Is Your Onkyo C-7030 misbehaving ?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MrTim, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrTim

MrTim Forum Resident Thread Starter

My Onkyo C-7030 a few weeks ago seemed to get very sensitive to foot falls near it and a couple days ago started to miss track. This unit is only 6 months old and I thought oh great a defective laser. I contacted Amazon who I purchased it from and was informed there return policy is inflexible, 30 days and it's not our problem any more which was predictable. I have dealt with warranty repair shops before and not in a positive way so what the hey I'll check it out myself. Turns out there was some grease on part of the laser lens and any dust that made it into the unit stuck to it turning it into a mini Chia Pet. I cleaned off the grease with a cotton bud and alcohol and now all is well again, as a test I hopped up in down on the floor and it did not skip once. If someone is having any similar issue's you may want to check for dust and grease that is not where it should be. I cleaned more grease off parts that it should not have been on mostly just surrounding plastic surfaces. I hope this helps someone having similar issues.

Doug_B, c-eling, jriems and 1 other person like this.
  2. Analogman

Analogman Well-Known Member

Nice job
    Glad to hear this; I have one (my Son's actually) bought new two Christmas's back, only got a few afternoons play on it and has been sitting since; he's been gone with the Service, so don't know if it's going to be a problem child or not
    One of the best posts (actually useful) I've read in a while
    Thank you for the heads up

3. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I found an excess weight such as another audio unit on top of it causes skipping. I've played mine a lot, and no issues other than removing my cassette deck off it's top to stop the skipping.

Been running mine with a Teac UD H 01 DAC. Very nice sound indeed.

4. MrTim

Nothing on top of my unit just a victim of mass production. A external DAC may be in it's future but it sounds darn good with just the analog outputs.

5. cjc

cjc Senior Member

I bought the Teac CD-P650 instead of the Onkyo or Marantz models that were similarly priced, and couldn't be happier. Sorry to hear about the Onkyo problems.

6. townsend

townsend Senior Member

No mean to thread crap, but I bought that CD player to and like it. I esp. like the fact it has a headphone jack and volume control, so I use it not hooked up to my main system for headphone listening.

cjc and Ntotrar like this.
  7. MrTim

When I use headphones I do the same thing, I just plug into the cdp and it sounds great. I really like the Onkyo and have read a couple post about being sensitive to foot falls. I figure if this has happened to mine there may be a few more out there suffering from careless application of grease on the laser assembly.

8. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Mine is going in and out, loud static, one channel on and off. It is in my work shop system, not stacked up. Luckily I have a spare Rega Apollo. Wow, that sounds better too. I don't have time to work on it so I guess it will sit unused for a year.

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

After taking the extra weight off the top of my 7030 it is still playing perfect and sounds great with the Teac UD-H01 DAC. I've got a lot of hours on the Onkyo now as it is in my man cave system where I spend a lot of my time.

Yes, my main rig digital setup still sounds better, ( Pioneer Elite PD-S95 transport & Musical Fidelity late model M1 DAC) but considering the huge MSRP price difference this lower price set up kicks butt. The PDS 95 was a $3,000 transport back in its day, overbuilt ( 40 pounds) and perhaps not up to date with best modern units, but it is amazing nonetheless.

Review- http://www.audioasylum.com/reviews/CD-Player-Recorder/Pioneer-Elite/PD-S95/digital/95199.html

10. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member

Strange thing happened today with my 7030. I was playing track 10 on a cd and there was no sound. All the tracks before track 10 had sound. The 7030 was playing the song because the timer was running normally. Just no sound. I stopped the player and played the track again and there was sound. I hope this isn't the beginning of the end.

11. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Mine's been on 24/7 for over 2 years now with no issues. Fingers crossed.

12. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

It would be interesting to directly compare the sound of your TEAC with the Onkyo and see which sounds better. I know I used to own the Onkyo DX-7555 which I think I bought new for $400. A few years later I bought the TEAC PD-H600 for $700 and felt that it was a worthy upgrade and had better sound than the Onkyo. Finally last year I decided I wanted SACD capability so I traded in the Onkyo towards a Marantz SA8005 and kept the TEAC for my headphone system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.