It has been (10) years since the last Rolling Stones album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

It has been nine years, indeed.
    And somehow I still think they've got one more great one in 'em.

Carserguev and botley like this.
  2. botley

botley Forum Resident

I feel the same way about the Beatles, but I wouldn't want McCartney to do another Run Devil Run. That was horrendous.

More like THIS, please.

Carserguev and howlinrock like this.
  3. I kind of hope they never make a new record... their grade point average keeps getting hurt with each release

hammer99, Millington, sami and 2 others like this.
  4. Expectant One

Expectant One Well-Known Member

Ah, averages never tell the whole story anyway. If a new album would include two or three new killer songs, then it would be worth it, in my opinion. :)

Carserguev, zen, Mazzy and 1 other person like this.
  5. alchemy

alchemy Forum Resident

I think they have been graded on the curve for quite a while now. Since Some Girls?

Record a album of covers of their all time favorite songs. Just like the ol days, turn the covers into Stones songs.
    Use the old boot title Dartforf Renegades. And I'm in.

6. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I hope they still have one more in them. I know Keith would be up for it...if not, I'd be equally happy with a new X-Pensive Winos album.

DreamIsOver likes this.
  7. vinylphile

vinylphile Forum Resident

They've had nothing new to say for 30 years. Enough already!

hammer99 and JohnnyQuest like this.
  8. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

9. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I'm ambivalent about it. I didn't care at all for A Bigger Bang and haven't really loved a new Stones album since Voodoo Lounge, but I generally can find a couple of songs on each later album that I like and would be good on a "later era comp".
    Plus, there is a little bit of a nostalgia thing going. The Stones have been putting out records since I was 12, so they've always been a part of my life. It would be kind of sad to realize they are no longer an actual rccording band, just a touring greatest hit's machine.

I can't understand some of the vitriol in this thread directed towards the Stones though. Did they kill any forum members relatives that I don't know about ?:D

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    hardknox and nojasa like this.
  10. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Idea:

Get The Stones into a studio with Jack White as producer. Lay down 45 minutes of 'live' off the floor tunes, with little overdubbing. ie: a good hard rockin' bluesy album in the vein of the spirit of their late 60's/early 70's vibe (hell, even throw in a Some Girls vibe for fun) and then after the album's release, retire.

11. Good idea. A Stones album that can't be played by mere mortals.

12. johnny 99

Too much filler. It should have only been a 45 minute album.
    Remove:
    Moon Is Up
    Brand New Car
    Suck On The Jugular
    Mean Disposition
    ...you've got a better, shorter album.

keith65 likes this.
  13. johnny 99

Steel Wheels was great in it's day IMO (I still like it as it brings back some fond memories for me as it was released on my 30th Birthday!) A rejuvinated Stones and the following tour was the best I ever saw them (CNE Stadium Sept 1989)

14. Glenn Christense

That's the deal though. We can always shorten an album if there are still some tracks we think are really good. Whether it's the full album as released, or your ( or whomever) shortened version, it's still a good album to many of us. I'll take an album with too many tracks. The problem arises when no matter how many tracks are removed, the rest of them are ho-hum. Then no amount of pruning leaves a good album.:D

15. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

I would keep Moon is Up and Mean Disposition and leave of I Go Wild and Sweethearts. In the vinyl days it could have been a great single LP album. Now we just got the outtakes and b-sides on the album? ;)

16. Lil' Brian

Lil' Brian Forum Resident

They're not going to be around forever. New music? Sure, why not? It's only rock and roll.

JL6161 and zen like this.
  17. Glenn Christense

That's the problem. The tracks you remove, won't be the tracks johnny 99 removes , which won't be the tracks I might remove, etc.

So give me all the tracks... and i'll decide which I keep and which I drop.:D

Mark Wilson, Carserguev and keith65 like this.
  18. Davido

Davido ...assign someone to butter your muffin?

Assumed Hurricane was a response to the Hurricane Katrina tragedy in New Orleans.

19. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

They predicted itunes!:p

20. Glenn Christense

Exactly! Geniuses! :D

21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

'Doom and Gloom' would be a good theme song for Microsoft at the moment...

cc-- and Music Geek like this.
  22. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

If the Stones are really using the "fans only want to hear old songs" line, they are assuming those boring old fans are more stupid than they really are. Fans want to hear good songs more than bad ones, and they Stones don't consistently come up with those as often as they did in the 60's. I'm a fan who has longed for much more studio output from the band for the last quarter century, and gotten precious little. If the Stones had made good records in the past couple of decades, people would like them.

Blaming the fans ("you don't want new stuff, so we won't give it to you") is a really lame cop-out. If they just said something like "Geez, we're in our seventies, we can't crank them out like we could in our twenties", I'd accept it. There is no crime in becoming old. I think the real reason is that there just isn't a lot of inspiration left in Jagger/Richard's heads, and despite their public shows of camaraderie, I suspect that they really don't like each other very much, and are disinclined to work together except when it's time to pay the bills. Whatever the reason, it's a little condescending and disingenuous to say Rolling Stones fans don't want an album of new Rolling Stones music.

23. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Besides the Exile and Some Girls bonus discs, they have also released enough stray tracks in the last decade or so, that could go fine as a fine album or Rarities Anthology:

Don't Stop (2002)
    Keys To Your Love (2002)
    Stealing My Heart (2002)
    Losing My Touch (2002)
    Hurricane (2002)
    Under The Radar (2005)
    Don't Wanna Go Home (2005)
    Watching The River Flow (2011)
    Doom And Gloom (2012)
    One More Shot (2012)

Live tracks released on singles, compilations and so on, include:

Dance Pt. 1 (Paris 2003)
    Before They Make Me Run (Paris 2003)
    Hand Of Fate (Paris 2003)
    Undercover Of The Night (Beacon Theatre 2006)
    You Got Me Rocking (12-12-12 Sandy relief)
    Jumpin' Jack Flash (12-12-12 Sandy relief)
    Happy (Hyde Park 2013)
    Bitch (Hyde Park 2013)
    All Down The Line (Hyde Park 2013)
    Beast Of Burden (Hyde Park 2013)

Remixes (excluding promo remixes):

Don't Stop (New Rock mix)
    Rain Fall Down (will.i.am remix)
    Rain Fall Down (Ashley Beedle's Heavy Disco radio edit)
    Rain Fall Down (Ashley Beetle's Heavy Disco Vocal re-edit)
    Doom And Gloom (Benni Bennassi remix)
    Doom And Gloom (Jeff Bhasker mix)
    One More Shot (Jeff Bhasker mix)

Exile On Main Street (Deluxe Edition):

Plundered My Soul (radio mix) MORE MICK TAYLOR!
    All Down The Line (japanese bonus track)

Some Girls (Deluxe Edition):

So Young (Piano version)

alchemy, John Fell and botley like this.
  24. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

there was a really amazing article i think in slate magazine a few years back.if not mistaken it was a fictional take on mick jagger's reply to keith in his then recent autobiography.it talked about there later body of work and how no one could name any songs and that type of thing.....my memory might be off on this......

25. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

You folks need to check out the Voodoo Brew/Voodoo Stew/Voodoo Residue boots to see how great an album VL could have been if they hadn't gone OTT on the production. Meanwhile, here's a Keith song you might know:

Carserguev likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.