Is TiVO plus CableCARD right for me?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jh901, Apr 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I want to ditch Comcast (Xfinity?) cable.

Seeking info on a DVR capable TiVO (or other) to use for viewing and recording networks and cable channels. I think I'll need a CableCARD.

Could a few of you get me up to speed?

2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you ditch Comcast then the cable card is useless, isn't it? What service would you get the cable channels from if you drop Comcast?

If you just want to get over-the-air channels, you can buy DVRs that you hook up your own hard drive to that can schedule and record over-the-air channels.

3. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

The cable card is not usable without some sort of service, Comcast, Fios. If you want to ditch cable you'll need an over the air TIVO or similar to completely get rid of cable.

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

He'll need A). An over-the-air antenna (either indoor or outdoor), B). A DVR meant for over-the-air recording, and C). An external hard drive to hook up to the DVR so it has somewhere to store the recordings. All very affordable and a one-time purchase with no monthly fees. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  5. jh901

TiVO Q&A: To access all of your high-definition and digital cable channels, a small CableCARD decoder(s) must be inserted into the back of your TiVo HD, TiVo HD XL, or TiVo Premiere box. If you do not insert a CableCARD decoder into your TiVo box, it will still receive antenna and standard-definition analog cable channels, plus online features if your TiVo box is connected to the Internet.

6. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

If you aren't subscribed to a cable service you don't get any cable channels. You have to pay to access those thru a provider like Comcast.

The CableCARD is just an alternative way to access the digital cable channels without needing to use a Digital Cable Box.

If you drop Comcast you will lose all of your cable channels and having the CableCARD won't give you access to them for free.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    Malina likes this.
  7. tman53

The TIVO Roamio is their over the air dvr. I believe it includes 1TB of storage. $399.

8. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Yes, but doesn't it also require a monthly (yearly?) subscription? Other over-the-air DVRs don't.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Oh, goodie - a whole terrabyte of Judge Judy, Wheel of Fortune, NCIS clones and Hogans' Heroes on their sub-channels...

Cutting cable? You might consider splurging for MoviePass instead of a DVR...

junk likes this.
  10. tman53

Yes, it does.

11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Okay. I guess if it has enough good features that free DVRs don't it would be worth it, then. :)

12. jh901

I have a front projection home theater and 800 discs (Blu & UHD). Plus, I have Netlix physical disc and streaming.

I watch very little cable and it's either sports or news. Little of either, but if I want to see something then I want to be able to record it. If I have to pay a small fee to use a CableCARD, then that's ok.

Can I get the local stations and cable such as espn, etc? Is there a better way to "cut the cord"?

13. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

With an antenna you can get local channels. Any way you want to get ESPN (Roku, etc) would cost a subscription fee but it would be less than you're paying for cable.

14. jh901

Does Roku have DVR?

I thought I'd find some full blown cord cutting experts around here. Was hoping to bypass learning it all myself.

<Sigh>

Maybe Monday.....

15. Dillydipper

That's my conundrum, Josh - I never found a reason to "cut the cord", most of the best TV is more readily found on cable. My wife and I watch series programming, for the most part. No sports, no "reality" or live TV, only narrative. I guess because of that, I can't relate to your issue. To me, "basic expended' cable with a non-cable-company-owned DVR is the best deal going. Only better option: TWO DVR's!

I've suddenly found I'm watching maybe 3 shows on ABC, ONE on CBS, 5 on NBC (along with the occasional local weather perspective perhaps 5 times a year), four on Fox, 5 on the CW, none on PBS...and, an over-the-limit-for-healthy amount of scripted shows over the cable spectrum. PLUS a news channel playing in the background most of the day, and if I still need more...one of those "lists-of-servers" sites online gets me Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and many other shows for the adequately-priced sum of...nada (plus VPN expenses, which benefit my personal sanity anyway).

Cable is more expensive these days, as are bundled services (which, however, you can dicker down). But in my case, worth every penny.

Sorry if this can be considered a thread crap.

jh901 likes this.
  16. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

jh901 likes this.
  17. Dillydipper

I bet this can't help you, but I do know ONE expert who has figured out how to get the full package of cable services without paying a dime, or the cable company even knowing he's plugged-in. But:
    1) He's in Canada,
    2) He's a genius working in a highly-specialized radio engineering software firm full of other geniuses, and
    3) He wouldn't be there if he hadn't already had more learning under his fingernail than most people find mucus

That's not cutting the cord, so much as tantalizingly massaging it to a hardened state of seduced, covert acquiesence...!

18. jh901

BUMP

Anyone?!

19. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

What do you want to know? There are options to get local channels and ESPN but you'll have to pay a monthly fee to someone for ESPN access.

20. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Might want to look at something like DIRECTV NOW. $35/month, no commitments. Cloud DVR feature coming soon, or you can sign up for the beta.

Alan G. likes this.
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Is ESPN available on that? I can't tell.

22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

23. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Awesome! Yeah, that seems like a really good option for him, then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.