It has been (10) years since the last Rolling Stones album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Whatever works to get a new album is good for me.

2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think-at this point- it's a marketing strategy on the part of the Stones. As someone previously posted, they can make far more money by simply touring. Also-and this is just a gut feeling--maybe they don't think that a new album is what their fans really want. They're nothing if not observant, and I'm sure they've noticed through the years that when they play a "new" song in concert, many fans take that as a signal to go to the bathroom or get some refreshments. Also, I'm beginning to wonder if Keith Richards is even up to the task of writing new songs, although I don't doubt he's still to proud--stubborn?--to allow Mick to write with outsiders. Of course, is just conjecture on my part and it wouldn't surprise me if we're talking about a new album in a few months.

Finally, I think David Bowie's "comeback" The Next Day is a solid album and I do think it's a step up from Reality --which I also liked. As with Dylan, I'm not really expecting anything "groundbreaking" from Bowie at this point--just good quality work.

theMess likes this.
  3. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

I think the last thing the Stones would do if they were trying to get any sort of creative groove between the major players is invite anyone extra to bring their own issues. That's why they tried recording Bigger Bang with mainly just Mick and Keith, with Ronnie adding his parts as overdubs. Not saying they're right or wrong. Mick Taylor would probably also be an overdub situation. I suspect health willing the Stones will record more new material in some form. And of course Keith won't accept Mick writing with others. Probably not even with Ronnie.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  4. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

With the Stones, that's like 10 years of negotiations. :D

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Jack Flash

Jack Flash Forum Resident

That would be a great way for them to bow out. And, it would be perfect if it included Taylor & Wyman.

Dave Hoos and Emmett66 like this.
  6. jumpinjulian

jumpinjulian Forum Resident

They know their concert fans aren't really interested in new material.
    Mick and Keith don't seem to like working with each other on new songs (the 2 tracks on GRRR are basically solo cuts).
    They don't want to risk the possibility that a new album will stiff and tarnish their legacy- and in today's climate it's likely.

What us hardcore fans would love is a back to roots blues/country album with some new songs and choice covers! Even if it didn't sell that well it would probably gain great reviews and be a nice bookend to their career. (Like Dylan's later output)

Remy and serge like this.
  7. CupOfDreams

CupOfDreams Forum Resident

I'm a big Stones fan but have purged everything post "Tattoo You" from my collection. That said I always thought the Stones had at least one very good album left in them. But it needs to be stripped down and raw like Exile. It seemed like they were always to concerned about producing hits and they've had enough of those. Steel Wheels especially sounded desperate to me. Horribly slick production. Sterile. The Stones should be anything but sterile.

Dave Hoos and YouKnowEyeKnow like this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I think Steel Wheels gets a bad rap. True, it's a product of it's times but it's far better than Dirty Work and Voodoo Lounge- the albums which bookend it--and it features their last great lead-off single, " Mixed Emotions", and a pair of gorgeous ballads, Mick's "Almost Hear You Sigh", and Keith's "Slipping Away".

Fullbug, Zack and Turntable like this.
  9. CupOfDreams

Mixed Emotions is decent IMO but I really didn't care for the album and especially the production. I don't think Tattoo You is top tier Stones but it was the last Stones album I liked.

10. BrentNC

BrentNC Forum Resident

They just need one great new track. Don't worry about an album. Imagine how much traction a new Stones track that was as good as Gimme Shelter or Sympathy would get.

11. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

Keith and Steve Jordan wrote Almost Hear You Sigh. It's a Winos outtake.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think Voodoo Lounge was much better than Steel Wheels. The single b-sides from Voodoo Lounge were good as well.

Dave Hoos and RogerB like this.
  13. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Funny. " Slipping Away" sounds more like a Winos out-take. And it sounds like it could easily have been on Talk is Cheap....

14. botley

botley Forum Resident

That is a terrible description of Exile. The modern albums are totally in keeping with the approach of Exile — with its gospel choirs, horn sections, treated vocals, percussion washes and guitar orchestration, there is a veritable studio smorgasbord on top of the "raw" basic Exile tracks everyone praises.

Dave Hoos and pdenny like this.
  15. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

In honor of all the "everything Stones since 1981 has sucked" posts, I listened to Disc 4 of the super-deluxe "Grrr!" - and I frickin' LOVED it! :laugh:

16. serge

serge Forum Resident

I really think we've seen the last album of original material from the Stones

17. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

They've released two albums and a bit since then. Exile deluxe and Some Girls deluxe, Mick is probably writing (finishing) songs right now for Sticky Fingers Deluxe...

Clanceman likes this.
  18. old school

old school Senior Member

No I don't think will ever see a new album. The Stones don't make albums anymore. According to Mick there is no money in it.

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Their too cheap to have to pay royaltys to other artist.

jumpinjulian likes this.
  20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I was that way until the big Stones album by album thread got rolling here. I had never heard UNDERCOVER or BRIDGES TO BABYLON but now they're in constant rotation. The others don't do much for me but I've cherry picked them to create a pretty enjoyable single disc for the car.

Spiritual Architect and cc-- like this.
  21. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I hope so:cheers:

GodShifter likes this.
  22. CupOfDreams

Maybe so but the feel of Exile and Steel Wheels is night and day to me.

Dave Hoos and old school like this.
  23. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

I can see it now. An album of blues covers from the Chess label. The front cover of the LP; Charley and Buddy Guy playing chess in Grant Park

serge likes this.
  24. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Of course the album title would be "The Stones Play Chess"

Zeki, serge and John Fell like this.
  25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

They did it for Stripped.

botley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.