It Might Get Loud - Name a substitute for The Edge

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mick_sh, Feb 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I seem to recall in an interview that Jimmy said he doesn't drive anywhere.

2. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond Thread Starter

He only drives through Kashmir.

3. ktg807

ktg807 Forum Resident

Ira Kaplan, Thurston Moore or Nels Cline.

4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Haven't seen the film in a while, but I think that was a London taxi Jimmy took to get to Headley Grange. Typical British-looking car, though I don't know if their taxis are actually made anywhere in England anymore.

Hard to believe Jimmy never learned to drive! Then again, maybe he never really had to...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
  5. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

The limos driven into swimming pools would support that. :p

6. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

"The Blues", as you put it, that is common ground for many musicians AND music fans, and is most likely why I am more a fan of both Page and White over The Edge.

And that's no disrespect to the Edge or what he's accomplished - love the 80s/early 90s stuff...but, see...blues is BLOOD.

that's all.

ConnieGuitar and mick_sh like this.
  7. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I think I understand the source of the acrimony because I've heard it so many times. It stems from the silly idea that if you can't or don't or won't play lotsa fast notes, you can't possibly make worthwhile music. In my experience, the attitude mostly comes from insecure musicians.

I used to fall into that trap myself, but I like to think I'm mostly free from it now. The way I prefer to look at it is that the end justifies the means. If the resultant music is interesting, colorful, dramatic, evocative, and emotionally satisfying, it matters little what the player's chops are. In this case, Edge has plenty enough chops to make U2 music, but more importantly he has a musical vision and great ideas which he is able to bring out into the world. If people think he just stands there thoughtlessly pressing random buttons and music comes out... well, they really don't know anything about music or art.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    telepicker97, Norco74 and dkmonroe like this.
  8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Similarly, I'm a bass player, and I've loved Adam Clayton's bass playing ever since I got the October album back in '81. One of the reasons I've always loved Clayton is that I can HEAR him. Big, fat bass sound which is often the hook for the song. I'm always surprised that he's considered by so many armchair experts to be a joke.

9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Yet another moronic thread clearly designed with the sole purpose of bashing U2 (this time via The Edge)

The Edge is one of the most original, influential and brilliant guitarists of the last 37 years or so.

Many on this forum will go to every length to praise a guitarist like John Mayer whose music is utter shyte, and yet they'll attack a guitar player like The Edge.

BS like this is why I don't post on this forum much anymore.

carrolls likes this.
  10. muckyfingers

muckyfingers Forum Resident

The Edge was great, I never realized how much effort he put into creating his own unique sounds for his pedal effects.

11. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

If an alien logged onto this forum for the first time they would be forgiven for assuming that the Monkees were one of the biggest and most influential bands ever and that U2 were just a skidmark in the anals of history. Thats the narrative here. Not a biggie for me.

12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Amen.
    I'm an accomplished musician in my area, and am a fairly decent guitarist in my own right. I've played guitar in rock bands, blues bands, the CMSU Collegiate Jazz Ensemble...and maybe the Edge can't do what I do, but I tell ya what - I can't do what he does, either.

But I'd have to guess that the Edge is along the lines of a Paul Stanley, or even a Chris Robinson or Mick Jagger; to whit, when someone writes hit songs and plays guitar onstage in front of thousands of people professionally for 2 or 3 or 4 (or more) decades, well...they probably don't suck.

May not be your thing, ymmv, juss' saine and all that.

13. mick_sh

I’m so sorry. Next time I will ask for your permission not only to post here, but to have my own thoughts and likes.

14. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

It's hard to take someone seriously when they complain about bashing one artist while they are at the same time bashing another artist.

15. mick_sh

Who is bashing who? I’ve said several times in this very thread that I like U2 and The Edge as a guitar player. What I said too is that I don’t think The Edge fits well in that movie. Is that a sin? Is that bashing?

16. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

I refer to the author of the post I responded to, not you.

mick_sh likes this.
  17. dudley07726

dudley07726 Forum Resident

Edge= over hyped.

18. mick_sh

:tiphat:

19. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

Evidently not on this forum.
    Judging him as the sole guitar player in a guitar band that has been releasing classic albums and crushing touring records for decades, I would say that he has done better than practically every other guitarist during that time and he also has his own instantly recognisable sound...which is no mean feat at all.

Gary Moore is my favourite player and I love Randy Rhoads, EVH, Clapton, Slash, Brian May, Malmsteen, Gilbert etc etc etc so I know all about the blues, metal, shredding and how lil' ole Edge doesn't seem as impressive next to that lot. Well in his own way he's very impressive. A great rhythm player, orchestrator and writer who is also adept at simple melodic lead playing. He's an innovator with his use of effects. He's a key member of one of the biggest bands of all time. His fellow guitarists respect him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.