Isn't it high time iTunes supported FLAC?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Sep 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

I don't understand this. FLAC and ALAC are both lossless, no compression on the music at all.

2. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'll believe it when I see it

iPhones support FLAC playback with third-party apps but iTunes never has and probably never will

3. There is compression on both FLAC and ALAC files, but with no degradation in sound quality as a result of it. AIFF is completely uncompressed, so the file sizes are much bigger. He's referring to not needing to worry about the extra space that AIFF files take up.

Nostaljack likes this.
  4. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

That's why I was careful to word my post to say there's no compression on the music :)

The file size is compressed, but the music is still completely lossless.

5. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I followed the instructions using my Iphone 6s. Couldn't get the FLAC to play.

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

If you need FLAC, don't use iTunes and get a third-party player for your device. There are plenty to choose from

Stone Turntable and acemachine26 like this.
  7. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

I'm guessing I won't be able to play FLACs in my car from my phone unless they are supported by iTunes.

8. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

If you're using an iPhone they that would be a no. That said, if you're using an Android phone like I do you could run PowerAmp music player which not only has a great interface but also supports FLAC ;)

9. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Any recommendations? I use a Mac btw.

10. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

I recently moved from iTunes to JRiver. I run windows machines but JRiver does have a version for Mac. Some say JR is complicated, and it is as compared to iTunes. That said, I'm enjoying learning how to use it and fully utilize it. It's added another dimension to my audio hobby for me. YMMV :)

RolandG likes this.
  11. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I don't use Mac OS (except for work) but for iOS there is a free version of the foobar2000 app

12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Storage is still an issue to me. I have about 5 terabytes (not all physical media even converted). Trying to mirror that, and find a decent NAS server...I’m running into space issues...

klockwerk likes this.
  13. Tom34772

Tom34772 Forum Resident

It's not hard to convert FLAC to ALAC... and it plays flawlessly... and it sounds awesome!

[​IMG]

14. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

apart from file sizes, there is zero difference. and on Apple's ridiculously storage-constrained devices, I'll opt for the smaller file size every time.

and to answer the original question: yes, but so long as Apple clings to m4a, I'm guessing we won't see FLAC support within iTunes.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    klockwerk likes this.
  15. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

Apple Lossless is plenty for me. I never really got into FLAC but I do have a converter for when I find something that’s only FLAC.

Ed

16. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

My ALAC collection is capped at 48 Hz so it will play on my iphone. File size is reduced too - TAAB Part 1 is 276.5 MB. Hard drive space isn't an issue, but my phone only has a measly 256 GB.

17. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I completely understand, and never said anything about "music compression". I just don't see the point of an extra stage - file compression, file expansion. A personal decision I made to rip all my CDs to AIFF. I was under 1TB (~1300 CDs).

18. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

Pure Music is another Mac based program that interlocks with iTunes, using its library function. I use both it and JRiver.

GroovyGuy likes this.
  19. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

For one thing, metadata tagging is more elegant in FLAC. You can if you wish add a whole range of tags to FLAC containing lyrics, artwork, and a fingerprint checksum on each file confirming their integrity as an extra layer of error correction — which will work on all platforms

... except iTunes

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm more interested in buying lossless audio from the iTunes store, if they ever offer something like this.

Nostaljack and Jimmy B. like this.
  21. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I don't want mp3 downloads, I want physical media (CDs), but if I can't have that I wish iTunes - and Amazon - would offer FLAC files.
    I would buy them then.
    I've never bought a single thing from iTunes, and I never will unless they offer lossless (and Amazon still doesn't).
    (If the companies knew that there might be a profit in it for them, they would change their tune - but this is too small maybe for them to care, I guess...or seems to small, unfortunately)

acemachine26 likes this.
  22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Yowza. Something else I never needed. I don't need much and iTunes supplied sufficient tagging with AIFF.

Nostaljack likes this.
  23. Nostaljack

Nostaljack Resident R&B enthusiast

The tagging is also supported in the far smaller ALAC as well. No real need to keep anything in AIFF in iTunes.

Ed

24. stodgers

stodgers Forum Resident

I've never used iTunes. Ever. As a PC user, it is just a memory hog and a burden to the system. I went from MusicMatch to WMP to Zune (yes, it was actually quite good) to now foobar. foobar reminds me a great deal of the original MusicMatch and I love it.

The bottom line is: if you are waiting for a company whose technology has lagged the market for 5+ years to come around to your way of thinking, it is too late.

Chris DeVoe and beasandpeans like this.
  25. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Couldn't help noticing your avatar. Fan of the Death Note series I presume?

BlueGangsta likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.