It has been (10) years since the last Rolling Stones album.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Jul 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

No ain't gonna happen. There's a lot of "what if's" in regards to latter day Stones. They're not gonna do what a lot of us want them to do. Shorter albums, scaled down tours, Mick and Keith actually writing together and so on. We got what we got the past 30+ years, take it or leave it. Looking back I enjoyed the 6 shows I attended and I also like some of the music they recorded. But most of all I guess I just liked the fact that they were/ are still around. After all they're still the f##*+<g Stones!!

Meyer likes this.
  2. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

It might be the way that you make your points, Serge. It's not necessarily a "stupid waste of time" to make an album, but it may not make economic sense, given other options for use of their time. I think that A Bigger Bang (like all of their studio albums) topped most album charts in the world, and has sold somewhere near 3 million copies. If you figure $10.00 - $12.00 per album, that's about $30 - $35 million in revenues generated worldwide. That's not bad, and better than most other veteran acts. But writing, recording and producing a new album of 16 tracks takes time, something that the Stones don't have a lot of. A live Stones performance can generate $5 - $10 million in ticket sales alone (not including merchandise) for one night of work. The shows in Europe were incredibly successful - all sold out (prices averaged $150 - $200 per ticket) and were attended by old and young alike; people seem to be willing to pay for the live performance; the two I saw in Stockholm and Paris were fantastic.

It just seems to be a better use of their time (at least financially) to spend their time touring.

Bryan Harris likes this.
  3. The Beatles recorded their entire output in less time and the Stones recorded all their greatest records in less time too.

4. serge

serge Forum Resident

yeah...but things have changed dramatically in the record biz since 2006... they would sell nowhere near that many units of any new record and they know it... you can have a number one record these days with 40,000 units.. you know that!.. the days of selling 500,000 the first week for rock and roll are done....its a whole different ballgame.... so they would not sell that many units or make that revenue..just because it was that way in 2006 dont mean its so in 2015

and its not a "stupid waste of time" for me but we know the way mick is and he ain't going to change.....

5. old school

old school Senior Member

Dude that is very childish. You might get five people to read your review now!

6. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

It's been 30 years since their last good album.

hammer99 and Use_Your_Koala like this.
  7. zen

zen Senior Member

I care!
    I'm glad a few of my "old" favorites (beside the Rolling Stones and Moody Blues) don't feel like you and do still make some new albums.

A stupid waste of time? It doesn't say a lot about your faith in these guys as musicians.
    I personally find a lot of late career albums to be equally enjoyable and usually the albums I reach for over the overplayed oldies albums.

Sometimes, I think there's a jealousy for bands with a long history with solid albums all along the way, while they're favorite....
    retired from new music and there's no material to look forward to, so it's essentially settling for bottom of the barrel outtakes, etc. But hey, the legacy remains intact. :laugh:

8. botley

botley Forum Resident

That's more people than are participating in the thread now.

old school likes this.
  9. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Stones' legacy is pretty daunting. 50 years, 25 (?) studio albums and, except for their US debut album, every one placed in the top 5 on both the US and UK charts. For whatever reason, people just love the Stones.

zen likes this.
  10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

On the positive side, the current stage act is quite impressive. I'd see a show if they come back to my area.

11. keith65

keith65 Forum Resident

They played Roskilde this summer, returning to their old "knebworth" stage. The whole event was covered by media more than I have ever seen, including a 6 hour Stones special on national radio, and the concert was live updated on newspapers. The whole concert was special because it brought generations together at Roskilde festival and sort of symbolized an end and beginning of an era. Very special night for many people. The concert had mixed reviews, and was debated among critics and people in many days after, but from people I know, it was great concert.

12. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I wasn't there, but I saw a video of the 16+ minute version of Midnight Rambler they played that night. It would have been worth going just for that.

Carserguev and keith65 like this.
  13. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

If anything it should be an ep that you get for free when you buy tickets for the show.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Your opinion, which you're entitled to. I've liked some of the albums that they have released in the last 30 years.

15. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Whatever the Stones have given us, I'm grateful for. More? For sure, but if not I'm cool with the stuff to date. Not likely they'll get any better, only 50/50 whether it will come anywhere near the past few decades. There's so much stuff that STILL bears repeated listening.

16. Jlbrach

Jlbrach Forum Resident

The band's last release was their 2012 greatest hits album, ‘GRRR!’, which featured two new songs. Prior to that, the band’s last studio album was their 2005 release, ‘A Bigger Bang’.
    Jagger has revealed the rockers had been toying with the idea of making another record, but he fears fans now only want to hear the band's classic hits when they perform live.
    "It would be nice to have a new album, but people don't like the new album when you play it on stage. They glumly look at you. 'OK, it will be over in a minute.' It's not a good excuse, but it's the truth and has to be said."

sadly this is because the newer material is lousy,when was the last time the stones made an album worth listening to?.....the same can be said for pretty much all of the classic bands....they can still play the music live but the creative juices dried up decades ago

17. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

I agree with Mick...in fact, I saw them in Detroit right after A Bigger Bang came out, and I felt exactly the way he is talking about. Nobody really wants to go see the stones to hear "Rough Justice"

JoeRockhead likes this.
  18. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

You may get your wish on that second part much sooner than you'd expect. Something close to it anyway.

19. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

It's called A Bigger Bang...very enjoyable.

Shak Cohen and Golden Richards like this.
  20. Does it matter when the next Stones album will be out? Surely their ability to make good new stuff is well and truly gone. I stopped at Tattoo You.

old school likes this.
  21. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Your loss.

Shak Cohen, JDeanB, bonus and 3 others like this.
  22. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

Undercover 7/10
    Dirty Work 4/10
    Steel Wheels 6/10
    Voodoo Lounge 8/10
    Bridges to Babylon 7/10
    A Bigger Bang 8/10

And then there is Stripped 10/10

ssmith3046 and Carserguev like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I'd be fine with that instead of a new Stones record. Keith is the one really keeping the flame alive anyway.

24. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I agree the albums have been too long, but that was the trend at the time. Thankfully, most bands/producers have realized that a solid, cohesive 40 minutes of music is far better than a mixed bag of material that doesn't hang together and is 70+ minutes long.

I thought Doom and Gloom was a knockout, just a GREAT song. I can see why they were disappointed it didn't do better, but they need to focus on the fact that they can still do such good work, and have some confidence that the world will catch on.

My Rolling Stones career prescription:
    Late 2014, in time for the Christmas market - release a single cd/double lp comp of post Steel Wheels material. There is more than enough good stuff to seriously challenge the notion that the Stones dried up decades ago, especially if they use some of the rawer original mixes I remember hearing for Voodoo Lounge - it's just damn vital, good stuff. Live versions of newer songs are acceptable, live versions of older songs are not. In one fell swoop they would get some much-needed cred and insure that more people at their shows actually know their stuff.

Early spring 2015 - month long US theater/small arena tour - 5,000 to 8,000 seaters with minimal stage gear to drag around. The Rolling Stones being on stage is enough. Since 80,000 seat stadiums aren't required there are plenty of places to play that the Stones have never been to. Get out in the sticks, play for the people and make them listen to some of your newer stuff. They'll be too excited to get upset about it...

Summer 2015 - drop a new album, 40 minutes. Make it good. Go on TV to promote it, hit SNL and also find a late night show that the kiddies like which will let you do a longer set. It shouldn't be hard, you are the Rolling Stones. Follow up with another small scale tour in the fall, of England.

Early spring 2016, drop another new album, also good. Keep the momentum rolling.

Congratulations, the greatest rock and roll band in the world is back on top.

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I find every Stones album worth listening to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.