It Looks Like Criterion is About to Go UHD.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Claus LH, Aug 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident Thread Starter

We were waiting; we were guessing...this is a cut/paste quote from 'The Digital Bits' in their time line of UHD releases so far:

"THE CRITERION COLLECTION
    • Watch for Criterion's first 4K title to be announced soon (Spine #1001+) – TBA Late 2019"
    Good news, bad news...
    On one hand, we may finally get to see what some of the established classics look like on UHD disc.
    On the other hand, this could mean the culling and selling of the BR standard works already on the shelf...

We'll see what it all means, but that is the first I have seen mentioned of Criterion jumping in.

C.

2. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Spoiler: It's Michael Bay's Armageddon.

3. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I wonder if there is a chance that regular BDs will be included with the 4K? They had the dual format BD/DVD, but that didn't go over too well for some reason.

4. The Hud

If it was Armageddon, it would most likely keep the same spine # as the DVD.

longdist01 likes this.
  5. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Not if it's the rumored: Armageddon Redux Final Director's Cut Edition.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

WOW! I hope they keep the BD as well...or it's going to be a force fed format...I have no interest in buying a new TV, 4K player at the moment but I like Criterion...

Jrr likes this.
  7. Michael

now that's exciting since I'm stuck with their non anamorphic DC DVD...which really blows. Is this scheduled or just a rumor?

8. Michael

I'm am quite excited by this! love this movie...pure entertainment!

GregM likes this.
  9. The Hud

He is trolling you.

JediJoker and Michael like this.
  10. Michael

trolling us...too bad for me...: ( well at least I got a few seconds of excitement.

11. Michael

naughty naughty...

12. The Hud

Fair enough. :)

13. Michael

not I, Sir! BD is perfect for my movie needs...I'm still happy with it. : )

SBurke and Reader like this.
  14. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I can’t think of many of their films that would really benefit from the 4K upgrade. It’s just another reason to sell us the catalog again.

arley, mikeyt, SBurke and 4 others like this.
  15. Michael

Indeed...really though? not coming out? damn I wanted this so bad! : )

16. The Hud

The DVD is "currently unavailable" on the Criterion website, so it is possible Criterion doesn't have the rights anymore.

Michael likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

4k means nothing to me. I'm practically sitting on top of standard Blu ray, and I have to lean forward even closer to see the HD effect. All the technology on the planet means nothing when your eyes are old, and tired.

SBurke and LaserKen like this.
  18. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

:unhunh:

Michael likes this.
  19. audiomixer

Not going there. Blu Ray is my last pit stop.

SBurke, Michael, Jrr and 2 others like this.
  20. Michael

yea, too bad...but that DVD was gone LONG AGO...they never upgraded it to anamorphic so they must have lost the rights years ago! we will never see that version again! damn...the DVD is useless...thanks.

21. Michael

ha ha !

22. MPLRecords

MPLRecords Owner of eleven copies of Tug of War

I have maybe 30 or 40 of the Criterion titles on DVD and/or Blu-Ray. I'm sticking with those, no matter what other format they come up with.

Myke and audiomixer like this.
  23. audiomixer

Quite honestly, I don’t see this as a smart move in the long run.

Michael likes this.
  24. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yup...I am absolutely done as well. I own hundreds of blu-rays like many of you and there is no way I am upgrading again. VHS hi-fi/Laserdisc/dvd/blu-ray...I’m done. I don’t think that many people are jumping to 4K to buy disc players and discs. 4k just happens to be what is in new flatscreens, but I don’t think most people are purposely upgrading because of 4k. Will be a huge mistake if studios try dumping blu-ray. I am beginning to have trouble sourcing blank blu-ray discs and covers for my production company though...that’s a bad sign. So tired of all the format upgrading games.

Michael likes this.
  25. Michael

yes, we've been getting screwed for years and so much money invested/wasted on crummy formats...from VHS on up it's been a rough road...I finally upgrade to a widescreen TV and BD and then they hit us with 4K which is really getting a huge push lately...I'm done, I'm good with BD I love it and it will be last format for me...BUT when this TV goes I may only be able to buy a 4k...this bothers me a bit...when and if they stop BD and only offer 4k I'll just buy BD USED...I have thousands of DVDs as well...I'm good. : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.