Isolation platform advice for rega turntables.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Harrod, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

The classic Ikea coffee table favoured in the 80's was MDF, one dealer I knew gave one away with every deck they sold, one issue though was stability on any floor, which wasn't perfectly flat.

2. rockin_since_58

rockin_since_58 Forum Resident

33na3rd likes this.
  3. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

My experience with an RP6 and Gingko Cloud was much different than this. I experienced several sonic improvements after putting the Cloud under the turntable. Perhaps you don't really understand how it works because it's much the same as your recommendation of using a maple block and isolating it from the table, floor or rack.

4. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

5. 4xoddic

4xoddic Forum Resident

I jumped to the link, sure that Quadraspire had expressly used bamboo for the Soundstage. From the pic, it appears to be bamboo, but the description makes no mention. Quadraspire's bamboo rack shelves have received favorable reviews. I did find this on a dealer's site:

Quadraspire Soundstage Bamboo Isolation Platform

I'm in the process of making a rack using blocks from Sears Craftsman 8' X 4' bamboo work bench top => 24" X 24" X 1.5", 25 lbs @. (Here's a deal on the 6' version, couldn't find 8').

Andrew Harrod likes this.
  6. I think the Quadraspire is well worth a look. I have however great faith in Torliyte platforms. Really works for me

7. Saycheese78

Saycheese78 Member

U could be right. Time for me to re-inspect the cloud the next time i c one.

Also, sorry i forgot to add in a disclaimer i haven hear rega on cloud. But i did hear rega on different platforms. It is platform sensitive.

A shop placed a rega p1 on a wooden rack and demo carol kidd. No kidding, it easily trounce any turntable to 2k. Very warm. However something sound weird in the next 3 lp I tried. It was thin sounding. The shop had a p3 on another table. The sound was completely different.

I am not saying p1 is thin sounding, but rather it is very sensitive to platform.

8. Saycheese78

Saycheese78 Member

Different wood may provide different sound. The sound will change when u treat it. Try it, you may like it in your current system.

9. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Ikea bamboo butcher block. `15 bucks in the US. It's the bomb for Rega's.

10. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

I cant see how a P1 could trounce an RP6 or a clearaudio concept, in reference to the P1 trouncing a 2K table

11. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member Thread Starter

Ok. Update. I thought I'd try a cheap option suggested by some. I bought a bamboo chopping board. 45cm x 30cm from a U.K. Supermarket. £10. I've put some felt feet underneath for now. I must say it's helped quite a bit. It's tightened the sound up nicely. I will try a few other options as well.

BigGame likes this.
  12. try adding oak conned feet to the chopping board. I think you will be pleasantly surprised

BigGame likes this.
  13. Andrew Harrod

Andrew Harrod Member Thread Starter

Ok thanks for that.

14. available on ebay by the way. I use them under my TT and my Torlyte platform. Really tightens everything up IMO

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

16. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Just get a butcher's block cutting board. I've had many different isolation stands and platforms ranging from $200 to $600. A butcher's block was just as good for significantly cheaper. You can get a butcher's block anywhere from $10 to $50, depending on the thickness and width.

I see you said maple is hard to come by in England, how about bamboo? That will work too.

17. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Disregard my previous advice. I see you got a bamboo block. Congrats.

4xoddic likes this.
  18. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

My TT is on a ~175 lb granite block. Works quite well to isolate the TT from footfall and all other sorts of interference.

19. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

From what we have been told, it is going to made out of Bamboo.

4xoddic likes this.
  20. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

I have my RP6 sitting on a wood console table, probably particle board or some other cheap material as it wasn't very expensive. If I get a bamboo cutting board, should I sit that directly on the console table or should I put some of those Herbie's tender feet between the board and the table?

21. try oak coned feet. Brilliant

22. Pastafarian

I'd be thinking feet or what I've found beneficial with solid state components a layer of foam. I cut a camping roll mat into sections, placed under Bamboo, outlay £5. I'd certainly describe Bamboo as a wonder product, the inner tube approach, under the Bamboo, can also make a dramatic difference. With all these things it's try and see, especially as we're talking decks.

4xoddic likes this.
  23. MattG

MattG Unreliable Narrator

24. Best defense is a good offence. My experience with the Rega design is to always start with a non-volatile location. The further away from speakers or subs, the easier to tame unwanted resonance.

25. Pastafarian

My approach is confront the source of the energy going in to your floor, so speakers first. This means any further reductions you get are minimising, as much as possible, the energy getting to your equipment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.