secure program can lead to pops in your WAVs.

11. Grant

Certainly! I do many of my needle drops in hi-rez (32-bit/88.2k). Wav files can hold a lot more information about type, name, images, what have you. Other than that, David is again spot on with his info!

12. Luke M

Luke M New Member

A caveat does apply. Some CDs use a feature called "pre-emphasis", which modifies the interpretation of the audio (boosted treble). Because this bit is not part of the audio data, it will not be captured by a .WAV file.

However, since 99% of CDs do not use pre-emphasis, this is usually not a problem.

13. reidc

reidc Senior Member

I only use EAC to rip music to my drive. In fact I make clones of some of my CD's SPECIFICALLY for use in my car using only EAC. I cannot fathom using some of my rare or Golds in the car environment.

Chris

14. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

If one wants to boost the treble, they can do so right on their EQ anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.