It has been (10) years since the last Rolling Stones album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

i'm fine with them never releasing another album. they've transitioned fully to "looking back/legacy preservation" mode in the last 10 years. i feel like Keith's book sealed the deal with all of that, weirdly enough...it was kind of a bigger statement than any Stones album or concert tour could actually be. (and i'm sure Mick was none too pleased with that, never mind what's in the book.)

2. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I think they are capable of making another decent record if they really set their minds to it. They should go back to their roots and take their time doing it. Remember, the Beatles ended with Abbey Road when everyone thought they were finished. Quality not quantity is what is required.

Nielsoe likes this.
  3. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Bigger Bang was good. One more record would be fine by me. Blues, back to basics,... it would work.

Carserguev likes this.
  4. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

They're not going to come up with a new track as good as either of those two.

"Doom And Gloom", which I think is great, was better than I expected and probably as good as anything they're likely to come up with nowadays.

Unless they go back to that country/blues/rock 'n' roll style again.

5. Dave Hoos

They're too cheap to pay royalties to their own band members!

Six Bachelors, Zeki and John Fell like this.
  6. martini

martini Forum Resident

I thought the Stones last album that was pretty good was Voodoo Lounge, but the last one that I would consider great was Tattoo You. It would really surprise me if they made another truly great album, but it would be cool. So would seeing them drop their ticket prices so the average fan can get back in. I'm not counting on either at this point.

I would especially love to see another album and tour from Keef and the Winos. That would be fantastic.

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Evan, while I hope that "A Bigger Bang" won't be the final studio album, Jagger basically stated in 2013 that he fears fans don't want to hear new material.

I took that as more of a non-answer than anything, because he didn't actually confirm nor deny the possibility of a new album in the future.

Here is a link and some tidbits from the 2013 article below:

However, guitarist Keith Richards hopes the front man will change his mind about a new record once the veteran musicians conclude their upcoming summer tour.

He adds, “The time to record a band is once they’ve been on the road a while so they’re hot. We’ll think about that while we’re doing this (tour). The world needs more Stones records. So do I.”

http://blog.sfgate.com/dailydish/2013/04/12/mick-jagger-fans-dont-want-a-new-rolling-stones-album/

Turntable likes this.
  8. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Not interested in anything other than a kickass rock 'n' roll album of all new compositions.
    Stuff the idea of a blues album featuring covers or anything similar.
    If they can't do this then I'd rather have nothing.
    Also get rid of Chuck, Darryl, Lisa, Bernard and Don Was for any new recording.

9. Dave Hoos

No, keep Chuck. Who else would you get to play piano?

Carserguev and botley like this.
  10. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Al Kooper

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Not sure if Al Kooper would do it these days. He is actually a forum member here. The last time I talked to him on here, he said he was working on compiling a career retrospective boxed set of his career that would have quite a few unreleased tracks on it.

theMess, Zeki, melstapler and 2 others like this.
  12. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

You could say that about the early ('Franken')albums, but those were released in a time-span of two years. Since Aftermath (1966, 55 minutes!!) everything has been album-length and I'n not even counting the a's and b's!!!

13. Vernoona

Vernoona Well-Known Member

remember, The Beatles were in their late 20's when they made their last record

14. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

???

Bowie's previous 2 albums Reality and Heathen were excellent albums and critical reviews were well received as well.

Spiritual Architect likes this.
  15. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Double post

16. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Agree
    And Continental Drift is one of the great Stones albums.

17. Zack

Zack Senior Member

Almost Hear You Sigh is also a Keith song, first tracked with the Winos. A version with him on vocals circulates. Steel Wheels is a very good album, like all the post Dirty Work offerings. No idea why they all get slagged so badly, as if they could ever be capable of making Let It Bleed or Sticky Fingers over and over again.

18. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Your loss.

19. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Some Girls is the most recent one in my collection. Kudos to them for not making a new album every year just to get something out there. If they can come up with another truly great one, it will be worth waiting for.

20. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

No, their time has been and gone. They are a live "greatest hits" band now. They are no longer relevant recording artists.

Zeki and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  21. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I would love to hear A Bigger Bang with a decent mastering. The compression destroyed that album. As for a new album they should look back to the country blues feel of Beggars/Bleed. I actually think they could pull it off. Was out, White in, analog recording, oh for crying out loud, we know it's not gonna happen!!

22. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I'm not happy about it but albums are pretty much on the way out with CDs in a downward spiral and LPs a niche market. The Stones would probably do just as well crafting an excellent single. Many groups back in the day were singles bands and got along fine.

If not that then remix all their later stereo albums to Mono and release a Mono Vinyl and CD Box. It worked well for some other band recently.;)

23. botley

botley Forum Resident

Thank God Jack White won't happen, he is the worst collaborator they've had in the past ten years.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

Collaborator? He did an on stage duet. Wasn't his fault they sucked at that particular point!

JoeRockhead, pablorkcz and JoeF. like this.
  25. jimbags

jimbags Forum Resident

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.