Is Woody Allen a Spent Force Creatively?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jefhart, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

I've been a huge Woody Allen fan since Bananas. Many of his films are among my all time favorites, i.e. Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah & Her Sisters, Crimes & Misdemeanors. I haven't seen his latest, can't even remember the title. After the horrendous Hollywood Ending last year I'm pretty much giving up on him. Curse of the Jade Scorpion wasn't much better, not to mention such previous bombs as Celebrity and Bullets Over Broadway (did like Small Time Crooks, though). I really hope that he has another great film in him, but it's beginning to look like it's not gonna happen. Very dissapointing. I really wish he would just retire. He has a long list of amazing films behind him, and his recent efforts are doing his reputation no good. Any opinions, theories, disagreements on Woody's decline as a creative movie making force?

Jeff

2. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Jeff: I'm a big fan of his, too, and I gave up quite a while before you did. I think his initial output was so seminal that even a decent film would pale by comparison. I've read some good reviews of the most recent one, but haven't gone out to see one of his movies in a very long time.

3. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Yeah, I'm also a big fan of Woody- "Stardust Memories" made a huge impact on me growing up. Unfortunately, I think that this modern world has him at a loss.

I went to see "Anything Else" and it is the most depressing film I have seen in a long time. Maybe it wouldn't be for a non-Woody fan, but anyone who knows his films will find it so sad. It seems Woody is REALLY depressed about life and these times. It is the total anti-"Annie Hall". There are several scenes that harken back to that film- but this time it's strained and joyless. You know things are really bad in Woody's head when the main character leaves New York to go to California and it's supposed to be a good thing. To leave beloved New York is the ultimate sin in the Woody universe.

I'm sure he's going to keep making movies, but this film (if it were to be his last) would actually make sense, in a very ironic kind of way. There's not much hope left in the Woodman's world.

James

4. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

that's a good point. It seems that his "depression" before was theatrically-driven, the so-called "Jewish angst" that he so brilliantly played and parodied, sometimes at the same time. Now, he does seem like just another "whoa is the world" artist.

5. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks for the mini-review James. Now I know I definitely won't see this one. It really is a shame, but I think he is really locked in his little bubble now and doesn't have a clue how to tap into the zeitgeist as he did so effectively in the 70's and 80's. Well, he's made more great movies in his life than most directors, so I guess we should enjoy what we've got and hope Woody someday makes a dignified exit from movie making sometime in the not too distant future.

Jeff

6. Ted Bell

Ted Bell Forum Dentist

Put a fork in him, he's done...

I saw Bananas at least 7 times in the theaters when I was a teen (this was the days where you can stay in the theater between showings if you weren't caught and catch the next show) and I idolized Woody. It's been a while since I enjoyed any of his later films.

7. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

I think Broadway Danny Rose was the last one I truly enjoyed ... and that was quite a while ago, now that I think about it.

I still think Love and Death is one of the funniest movies I'll ever hope to see. he may be zapped, but he had a helluva run.

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

It's also a bit sad that his movies don't receive much attention any more. He releases so many and nobody cares.

I've read mostly bad stuff about the new one. I almost went to see it (Christina Ricci :) ), but maybe I'll watch on DVD or something.

Yeah, he's done. Actually, given how limited his schtick was, I'm surprised he managed to make so many good films.

9. Woody Allen may not be a spent force creatively, but I bailed out over 10 years ago from watching his films.

I saw:
    Hannah (1986)
    Radio Days and September (1987)
    Another Woman (1988)
    New York Stories and Crimes (1989)
    Alice (1990)
    skipped:
    Shadows And Fog (1992)

Then my older brother (still a big fan today) dragged me to in the indie theatre in Edmonton to see Husbands And Wives (1992). That was the last straw. Did not like the film at all. Since then I've had no interest. I tried on three different occasions over the years to rent first, the video and more recently the DVD for Bullets Over Broadway but after a few minutes each time I got distracted and turned off the movie. Guess it wasn't holding my interest.

10. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Stardust Memories is one of the sourest films I've ever seen, and in retrospect Manhattan was the beginning of the slide. I have an adopted son and saw his film about an adoptive parent. Total embarrassment. He should have been ashamed of himself, and so should everyone who worked on and appeared in it. Do I remember correctly that Sorvino was either nominated or actually got an academy award for that one? A travesty if she did. Actually, I did kind of like his contribution to New York Stories. Sad. And I don't even hold his bizarre personal life against him.

11. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

In one word: Yes.

Evan

12. Tim Casey

Tim Casey Active Member

Just to stoke the fire on this thread, I have to say that my family and I have watched "Jade Scorpion", "Hollywood Ending" and "Small Time Crooks" a number of times and have laughed hysterically at every viewing. And we loved "Shadows and Fog".

Maybe he's not a cutting-edge genius anymore, but he's a very competent director, and his movies are very simple and funny and a lot easier to take than the standard hollywood fare nowadays.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

absolutely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.