It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

The chops galore show, plus Kenny tells great stories and John is very articulate speaking on music,

John Campilongo
    Kenny Burrell
    Adrian Belew

The loose as a goose dazzler,

Eddie Van Halen
    Albert Lee
    John McLaughlin

Good clean fun,

Bonnie Raitt
    Keith Richards
    Al Anderson

Heavy!,

Wino
    Buzz Osborne
    Tony Iommi

Slidin' Some Slide,

Sonny Landreth
    Roy Rodgers
    Derek Trucks

Fullbug likes this.
  2. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

THANK YOU! I feel most of the responses regarding 'take out JW, Edge is the best' are all coming from people who don't understand/play guitar or are just too involved being U2 fans :shrug:

I love JW but yes his personality and vibe are unusual and almost negative. However, JW is much closer to a caliber of JP playing then the Edge IMO... I love the part when Edge goes over a famous riff, all distorted and sustained and really looks into it. Then he dials down the gain and reveals he's simply playing 3 basic chords :crazy:

Greenalishi likes this.
  3. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

Baddi Assad
    Luciana Souza
    Ry Cooder

David Rawlings
    Johnny Marr
    Buddy Miller

Baaba Maal
    Femi Kuti
    Ernest Ranglin

Eddie Van Halen
    Leslie West
    Tad Doyle

Brian May
    Billy Corigan
    Billy Duffy

4. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Lol, most of the guitarists named in lieu of Edge or White would barely get the documentary onto Netflix, much less into the theaters.

5. petem1966

petem1966 Forum Resident

The Unforgettable Fire is such a great guitar album, almost a showcase. The Edge is a fantastic guitarist.

6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Anyone who can actually improvise. Edge, play the blues! :p:biglaugh:

Fullbug and mick_sh like this.
  7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

A lot of folk here really have a one dimensional view of what you are able to do with a guitar.

Oliver, Tuco, BadJack and 2 others like this.
  8. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Even though he ignored Bono's request and didn't play the blues at all, that Silver & Gold live solo is fabulous. Not difficult to play but utterly fabulous.

9. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Page playing air guitar on Link Wray - Rumble. That was very cool!

Greenalishi and wavethatflag like this.
  10. Django

Django Forum Resident

I like that his style is not blues based. I love blues & blues rock but I think its takes a bit more imagination to not use them.

Greenalishi and sunking101 like this.
  11. Sebastian saglimbenI

Sebastian saglimbenI Forum Resident

Billy zoom......Adrian belew......

12. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Michael J. Fox

Fullbug and Greenalishi like this.
  13. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

But again, as a guitar player I feel like the people who go "The Edge" is too simply is missing the point of the way he plays guitar. So what if he is only playing 3 basic chords? He knows how to use processing to make it sound unique and great within the context of the music he is playing on and to me that is all that matters

petem1966 and sunking101 like this.
  14. BillyMacQ

BillyMacQ Forum Resident

Yeah, most of you should never quit your day jobs to become movie producers, or music critics. My God, the snobbery on full display here.
    Some obscure or cult status guitarist is never going to make it into a mainstream documentary. No way, no how. Why? It won't make money.
    And some of you are proposing dead guitarists! Yes, by all means, let's dig up Roy Buchanan and get him in there instead of The Edge. Great idea...
    Ay yay yay...

Love,
    Billy

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  15. sunking101

Three chords and the truth.;)

HotelYorba101 likes this.
  16. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

And plus all in all its just a fun little movie of three guitar players hanging out, this isn't supposed to be "the three guitar players who stylistically play best with each other" or "the three objectively best guitar players ever", this is just three dudes who are hanging out and talking about music and their past.

petem1966 likes this.
  17. Mike Reynolds

I guess I assumed this thread was just a fun little exercise, and not something to be taken too seriously (if at all).

Because the band originally formed as a quasi post-punk band so you have to assume they were never looking for a guitar virtuoso in the first place, right?

Regardless of how artistically limited U2 may be, I think the sum of the parts (bass, guitar, drums) is greater than the whole (or something like that). Individually, they all compliment each other and no one in the band is greater than the others (even though Bono is the universally acknowledged leader on-stage and off), and that's what makes their music so great, imo. To say George Lynch should've replaced The Edge is like saying David Lee Roth should've been their front man. Can you picture that? I'll give you a minute...

18. sunking101

No guitarist could have written the music for The Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby except The Edge. Consider that. Three classic albuns chocked with top songs overflowing with tasty guitar.

petem1966 and Mike Reynolds like this.
  19. Mike Reynolds

Right. And if DLR was their frontman, all their song lyrics could've been written in the style of Mexican greeting cards. :D

20. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

One problem: nobody knows who Billy Duffy is.

21. Mike Reynolds

Billy Duffy is one fine guitar player. If he were in U2, I dare say he would be a household name.

22. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

But he’s not a household name. That is the point.

nodeerforamonth likes this.
  23. Norco74

And do remember who were producing or co-producing these albums... Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno.

24. sunking101

George Martin, Jeff Lynne and Costello have produced Paul McCartney. Are you saying that Lanois & Eno wrote the songs and the guitar parts?

25. Norco74

Nope I am not saying that.

They worked with the cream of the crop and the best of the band came out on these albums you have listed. I would also add Zooropa to your list.

I wonder why all of this acrimony about the Edge playing style. He’s a fine guitar player, final point. I would however like to hear him in another outing than U2. I think he wrote some movie soundtrack, Captive IIRC.

At their peak, U2 were the main act in the 80’s while all of the other big ones were under the radar for a while after the punk era.
    They were able to sustain that long which is not the case for many of this generation bands.

I am mot a fan but rather an objective music listener.

sunking101 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.