Is this the worst 5.1 mix ever?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Vandenville, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Useful post, there. Brings a lot to the conversation......

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I actually have it. Played it once and never took it to the PC to "look" at it because it was apparent it was a horrible mix. Thanks for posting that because the picture speaks a thousand words. Worse than those old classical Q8's that had the fronts duplicated into the rears but delayed by a second.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Same. But now I’m afraid to play it again...it may blow up my speakers!

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  4. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

I don't like any of the Genesis multichannel mixes, but "visually" I would bet they look better than that travesty.

5. Vandenville

Vandenville Forum Resident Thread Starter

Unfortunately I couldn't post the music without getting into copyright trouble. But that picture says a lot to the trained eye.

Even there is some activity in the center (its actually VERY QUIET isolated voice and rhythm guitar), it won't have any impact in the overall mix because the Front L/R speakers are so overwhelming loud.

So... yes, sometimes a picture is enough to give you an good clue what the mix will sound like.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  6. Vandenville

This is the ripped 5.1 audio track, so is this the final mix as it is on the DVD. Nothing changed.

7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

No, the worst 5.1 mix ever killed my pappy. Killed him dead!

8. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Now I remember why I only played this once. It’s a terrible record! Some bad lyrics, some boring music and a subpar production. Depressing all the way around.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

No you can’t.

You can guess what the nature of the mix is, but not the quality of the mix is. Judging the quality of a mix solely on how much or little is in the rears is ridiculous.

10. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

If it's a 5.1 mix of a studio album, you most certainly can judge it. There's so little volume happening in the rear that there's almost no point in it being a surround mix at all. Especially, as mentioned, compared to how loud the front L/R channels are.

If it were a movie surround mix, sure, you wouldn't expect super-active rear signals. Likewise, a lot of live albums are mixed in surround with primarily the audience/room in the rears, and you wouldn't expect a lot then either. But if a studio recording isn't doing something interesting with the surround channels... why bother?

dobyblue and JonUrban like this.
  11. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So now you’re qualifying it...

This philosophy that there has to be stuff in the rears has killed surround music. Good mixers and artists know some music demands it, some doesn’t. I have no idea which is which by solely looking at waveforms whether or not the amount of info in the rears is appropriate or not.

More to my original point, one has no idea when looking at waveforms whether the diminished dynamic range is a result of a mix choice, a mastering choice or both. It never really dawned on me someone would actually judge the quality of a mix by the amplitude of the rears.

I have this disc, but haven’t listened to it in some time. I seem to recall I was indifferent to it; I found it was neither notably good nor bad.

12. boggs

boggs Multichannel Machiavellian

Not sure if I agree with these statements. If you don't effectively use the rear channels, one only has 3-d stereo, and that is not 5.1 nor is it surround.

dobyblue likes this.
  13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

How can you tell anything about a mix from a waveform? The mastering, maybe. I can definitely see it's compressed heavily. But the mix?

marcb likes this.
  14. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Well, when there’s pretty much nothing in 3 of the 5 non-sub channels then that’s a mix problem.

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Of course this assumes the center channel is really even necessary or needed any more than to anchor the center - which would be a false assumption...

16. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Define “effectively”.

17. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

I agree with David. If there's nothing in the rears, and nothing in the center, no matter how great the fronts sound, and they can be mastered to perfection, then it's a crappy 5.1 mix. Because why? Well, what's the point of having the other channels?

It can be the ultimate 2.o mix, but if it comes with empty channels in the rears and center, it's a BAD 5.1 MIX.

18. boggs

In such a manner as to achieve a desired result......

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So if the desired result is to make minimal use of the rears because it isn’t artistically needed or appropriate...then that would be effectively using the rear channels, no? Or are you defining effective as acheiving “your” desired result?

With a properly set-up 5.1 system, even modest use of the rears can dramatically and realistically widen the soundstage and improve perception of the music being played in real time in a real place.

Not everything benefits from putting a bunch of stuff in the rears just because you can. Many things in fact.

20. boggs

I'm gonna assume you loved the Sgt Pepper 5.1 and the Beatles 1 5.1.

21. boggs

Just don't use the rears at all then, if thats the desired effect.

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I read that a few tracks from pepper 5.1 are wonderful and beautifully done. It's just not every song, no?

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Not particularly. Pepper was mostly a wasted opportunity IMO but I wouldn't call it 3D stereo. It just wasn’t very good. I thought Love was much better as a 5.1 mix (although I don’t care much for the mashup concept as a music only experience).

I’m not opposed to heavy use of the rears when the music calls for it. But just to stick some percussion or background vocals there when it doesn’t need it is as pointless as not using them when it enhances the material.

24. Vandenville

How comes that every thread in this forum sooner or later ends up discussing The Beatles, no matter what the topic of the thread is... :rolleyes:

JonUrban and Chris DeVoe like this.
  25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Also there is always one guy who thinks his opinion is more valid than anyone else's although nobody agrees with him. Pretty damn funny!

Vandenville likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.