Is this a good turntable for home use?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rock76, Dec 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rock76

rock76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

That's a DJ table - scratch, scratch, etc - not recommended for home use IMHO.

3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

The photo didn't come up on the link, but I'd avoid Geminis in general. Their best model is an imitation of the Technics SL-1200, but it's not as well-made. Their cheapest models are absolute crap, even the motors are mostly plastic.

4. rock76

That's what I would want a turntable for. Home use.
    The one at home is pure plastic and sound isn't too good to say the least.

Can you recommend me any other affordable brand with a 'good enough' sound?

Thx.

5. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I'd look for a used Linn Basik or Axis or
    a Rega P3 or P2 or
    one of the Sumiko imports
    At least with the Linn and the Regas you can upgrade, don't know about the Sumiko Imports

6. audio

audio New Member

7. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

If you're looking for a DJ set-up, look for direct drive turntables. Gemini may make a set-up similar to the one you listed, but in direct drive decks. Technics is the brand you should look for, if you're looking for DJ capabilities with best performance. Ebay would probably be a good place to find these things used.

8. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

9. Dingusboy

Dingusboy Forum Resident

Hey Pinknik,

He said in his second post:
    It was worded a little awkward but he wants to spin vinyl like most normal folk.

10. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I like my Gemini XL-200.

11. rock76

Right. Just a 'good enough' player.
    :righton:

12. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

rock76,

Kind of the Chevy of turntables: basic, but gets the job done without much $$$ needed and no fussing with weird/half-baked mechnical systems (I own this one myself):

Technics SL-BD22 at J&R Music

Tonearm & support gimbal is made of metal; bottom half of base is some kind of dense & funky-feeling plastic called TNRC. Whatever it is, I've never been able to cause any feedback from this table despite one of my front main speakers being only four feet away (the table is on top of an entertainment center with no additonal absorbtion devices used with it).

Only one real drawback IMO: needs a p-mount cart so this kind of limits your selection of this component.

13. Or try this. Go to eBay and thyp this number into the search block

A nice vintage 1976 ish Pioneer that will fit your needs. I have a PL-71 that I use and it works great.

14. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

Have a look at the Kabusa.com site, they have a range of turntables that might suit your budget......

www.kabusa.com/ttables.htm

15. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Ah, my misunderstanding. Tell ya what, then, before my sickness got me buying things like a Linn Basik and my current VPI, I had a Technics belt drive table with a P-mount cart. It sounded really good, and was gentle to my records. I sold it to a friend for $50. They're probably on Ebay as well. Can't remember the model number, but there wasn't anything fancy about it, it just worked well. Think I had an Audio Technica cart. Good stuff.

16. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

If you decide to go with the Technics SL-BD22, get the AT316EP cartridge. I read it's the best p-mount Audio Technica cartridge available now that the AT331 is no longer in production. Never get a Grado p-mount with a Technics.

17. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

The one Taurus posted about is the one I'm describing. Nice table.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.