ISO: Headphone Advice

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by flashpapr, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flashpapr

flashpapr Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello, longtime reader and a few time poster around these parts, but I've finally cracked. See, I've had this pair of Sony MDR-XD200's for a few years now, they were bought for me by an ex when an old pair broke, not that this is relevant... Anyhow, as my collection grows I find these headphones just aren't very good. They seem to have a lot of high end and they make creaking sounds when my head moves and aren't very comfortable on the glasses I wear. I searched many headphone threads on here and everyone seems to love their Senns, however the models I see in store here and look up on here people say are garbage. So, I get the impression if I want to go the Senns route I'll need to shell out a couple hundred bucks for a good pair, otherwise don't bother. That really isn't in the budget right now. I was mulling over a pair of Koss 4AAT's ($99) and 3AAT's ($69) at a local Best Buy, but really had no idea what to do. Any help or suggestions would be welcome.

OH! Also I happened to come across a vintage pair of Phillps SBC 3150 in a friend's move that I snagged, but to even try them out I'd need to buy an adapter for the large input that they have, which would only cost me like 5 bucks... would that be a viable alternative? Sorry for all this mess. Buying headphones is a messy proposition.

2. toddbooster

toddbooster Forum Resident

Although I don't know your tastes, I'm going to suggest that in that price range you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least listen to a pair of Grado SR60e headphones; personally, I don't think you can do better for under $100. However, I can't comment as to their comfort when wearing glasses.

flashpapr and razerx like this.
  3. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

Grado. Look at SR60i. If you can budget a little higher then go for SR125i.

flashpapr likes this.
  4. flashpapr

Thanks for the reply, I'm in Toronto as well. I looked into the Grado SR60e online and they look like they would fit the bill nicely. After some searching for a retailer here in the GTA I've only come across Bay Bloor Radio, it says online they have them in stock for $99.95 CDN. Do you know of any rival retailers around here, or is Bay Bloor pretty much the only game in town? Thanks again.

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

No idea who you've been talking to, but you can get the Sennheiser 558s or 598s for less than 200 bucks and they sound amazing.

6. toddbooster

toddbooster Forum Resident

Planet of Sound carries them too.

7. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

If you do need to get an adapter get the Hosa MHE-100.5
    http://hosatech.com/product/mhe-100-5/
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHE100.5
    http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000068O6B/

That sort of adapter needs to have a short length of cable between the mini plug and the big 1/4 female plug. The all in one style adapters (like this: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EVY1MRQ/) create too much leverage on the little 1/8" jack and you'll end up destroying the jack in your phone/laptop/computer if you use that sort of adapter.

8. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I've got over a dozen pairs of cans (call it a sickness), and I have to say, of all of them, the 598s are the absolute best value I've come across. Fantastic sounding cans, great quality, at a really good price.

gloomrider and nbakid2000 like this.
  9. flashpapr

Wanted to check back in and say that I ended up picking up a pair of Grado SR60i's that a audio shop here in Etobicoke had in stock. Was a random find because I know that the i's are old stock and so did he so he sold them for 80 bucks instead of the 99 bucks Bay Bloor downtown wants for the e's. Anyway, I have had them for a few days now and I really love them, A/B'ing them with my old Sony headphones is like a night and day difference I didn't even know I was missing out on. The whole seperation between the instruments and the smooth top end instead of shrill distorted top end is amazing. Thank you so much for helping me by suggesting these Grados... LOVE 'EM!!!

LEONPROFF, Ham Sandwich and DiabloG like this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yup, at the very least. From your post it would not be innacurate to infer you listen through headphones only ? If that is the case, treat yourself to a nice upgrade. The Senns are indeed a great weapon of choice. Don't know about your age, music styles you favor or level of equipment but if you settle for a 100 bucks pair now you'd better start saving for something better. You will however find a nice pair within your current budget, but avoid the cheaper Senn line for they, as you've already got wind of, are garbage indeed.

And this is coming from a guy that loathes headphones, but reckon that a decent pair can provide (albeit never substitute the room-filling experience speakers produce) fantastic sound at a fraction of the cost of mediocre speakers.

Good luck and please continue sharing your experience with us.

11. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

In case you're interested in some backup cans in case something happens to the Grados, the Noontec Zoro HD's would do you well. I've had mine since July 2013 and they've been my go-to pair ever since. I've actually considered the SR60i's around the same time I bought the Zoro HD's, but I was turned-off by the comments about the comfort and build quality. I think I'll try some Grados soon. Whatever the case, congrats for finding some good-sounding headphones :thumbsup:

12. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

And this is how it starts. :D

Kyhl likes this.
  13. donunus

donunus Cheapskate Audiophile and Massive Music Lover

get L-Cush bowl pads for the SR60e or i and do the electrical tape mod and add a thin piece of felt in between the pads and the driver cover. Mine sounds beautiful.

14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Indeedy matey . Cheap headphones sound like cheap speakers.

15. Rockos

Rockos Forum Resident

For closed back, Audio Technica ATH-M50's are my favorite. Hell of a headphone and can be found for around $100.

FJFP likes this.
  16. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

If you can stretch it there's a pair of sennheiser 650 for 250 on agon. You would never be in need of another pair.

17. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

That's what I told myself when I got my HD650s. But that's actually when the madness started! Barely more than a year ago, I didn't have any headphones. Now I have four pair at very different price levels and for completely different applications.

18. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I second this. I swear by them.

Rockos likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.