Is your King Crimson collection complete?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

Ask me on Sunday, after I've seen them in Manchester and Liverpool this weekend.

JohnCarter17 likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Sorry I was lazy and didn't read your OP.
    If you love the band it is more a matter of how much you want ..... And I don't Know what you have.
    I highly recommend the anniversary 5.1 sets.
    I have and enjoy
    I am waiting for
    I'm not super bothered by much else that they have, but I'm not a completist, I'm a 5.1 fan who likes the band

dlokazip, Acoustic Warrior and Airbus like this.
  3. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

4. Airbus

Airbus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Diversity vs. Repetion

5. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i have all the studio albums up to Red in various configuration.
    i was never a fan of Adrian Belew years so that's where i drew the line for the past 30 years or so.
    however... after getting (& thoroughly impressed by) the new Mexico city Live set on a whim recently, i may have to widen my line by big margin :shh:

6. David-Shea

David-Shea Toastmaster General

I have all the Studio albums from Court to Red, and Three of a Perfect Pair. I only have USA for live work. I plan on getting Beat and Discipline to finish off my collection and call it a day with King Crimson.

7. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

It's only important if you think it is. If you like them, you'll buy more - it's pretty simple. The first album of a Crimson era usually leaves you wanting (or not) the next albums. So if you like ITCOTCK, you'll probably like In The Wake Of Poseidon and Lizard. If you like Larks Tongues In Aspic then you'll like Starless and Bible Black and Red, etc. I have far more Crimson than the 28 studio and live albums so yeah, my collection is complete and then some.

Chew likes this.
  8. golobali

golobali Forum Resident

- 2 x In The Court Of The Crimson King
    - In The Wake Of Poseidon
    - Lizard
    - Islands
    - Larks' Tongues In Aspic
    - 2 x Red
    - Starless And Bible Black
    - USA
    - 2 x Discipline
    - Beat
    - Live At The Orpheum

+ pre-orderered 1969-1972/1972-1974 boxsets

+ Jakszyk, Fripp And Collins - A Scarcity Of Miracles (A King Crimson ProjeKct)

but I hope to sell my non-Discipline Global Mobile editions of ITCOCK, Red, Discipline

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

10. I’m not quite a completist, but I have all studio LPs from Court to Red as well as USA. I also have the Court box, Sailors Tales, Starless and Road to Red boxes. The boxes get lots of time from me with Starless being my favorite.

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

I have all KC albums up to Three Of A Perfect Pair, I lost interest in them from Beat/Perfect (not a reflection on the quality of the music, more my shifting taste). I've never been a huge fan of In the Court of... (unlike many here).

However, KC can't be seen in isolation. Early KC was collaborative, and Fripp as an artist was prolific. So every KC collection needs more than just KC albums...

I've also got the "companion" albums, worthwhile if you are into early KC:
    - The Cheerful Insanity of Giles, Giles and Fripp (interesting, but very different to KC)
    - Pete Sinfield - Still
    - McDonald and Giles

Don't forget Fripp's solo albums, which are essential:
    - Exposure
    - God Save the Queen/Under Heavy Manners

- Let the Power Fall

The Fripp/Eno collaborative albums are very worthwhile.
    Not underestimating the considerable contributions Fripp made putting his unique mark on many other artist's albums.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    Thelonious_Cube and deredordica like this.
  12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I’m still working on my collection but I have a lot and haven’t regretted a single item yet.

13. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Never! There's always room in my collection for more King Crimson. I have all of their studio albums and even if they don't make another, I'll keep snagging KC live releases until I'm in the cold, dead ground. That's where the real intrigue is for me with these guys.

NJ Englishman and Mr. H like this.
  14. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

My collection is as complete as I think it needs to be. My only box purchase was the "THRAK Box" I have most every download that I am interested in. I have a bunch of paraphernalia that I think is cool. I am happy that they have made SO many recordings available so that us uber fans can pick and choose what we want to purchase.

15. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I have all studio albums prior to Red, as well as Radical Action, which hasn't quite grown on me yet. I plan to get Red soon and leave it at that.

16. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

It's complete. I have Red, Discipline, Larks, Court, and Beat. All I need. The other stuff are bonus tracks. Don't need those.

17. I’m a 1969 KC completist, which keeps it pretty contained.

18. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

It’s complete in terms of owning all of their major live albums (incl. many of those King Crimson Club releases) and all of their studio albums. I wouldn’t say it’s truly complete in the sense that I don’t own any of those large box sets that have come out in more recent years like The Road to Red or On (and off) The Road for example.

19. progmog

progmog Senior Member

Yes. Mine starts at 'In The Court of the Crimson King', and stops at 'Thrak'. That's all the Crimson that I need.

20. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

It is for now.

21. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

If you don't like what you haven't as or more than what you have already, totally unimportant.

22. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

King Crimson veer close to jazz in that every performance is different. So if you love the band you will not be disappointed by getting additional releases. On the other hand, if you are more of a casual fan then just a few albums/concerts will be all you want. Not a question others can answer for you unfortunately!

Tim

Tristero likes this.
  23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

Everything up to Red. That’s all the King Crimson I need.

24. I have all of the studio albums, the 2 studio EPs and most live albums (the ones I'm misssing are from the Collector's Club series or from the 2000-2003 line up), all the big boxes except THRAK and Larks Tongues. More than I'll ever be able to listen to.

25. jcarr73729

jcarr73729 Forum Resident

If you were to list all the releases of the standard studio albums and live albums, the numerous boxed sets and tour boxes, collectors club, and website downloads of full concerts and studio outtakes for King Crimson it would be an extremely long list. Nothing else in my collection comes remotely close to the vast number of options I have whenever I think I want to play some King Crimson. I grew tired of audience recordings of live concerts years ago, and I see no reason to add to an already bloated collection by adding the ones that DGM tart-up, so I think I could say with confidence that I probably have everything that has been officially released, except those audience recordings. This has been, and continues to be, an expensive journey since I first heard 'Red' and 'USA' as a young teenager back in the mid-1970's, but I draw great enjoyment from the music, so the cost has been great value for this listener.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.