Isolation platform advice for rega turntables.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Andrew Harrod, May 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

As soon as i get my new tv unit built i will do a comparison of sobothane vs inner tube.

I too have concerns over the inner tube, it just seems way too unstable but ive never tried it, surely every time you touch the table to cue the arm or run a brush over the record before playing you would be making the whole platform wobble.

Even the rotation of the platter may induce a wobble, although its an even weighted rotation so maybe not.

Another concern of inner tube is that turntables are not uniformly the same weight, so would one side tilt where its heavier?

I love the idea of inner tube and will try it but there seem to be a few draw backs.... possibly?

2. You share my concerns!!! Please try some oak coned feet too. I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised.

3. Marshall_SLX

Will do.... i am currently making a new entertainment unit that will have a 30mm Kwila (super hardwood) top where the TT will go so i am thinking of a light weight rigid plaform. I like the idea of a maple block aswell but that would be heavy, i keep going back to an aluminium frame like the wallshelf but cant decide what feet to put on it, the oak coned feet might be an answer.

4. Marshall_SLX

5. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yes, prolly need to fill out the profile section sometime. I'm using a Sony PS2251LA TT (sprung design) currently with ATOC9iii and Grace 707 arm. The granite underneath has taken my TT play from problematic at times to unaffected to outside influence. Granite supported by heavy wood table on a concrete surface, and low durometer rubber pads between granite and TT.

I have a high spl capable system which sometimes gets utilized. Some instances upward of 115 dB A weighted peaks, and any amount of dancing or footfalls to boot, all unaffecting playback.

Completely different design philosophy on the Sony vs Rega I understand for TT plinth, but what you place it on is another matter imo. In existing SH threads there are several reliable posters that have had good performance with Rega TT's supported by high mass support platforms.

It's really ok if we disagree on this. If you were nearby we could place your TT on my granite block and have a listen (easier than transporting granite to your casa), share a beer and have a listen!

6. Marshall_SLX

I think maybe the answer could be a lightweight rigid platform spiked to a heavy base for Rega... assuming a concrete floor... wooden floor might require more of a damping isolation method if you cant wall mount

7. swvahokie

swvahokie Forum Resident

Rega's get lighter as you spend more money. Mass is bad for Rega.

8. Marshall_SLX

I agree and since the wall shelf is the generally accepted best way of mounting the table the suggestion above is what i think is the most similar solution to a wall mount.

Wall mount - Lightweight rigid shelf coupled to a super heavy solid object (brick wall)

Table mount - Lightweight rigid platform coupled to a heavy hardwood entertainment unit or if your cabinet isnt heavyweight then lightweight rigid platform coupled to granite block or similar which is just mounted with rubber feet to the cabinet below.

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I did one myself years ago and worked miracles, but it was stolen as I left it in my car when I did a stop on the way to a friend's to test it on his TT. Do you know that when waves pass from one medium to another of different density they get difracted or even absorbed? My platform for a TT comprised (from top to bottom) of a thick sheet of granite (which I could get easily and cheaply, at the end, for free, in Northwestern Spain where I worked at the time), another sheet of cork, a sheet of thick methacrylate and at the bottom, a sheet of solid wood. All was put together without glue, three large/long screws ended in spike that passed by all the material and at the bottom locked everything with nuts on the screws that worked like feet, two on the front and one on the middle of the rear. Worked miracles.

4xoddic likes this.
  10. Marshall_SLX

Sounds interesting..... who steals something like that? seriously?

4xoddic likes this.
  11. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I use the same with great results.

Tim 2 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.