Is vinyl a PITA?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Schoolmaster Bones, May 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer Thread Starter

I think some folks just want vinyl to be a difficult process. Otherwise, what's the point - right?

If you're using
    [​IMG]
    then, vinyl is a PITA

If you're using
    [​IMG]
    No problemo.

Analogman likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

[​IMG]

3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I will gladly take the pain in this scenario.

Blender, nm_west, JorgeGvb and 2 others like this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Bookshelves are a PITA.

JorgeGvb likes this.
  6. Schoolmaster Bones

So glad that's been settled.

dkmonroe likes this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

This is probably my biggest gripe.

8. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

I used to find new CD's a major PITA: that is, getting the shrink wrap and stupid taped case open. Perhaps I'm not very dexterous, but I found it ridiculous to have to go through that to get at my new shiny disk. I haven't noticed this with recent CD purchases though.

As for vinyl, it's a pain if you ever have to move a lot of records (they weigh a ton), but playing them is one of life's great pleasures.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

I can attest to not having a party and waking up with a hangover and 20 records sitting out waiting to be filed away.

More times than I care to remember...

Blender, nbakid2000, dkmonroe and 2 others like this.
  10. Raylinds

Are we talking about vinyl or 50 shades of gray?

Gaslight, nbakid2000, Muzyck and 3 others like this.
  11. Raylinds

It's all a matter of perspective and not just whether you like vinyl. I admit there is more activity involved with vinyl, but whether you consider that "effort", "work", or "PITA" is up to each individual. Some people love all aspects of the extra activity and consider it a ritual and make it part of the listening experience- it involves them more in the listening experience. Heck, I would say it also varies with some individuals depending on their mood (I know it does for me).

Some people just want to get straight to the music and can't be bothered. I get it- digital is for you. There are some nights I come home wiped out and just want to pour a drink, sit back and listen (though it is not often), and appreciate my digital rig during those times (though I will usually opt for watching TV at those times as it requires less mental effort).

For the most part, I like the activites that go along with vinyl, but I am not the biggest fan of record cleaning, but not enough to keep me from doing it. I honestly enjoy TT setup and fussing with trying to tweak everything for a tiny ounce of improvement, but only if I am in the mood for that and have the time. I have no issues with getting up every 20 minutes to flip sides, but I can see why some might not want to bother. There are times, however, when I will avoid playing my 45s because I'm feeling lazy.

I don't get ehy this needs to be a debate- however you feel about it is just as valid as the way I do. Thank goodness for options and choices.

Johnny Vinyl and Dennis0675 like this.
  12. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

13. A royal pain in the keister----yes much of the time it is a bit more tedious than just loading a CD. Worth the trouble---Hell yes!!!

Dennis0675 and Rolltide like this.
  14. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

My last TT was setup by the dealer. I put the TT on the rack plugged it in and it played great. I used to set my own TT, but now with a very expensive TT and cartridge, I will have it setup by a professional. Still, there are some the enjoy doing the setup. Just like the guys that like to work on the car or house.

dkmonroe likes this.
  15. Rolltide

Rolltide Forum Resident

Sure, I don't attempt to mess with my VPI either, that's the dealer's job. The point I tried and failed to make amidst the "but I like vinyl!" posts is that nobody asks their dealer to set up their CD player for them, because there's nothing that needs to be done in the first place. Whether or not a person feels annoyed when they get up to flip the record isn't what is being measured IMO - its that its having to happen at all. Maybe I'm just approaching the question differently.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The answer to your point is that for those who really don't want to go through the hassle of doing their own set up, they do not have to. There are alternatives. Those who like to buy a table and then buy a cart and then setup the thing themselves and tweak it to death can do that, and those that don't can get a table like I have that doesn't require it. Many possible PITA aspects of vinyl are avoidable if one really wishes to avoid them.

I mentioned flipping records because I have read many, many posts over the years where people stated this as a serious PITA that impacts their ability to enjoy vinyl.

17. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I get it. TT's have to be set up and cd players don't unless you have to import new firmware and some of the laser drives don't read every thing which becomes a big PITA. I've got a great SACD/CD player if I don't feel like playing vinyl.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Why is the VPI Classic a PITA and not the dual? They both need setup.

19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This is funny.:laughup: Cheapo record racks in action. Sure spend tens of thousand in vinyl and put them in a couple hundred dollar rack. Check out the TT OUCH!

Dennis0675 and nm_west like this.
  20. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

That was setup incorrectly. The full size shelves should be horizontal, not vertical

Dennis0675 and Tullman like this.
  21. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

That's the part I find funny.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Analogman

Yeah, it's hilarious
    Real funny
    About as funny as when a UPS man drops a box and breaks what's inside (surprise surprise)
    But that's a little different; things don't get REALLY REALLY FUNNY with that one until reading the resulting 142 page whine-fest all about it
    Bad stuff happening to people is just the funniest toad until it happens to you
    Life's funny that way, huh?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2015
    druboogie likes this.
  23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I get to laugh because plenty of prunes has happened to me. Besides, those racks are POS. Why would someone put a ton of vinyl in one of those? It looks funny.

24. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I know i enjoy a nice lecture from a stranger on the internet for calling something funny. Seems like a perfectly appropriate response.

The point being that vinyl creates storage challanges. I've pushed the limits myself out of necessity. When you run out of space and keep buying, the pain in the ass gets pretty accute.

25. Analogman

Well, since you put it that way then I guess that makes it all "OK" then

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.