Is your King Crimson collection complete?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Airbus, Nov 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

Does ANYONE own everything that has been officially available by King Crimson including all the Club CDs, box sets etc? That is a LOT of material.

TFEC likes this.
  2. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I have more than I need, not as many as I want.

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Possibly the best documented (in terms of quality audio) of any major and long-lasting act?

This has an immediate benefit, in that when Fripp asks the audience to put away their mobile phones at the start of the concert, everyone knows there is actually no point in making little videos of the band because the official releases are so abundant. So they tend to do what they are told.

Tim

4. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I forgot to add Discipline on vinyl which I bought in the 80's. I never listen to it though, but then I avoid listening to almost anything I bought in the 80's. :D

5. moops

moops Senior Member

I can't really keep up, but I do plan on picking up a couple more soon.
    I don't own any of the big box sets.
    The Discipline era is what got me into KC so most of my live stuff seems to lean toward recordings with Adrian in the band ....... I plan to balance that out a bit more though when funds permit and I can do a bit of research.
    So far I have .....

Expanded 2 disc sets ;

In The Court Of The Crimson King
    Larks Tongues In Aspic
    Starless and Bible Black
    USA
    Red
    Discipline
    Beat
    Three Of A Perfect Pair

Standard CD ;

The Construction Of Light
    The Power To Believe

Live CD ;

The Great Deceiver
    Collector's King Crimson Vol 2
    Collector's King Crimson Vol 3
    Absent Lovers
    Live At The Pier 1982
    Live At The Wiltern 1995
    Live In New Haven 2003
    B'Boom
    Vroom Vroom
    Live In Toronto
    Radical Action
    Meltdown

Fastnbulbous likes this.
  6. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Found a used copy of `Live At The Jazz Cafe' from ProjeKct One recently. Never thought
    I'd find that one. And I'm waiting on my copy of `Meltdown In Mexico'. I've got more than
    enough Crimso, thanks.

7. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Yes. Yes it is.

Frankh likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I only have In The Court Of The Crimson King (2004 HDCD and CD/DVD-A), In The Wake Of Poseidon (CD/DVD-A) and Epitaph (Volume 3+4).
    Since years I plan to get Lizard and Islands on CD/DVD-A. But hmm... my wishlist is too big.

9. TFEC

TFEC Opinion Holder

Well ... yes.

10. ytserush

ytserush Forum Resident

I wish......

11. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

12. Cheevyjames

Cheevyjames Forum Resident

I'm a huge Crimson fan and pretty hard core in my collecting. I have nearly everything - studio, live, collector's club, boxes. Only missing Meltdown, Live in Vienna & the Sailor's Tale box. Also I don't have some of the "concise" or "21st century guide" boxes from 10 years ago or whenever that was, but those aren't necessary. They have a daunting catalog, but if you focus on the studio albums & major live albums you can then figure out how far down in the rabbit hole you want to go based on how much you enjoy a certain lineup. There are very few things of Crimson's I don't enjoy. Nearly all of it, esp. the current lineup, is excellent.

13. Jachay

Jachay Forum Resident

Instead of Road To Red, I purchased the Larks box. Will be the first box in my Crimson collection. Look forward to taking it in this weekend

Thelonious_Cube likes this.
  14. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Not counting compilations/greatest hits sets, I have everything except the most recent Tour Box and the recent super-expensive Japanese live discs from WOWOW. There's also a members-only 4CD live set that recently came out, but I'm not 100% certain what percentage of that is unique and what percentage (maybe all?) is duplicated on releases I already own.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Would be interested in your thoughts. The first disc is a live performance, and very sub-par. Yet I've spun that one many times, it just has that feel to it. Can't defend it on sound-quality at all - but it's a perfect example how "warts and all" can be rewarding.

16. Jachay

Jachay Forum Resident

Indeed. I think just one of the recordings are taken from soundboard? I'm ok with that. I'm curious to hear how/if the songs evolve throughout the discs.

17. Pim

Pim Forum Resident

I've got the members-only set via a fan who did the VIP ticket but didn't care about the CD. Paid 50 euros for it. Well worth it. I believe it contains a lot of the tracks which were offered as free downloads from the 2014-2017 tours. Don't think there is much duplication with the other KC8/9 releases.

Thelonious_Cube and 93curr like this.
  18. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

Does any fellow KCrim head need a sealed copy of the 2 x 10" vinyl of the 2018 "Uncertain Times" ? .. I have an extra copy.

U.S. only at this time.. (No PM's please, just like the post).
    If yes... Go here: page-134 and find the post, and I'll pick a winner.

Merry Christmas!

19. btbaggers

btbaggers Member

Court, Larks, Red, Starless are staples in any Proggers permanent collection for sure - no kidding. But I play Discipline as much as those 4 - and I still spin Beat and Three/Pair frequently. Thrak was tough for me to really get into - and I've never liked Lizard (sorry Lizard fans!) Bottom Line: There are 4 artists that demand a fan at least listens to every one of their releases: Beatles, John Coltrane, Frank Zappa....and KC!!!! (IMHO of course!)

Geordiepete likes this.
  20. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Yes, I own their first seven studio albums.

21. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident

Ok so you got off to a slow start.
    Don't get down on yourself.
    Get out that credit card and try to make a dent in that discography.

deredordica and Maranatha5585 like this.
  22. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

How could you forget The League Of Gentlemen?!

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Having bought the Meltdown bluray, I'm going to say it is essential. Really good.

24. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Not that important to me. I have a bunch and I'm satisfied. Lord, I've got enough versions of Easy Money that's for sure!

mark winstanley likes this.
  25. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

A very good question! It is worthy of inclusion.

dlokazip likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.